Filling air gaps in cab

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
So several of us have been installing heaters now, the next thing that seems to come along is maxing the heaters potential. I found ALOT of gaps, tons of cold air ruining the heat out of the vents. I thought I'd share the main trouble spots I found- as it took me off and on many days of sealing to get to where I wanted it to be.

To fix these quickly, I resorted to a roll of black duct tape, and some plastic bubble insulation I had tons of handy. Not exactly high class- but its quick, and makes a large difference in comfort. Come summer, it can all be removed anyway.

1. Shifters! These puke alot of cold air. I was able to block one fairly well using a .125" thick sheet of rubber. I removed the lever, poked a square of rubber over it, and reinstalled. I still have minimal air coming out of them, but its WAY better than before.

2. Corners of the roll cage/ dash. This took me days to find, suprisingly enough. It wasn't a ton of air, but I kept feeling snow mist sprinkle my face, but couldnt tell where from. I went nuts sealing everything, but I finally found it while having the wife drive. This is a fairly small gap, but lets alot of air and mist in the cab. I stuffed a square of insulation in the gap and secured with tape.

3. Seat belts! I found my buttcheek was getting cold early on in my cab sealing adventure, and noticed theres a pretty large gap around the seat belt rewind mechanism. Once again, I sealed this off with a patch of insulation and some tape.

4. Mid screen gap- on P4's. We have a fabric midscreen and a hardtop on our P4, and the midscreen leaves a large gap between the rollbar and the top. With the rear panel down, It was better, but when it was up- hauling wood or etc., alot of wind came in. I cut a patch of insulation, and went to town with the tape, sealing the top to the rollbar. This made a huge difference early on.

5. Brake pedal/ spring, this is pretty open, and lets alot of air in. Fairly easy to fill the gap with insulation/tape.

I also used some 1"x .125" foam tape to seal the doors. As well as some extra plastic+tape work on the soft door frames, to seal up the gaps along the windshield better. Also worth mentioning, I sealed the top of windshield to the hardtop, as I had trouble getting it to seal right.

Its finally warmer here today, right around freezing, and the cab stays pretty toasty at road speeds. Its nice to leave it running while loading wood- and climb into a warm cab!

Reactions: Smitty335
L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
So several of us have been installing heaters now, the next thing that seems to come along is maxing the heaters potential. I found ALOT of gaps, tons of cold air ruining the heat out of the vents. I thought I'd share the main trouble spots I found- as it took me off and on many days of sealing to get to where I wanted it to be.

To fix these quickly, I resorted to a roll of black duct tape, and some plastic bubble insulation I had tons of handy. Not exactly high class- but its quick, and makes a large difference in comfort. Come summer, it can all be removed anyway.

1. Shifters! These puke alot of cold air. I was able to block one fairly well using a .125" thick sheet of rubber. I removed the lever, poked a square of rubber over it, and reinstalled. I still have minimal air coming out of them, but its WAY better than before.

2. Corners of the roll cage/ dash. This took me days to find, suprisingly enough. It wasn't a ton of air, but I kept feeling snow mist sprinkle my face, but couldnt tell where from. I went nuts sealing everything, but I finally found it while having the wife drive. This is a fairly small gap, but lets alot of air and mist in the cab. I stuffed a square of insulation in the gap and secured with tape.

3. Seat belts! I found my buttcheek was getting cold early on in my cab sealing adventure, and noticed theres a pretty large gap around the seat belt rewind mechanism. Once again, I sealed this off with a patch of insulation and some tape.

4. Mid screen gap- on P4's. We have a fabric midscreen and a hardtop on our P4, and the midscreen leaves a large gap between the rollbar and the top. With the rear panel down, It was better, but when it was up- hauling wood or etc., alot of wind came in. I cut a patch of insulation, and went to town with the tape, sealing the top to the rollbar. This made a huge difference early on.

5. Brake pedal/ spring, this is pretty open, and lets alot of air in. Fairly easy to fill the gap with insulation/tape.

I also used some 1"x .125" foam tape to seal the doors. As well as some extra plastic+tape work on the soft door frames, to seal up the gaps along the windshield better. Also worth mentioning, I sealed the top of windshield to the hardtop, as I had trouble getting it to seal right.

Its finally warmer here today, right around freezing, and the cab stays pretty toasty at road speeds. Its nice to leave it running while loading wood- and climb into a warm cab!
Got any pictures?

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Pipe insulation and pool noodles (pink was all I could find this time of year) and black gorilla tape. I have the parts but haven't built the heater yet...waiting on Summit to ship 4" in line hose fans.

BTW, how do we post pictures here?????

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!