P700 2014 P700 Ticking loud help!

M

MJones00001

Sep 27, 2021
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

Hopefully this link works. I have a serious problem with a friends Pioneer 700. It has been babied since new and owner is 70 so I dont think he has ever done anything to it but change the oil and drive to the garden. It is ticking very loud and I am thinking it is the timing chain slapping. I have took the bolt off of the Tensioner and the tone does change a little when i slightly tun the internal tensioner screw. The video is the actual engine I am working on.
Would like to know your opinion or advice.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Hopefully this link works. I have a serious problem with a friends Pioneer 700. It has been babied since new and owner is 70 so I dont think he has ever done anything to it but change the oil and drive to the garden. It is ticking very loud and I am thinking it is the timing chain slapping. I have took the bolt off of the Tensioner and the tone does change a little when i slightly tun the internal tensioner screw. The video is the actual engine I am working on.
Would like to know your opinion or advice.
I dunno. That sounds a little heavy, but video may be making it worse than it is to ears.

The last time I did a tensioner by hand like that, you could feel the "kick back" of the chain as it made it's rounds. Can you feel anything that matches the noise?

Can't imagine a tensioner is too expensive, so maybe take a flyer on one?

Reactions: Smitty335
M

MJones00001

Sep 27, 2021
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well I replaced the timing chain tensioner tonight and it did not help. I am thinking it's the cam. I don't have any shavings in the oil and it doesn't smoke or blow smoke out of the oil stick. It doesn't have the power that it should and the owner said that it has slowly lost power over the past year and the noise has gotten louder. I adjusted the valves and they was like .30 off seriously and there isn't much adjustment left. Would a worn cam shaft sound like a tapping noise and cause valves to be off adj too?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I replaced the timing chain tensioner tonight and it did not help. I am thinking it's the cam. I don't have any shavings in the oil and it doesn't smoke or blow smoke out of the oil stick. It doesn't have the power that it should and the owner said that it has slowly lost power over the past year and the noise has gotten louder. I adjusted the valves and they was like .30 off seriously and there isn't much adjustment left. Would a worn cam shaft sound like a tapping noise and cause valves to be off adj too?
Cam is an all-too-common issue on the 700, so it's certainly a possibility. Short trip machines seem to have it more commonly.
As the cam and lifter wear down the valve clearance increases, so yes.

Last edited:
M

MJones00001

Sep 27, 2021
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Cam is an all-too-common issue on the 700, so it's certainly a possibility. Short trip machines seem to have it more commonly.
As the lobes wear down the valve clearance increases, so yes.
That will be next step . I will update with my results. Thanks for the help.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Correction: since the valves are adjusted on the base of the cam, it probably wouldn't wear too much there, but the lifter getting chewed up from the unhappy parts would cause more clearance and noise.

M

MJones00001

Sep 27, 2021
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
All- I have finished fixing the Pioneer. New cam, lifters,pushrods and a tensioner. She runs like new one now. No ticking! Wish I had a video but I have sent it back to the owner now. Picture below was during the cam install.
KIMG1273

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
All- I have finished fixing the Pioneer. New cam, lifters,pushrods and a tensioner. She runs like new one now. No ticking! Wish I had a video but I have sent it back to the owner now. Picture below was during the cam install. View attachment 300143

Thanks for the update. Glad you got his machine back up and running good

L

loggerswife97

Mar 15, 2021
edson alberta
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All- I have finished fixing the Pioneer. New cam, lifters,pushrods and a tensioner. She runs like new one now. No ticking! Wish I had a video but I have sent it back to the owner now. Picture below was during the cam install. View attachment 300143
would you be able to tell a fellow owner where the timing chain marks should allign

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!