P500 P500 Intermittent Power Issue

K

Kcarr22

Feb 17, 2021
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Guys,

My P500 had some sort of electrical draw we couldn’t figure out so I had a master power switch installed to prevent a dead battery. That worked great for over two years.

Now twice in the last two weeks, I’ve randomly lost power from a perfectly good battery. I go to start up my machine, flip the master power switch and get the led indicator light to light up, but then turn the key and no power. Nothing. The dash display does nothing. No fuel pump sound.

Last week when it happened, I was able to adjust some wires, tighten the battery connections and as I was sitting there staring at the stupid thing frustrated, I heard the fuel pump kick on and the dash display lit up.

It happened again today but no matter how much jiggling and tightening, no dice.

Anyone else have something similar happen or any idea where to start to get this fixed?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As my old Pappy use to say…
If you dont know where to start, go back to the beginning.

You didnt say what accessories you have? Year, miles?
You need to start with a full battery and disconnect and leave disconnected each accessory, one buy one (not all at once ) for a while and see if the problem persist. If it does not, then that accessory or how its hooked up is your problem.
If none of them cause it, then you can start getting into starter draws, ignition switch and the like. Cant jump all over or you will beat yourself up. Work Smarter not Harder😉

On a side note…2 years and just now trying to fix it?😳 yikes

K

Kcarr22

Feb 17, 2021
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, thanks. I probably could have been more clear. The phantom draw issue was solved (or at least managed sufficiently) two years ago when we installed the master power switch.

This new issue is separate. No power anywhere except the led light on the master power switch. Fully charged battery.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey, thanks. I probably could have been more clear. The phantom draw issue was solved (or at least managed sufficiently) two years ago when we installed the master power switch.

This new issue is separate. No power anywhere except the led light on the master power switch. Fully charged battery.

Why did u add the master power switch?
This is an add on right?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Ok never mind, I re read your last post.
Im a service tech. In my trade, you dont ever install something to mask or to “manage” a situation and leave it especially for electrical issues. That should be very temporary. If something wasnt meant to be on a system and u install something to Mask it (better word than “manage” for this) the problem wont get any better, in fact more times than none, it will get worse like in this case. So the service tech in me if I came to look at your problem, that so called “master switch” would come off now and things back to normal and I would start at the beginning in my diag. Refer to post #2. Till I figure it out. Your life will be much better doing so. You may not like that, but like it or not, you now have 2 problems thats making your mind go 🤯 and thats not fun for anyone. You must find the root cause to problem 1 before problem 2
And I bet problem 1 will fix problem 2😉
As always, come back with results and when u fix it. Dont leave us hanging like Epstine🥳

One more thing. Forum etiquette unsolicited advice here. When u respond to someone, hit the reply button and or tag them like this @Kcarr22 so they get a notice like you have been. Otherwise that person may never know you responded or asked a question and you will be left hanging like Epstine 👍🏻

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
It sounds like you are saying your battery is good but no electrical power when your new problem occurs. If that is the problem then I would jump across the master power cutoff you installed and check that it isn't the problem. Maybe the contacts are corroded or pitted.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It sounds like you are saying your battery is good but no electrical power when your new problem occurs. If that is the problem then I would jump across the master power cutoff you installed and check that it isn't the problem. Maybe the contacts are corroded or pitted.
How about taking the band aid off and taking it out of the loop and starting over?
All hes gonna do there is get a larger band aid

K

Kcarr22

Feb 17, 2021
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys. I hear you on the master power switch thought. That said, every boat I’ve ever owned has a master power switch, so I do see the value of them especially when my machine is stored 3 hours away, kids are on and off of it pressing buttons, etc haha. Peace of mind that everything is off when I leave and store it.

Assume there is no master power switch, what’s the progression to diagnose this sort of issue.

@Keebler @Remington

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks guys. I hear you on the master power switch thought. That said, every boat I’ve ever owned has a master power switch, so I do see the value of them especially when my machine is stored 3 hours away, kids are on and off of it pressing buttons, etc haha. Peace of mind that everything is off when I leave and store it.

Assume there is no master power switch, what’s the progression to diagnose this sort of issue.

@Keebler @Remington

Thats a boat, this is a sxs 2 totally different beasts and needed/required on a boat lol.

I would refer to post #2 on where to start and steps to follow. Thats after u have removed the masking power switch. Proses of elimination. Hope it comes to you quickly👍🏻 most of the time Ive found when servicing, its right in front of you!
You just dont know it yet😉

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thats a boat, this is a sxs 2 totally different beasts and needed/required on a boat lol.

I would refer to post #2 on where to start and steps to follow. Thats after u have removed the masking power switch. Proses of elimination. Hope it comes to you quickly👍🏻 most of the time Ive found when servicing, its right in front of you!
You just dont know it yet😉
what he said - plus get battery load tested

and list all the stuff that is bolted on as requested

By chance do you have a wireless winch remote ?

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!