DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had done some elk scouting for a friend and racked up 34 miles. Today i took my first real ride and ended up at 68 miles.

Checking out the Pioneer's starting power on steep hill for my first Youtube video from my phone...

Sorry about the quality.

Also snapped some pics: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/dg_rider ... t=3&page=1

Some examples...
IMG 2959
IMG 2956
IMG 2964

I will do a ride report when time permits.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice DG, How did these images slip past me.
Some kool shots with the snow.
Whats up with the video? Why you stop on the hill...

WAIT..... You got snow in AZ. WTF.
Ain't it like 70 deg there year round or something?
Really I have no clue. I just know its desert and from what I see on PROPERTY WARS.

I WANT SNOW... Darn it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
Nice DG, How did these images slip past me.
Some kool shots with the snow.
Whats up with the video? Why you stop on the hill...

WAIT..... You got snow in AZ. WTF.
Ain't it like 70 deg there year round or something?
Really I have no clue. I just know its desert and from what I see on PROPERTY WARS.

I WANT SNOW... Darn it.
RE: Video
I had mentioned on another board that during my first ride ( at 9 miles on the ODO ), i had some problems climbing over a couple of rocks due to gearing, and/or power. A debate ensued, much like the one some others here and i had about a members' machine not turning the tires in mud. I find it unacceptable that a machine designed for off-road use isn't geared low enough to pull itself in any realistic situation. Others felt it was justified in the situation ( its on the "other" board under my screen name if you want to read it ).

At some point, another member of that board posted a video of him climbing a hill. Actually, i should say him trying to climb a hill, as his machine just would't take off...clearly something amiss with it. Hill was probably about the same grade as in mine, so i decided to ease my mind ( or piss myself off even further ) by putting a real good load on it. The video shows that it pulled from a dead stop, so i am feeling much better about the Pioneer now. It has gained quite a bit of power so far, and still has some to go. I am confident it would now clean the rocks i had trouble with earlier.

When people think of AZ, they think cacti and blazing sun....i know i did before i moved here. Believe it or not, many areas of AZ have thick forest ( near Flagstaff is the largest stand of ponderosa pines in the US ). I live about 10 miles north of Prescott. Prescott is in the edge of a pine forest at about the same elevation as Denver, CO. Yet drive to Chino valley, and the elevation drops about 500-1000 feet, and you get high desert chaparral, like in the pics above. Snow is actually quite common here, but with the AZ sun, it rarely lasts very long since temps rise well above freezing on all but the coldest days. As the AZ saying goes: If you don't like the scenery, keep driving. In 30 minutes it will change again. BTW, drive 45 minutes south of here, and you're in the Sonoran desert where you will see the classic desert you probably imagined AZ was like. It was probably 45 today here. I'd guess it was 70-80 there.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG, Arizona is beautiful, went there in Jan 2011 for Nat Champ game, 75 in Phoenix in Jan, 20's and snow up by the Grand Canyon and went skiing near Flagstaff.

Have you noticed that you gained significantly more power as it broke in? You think trans started to grip better, engine putting out more power or a combination of the two?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ohanacreek said:
DG, Arizona is beautiful, went there in Jan 2011 for Nat Champ game, 75 in Phoenix in Jan, 20's and snow up by the Grand Canyon and went skiing near Flagstaff.

Have you noticed that you gained significantly more power as it broke in? You think trans started to grip better, engine putting out more power or a combination of the two?
Yes...a good power gain thus far. I would say this tranny gets very good grip...maybe more so than any other. You will notice in the above video that the machine simply hooks up and takes off. The Pioneer seems to get better traction than anything else. Maybe Honda is on to something with the torque converter in a single cylinder machine.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
DG you sound about like me for what I do the pioneer has plenty of power for me but after reading about the lack of power people are saying I went looking for some steep hills to test it to ease my mind or as you said get pissed off and had no problems.Real jealous of your riding area looks like you can ride for days and never see nobody.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
nagromr1 said:
.Real jealous of your riding area looks like you can ride for days and never see nobody.
Yes, you can. And that's a big reason i wanted to come here. AZ is pretty hard to beat if you like off-roading.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!