P1000m5 16 Pioneer 1000 High idle

Spriksj

Spriksj

Apr 6, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for some help, I have been a member for awhile and find the site very informative. Haven't had any issues that I needed help with until now.
I have been trying to figure out an issue with a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. Millage is about 5600. It threw a code 29 and had a high idle over 2000, warm or cold. Replaced the IACV and the connector. Tested the IACV before installing and aligned it with the tab. I also tested the old IACV and it moved correctly. During the first test ride the high idle returned with the 29 code.
I took the IACV out, tested it (it spun up and then partially back down), cleaned it off and the chamber it goes into with carb cleaner and air. Reassembled and high idle continued. This is where I think I did something wrong. I checked the grounds and cleaned them up. Checked my connections for the replaced connector and they were good. I did a continuity test between the connector and the gray connector on the ECU, all four wires had continuity. I then tried to start it but forgot to plug the gray connector into the ECU. Plugged in the grey connector and started it. It now has an unsteady idle between 2000 and 3000. I took out the IACV and tested it. The IACV sounds like it is spinning but the cylinder does not move. Tried the old IACV and it also sounds like it is spinning but does not move.
Any ideas on what to check or what I may have messed up? I tried checking the other posts and could not find a solution.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In order for the cylinder to move, you must hold it while the turning the key on. That's what the tab does inside the throttle body.

When the idle surges back and forth or jumps back and forth like that it indicates the valve isn't installed correctly.

Sometimes if the unit has been running poorly, due to whatever (bad gas, fouled plugs, etc) the PCM can try to compensate so much with the IACV to maintain a correct idle speed that it "burns" that into memory and after correcting the running issue, the unit won't idle down.

I've successfully repaired this "burned" in memory, by reseting the PCM. But I only know this to be possible with dealer level diagnostics. If not the PCM would need replaced to fix it.

Spriksj

Spriksj

Apr 6, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the reply, I should have mentioned I did hold some pressure on the cylinder. It moved before I checked the continuity could I have messed up one of the pins? or is it possible that trying to start it without the gray clip plugged in messed up the PCM?
I have not been able to locate a wire diagram that tells me what each of the four do, hoping that may help to rule out any solution before ordering a PCM

Spriksj

Spriksj

Apr 6, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have spun them up and down manually. Any position I put them in they stay at. I even cut off the new plug and connected the original one to see if it was the iacv plug.

Spriksj

Spriksj

Apr 6, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went out this morning, completed another continuity test and all four wires tested ok. Plugged everything back in and getting code 29 and then the check engine light stays on solid. took out the iacv and it is not spinning. I am worried somehow I might have messed up a pin in the plug to the PCM/ECU or maybe the PCM/ECU is bad.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!