P500 What’s everyone doing for music?

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been doing a bunch of research on options for getting tunes in my new 520. I’m wondering what you guys have come up with.

Sound bars have some appeal since they’re all inclusive but they take away most of the real estate available on the roll bar for other accessories and are expensive for the better ones.

There’s some interesting stuff out there with headless or minimal remotes using Bluetooth. The marine audio stuff seems like a good place to look. I’m liking the idea of a small amp with a little mounted remote. There are units that come with both but then you have to get creative with the speaker install.

There’s also those speaker pod setups or “wake tower” setups. Seems like they would be in the way in these small cabs though.

Then there are the under the roof systems with the speakers and head unit in an enclosure, but I’m not sure how they get mounted.

Lots of options out there, but everything has pros and cons. What did you guys settle on? How’d it turn out?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been doing a bunch of research on options for getting tunes in my new 520. I’m wondering what you guys have come up with.

Sound bars have some appeal since they’re all inclusive but they take away most of the real estate available on the roll bar for other accessories and are expensive for the better ones.

There’s some interesting stuff out there with headless or minimal remotes using Bluetooth. The marine audio stuff seems like a good place to look. I’m liking the idea of a small amp with a little mounted remote. There are units that come with both but then you have to get creative with the speaker install.

There’s also those speaker pod setups or “wake tower” setups. Seems like they would be in the way in these small cabs though.

Then there are the under the roof systems with the speakers and head unit in an enclosure, but I’m not sure how they get mounted.

Lots of options out there, but everything has pros and cons. What did you guys settle on? How’d it turn out?

What do you want exactly, quality sound or just sound? If you're not particular then just get a JBL bluetooth speaker. They sound good but aren't going to crank like a built system. Sound bars sound like sh** unless you add a sub, now you're getting creative with placement and adding a separate amp. Wake speakers do get in the way or hang outside the cab, not my preference.
Really depends on you and what you want. Some guys zip tie a transistor radio to the rops and claim it sounds killer. Some have 2 grand into a built system and it's still a work in progress. 🤘

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
No 520 yet, but my intention is to run a Boss Audio BRRC27 mounted to the rear rollbar, facing forward. It's a 27" amplified speaker bar with build in dome light and remote control panel. Pricey, but I think it'll work well.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a BOSS set of speakers that you mount on the front of a 4-wheeler. It plugs into the 12 volt plug and into my phone. I have a few albums downloaded to my phone and also use Pandora. I am no sound aficionado, but it sounds good to me and is water resistant and cheap. I used the Velcro straps it comes with and strapped it to the roll cage. I have a P1000 so it may be a little snug on a P500.
IMG 2571

advertisement
J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
What do you want exactly, quality sound or just sound? If you're not particular then just get a JBL bluetooth speaker. They sound good but aren't going to crank like a built system. Sound bars sound like sh** unless you add a sub, now you're getting creative with placement and adding a separate amp. Wake speakers do get in the way or hang outside the cab, not my preference.
Really depends on you and what you want. Some guys zip tie a transistor radio to the rops and claim it sounds killer. Some have 2 grand into a built system and it's still a work in progress. 🤘

Great points. My personal preference is more towards quality over more volume and a small form factor. I also appreciate a clean installation and easy to access controls or a dash mounted remote. Price wise, I’d say maybe 750 on the high end, but ideally less. Something at least water resistant would be ideal too.

Has anyone seen speakers flush mounted low in the cab? I saw a picture of a setup that basically had the rear of the speakers in the wheel well (but not completely exposed) if I remember right. Does that work or is it asking for trouble?

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
No 520 yet, but my intention is to run a Boss Audio BRRC27 mounted to the rear rollbar, facing forward. It's a 27" amplified speaker bar with build in dome light and remote control panel. Pricey, but I think it'll work well.
For soundbars, what do you think of the “ECOXGEAR® Sound Extreme Speaker Bar”? That one caught my eye and has forward facing lights and subwoofers on the ends.

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
JBL Extreme bluetooth speaker. Excellent sound, great bass response and volume. Super simple. I zip tied one months ago and have left it there. Buy 2 and pair them together for 'maximum effort' . . . :p

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t have a 500 but this is what I’m runnin..
Nice. I spotted that receiver on Amazon as well. Any issues with it? Would it work with just a hole in the dash rather than the (awesome) mounting plate setup you have?

No extra amp, right? Seems like it puts out enough power by itself.

Reactions: Isaiah
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ah! Yep that’s the one. Haha. I remembered it wrong. What are you using for the enclosures? any issues with leg room?

It doesn't cause any issues with leg room. Might have a hard time finding these pods though, SSV discontinued them a while ago. I had to do some trimming on them to make them fit right too.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!