FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Long time from last post. :(

I was hooking up the boat trailer today, and noticed some "dampness" on driver rear frame. Yep, oil/grease. Inspection of boot shows some damage

I have watched a video on the front boot, and this would appear to be easier than dealing with front brakes and steering knuckles. Ordered the All Balls kit for rear inner boot. I also went thru the service manual, and didn't see anything that scared me.

Still, like to hear from those that have done it. Are there any surprises i should look out for? Hints/Tips?

PS: All the other boots look good. :)

Thx for your help.

John

IMG 4581 IMG 4582

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Long time from last post. :(

I was hooking up the boat trailer today, and noticed some "dampness" on driver rear frame. Yep, oil/grease. Inspection of boot shows some damage

I have watched a video on the front boot, and this would appear to be easier than dealing with front brakes and steering knuckles. Ordered the All Balls kit for rear inner boot. I also went thru the service manual, and didn't see anything that scared me.

Still, like to hear from those that have done it. Are there any surprises i should look out for? Hints/Tips?

PS: All the other boots look good. :)

Thx for your help.

John

View attachment 287702 View attachment 287703
Shoulda came here first . Clean it real good and coat in Shoe Goo . It should be good for a few years .

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Shoulda came here first . Clean it real good and coat in Shoe Goo . It should be good for a few years .
The $15 for the boot kit is nothing, compared to time to do the work.

What cleaners are recommended to remove dirt/oil without degrading the boot?

Reactions: Backwoods
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I apologize if this is already documented elsewhere, and most likely better than what I will provide, but prefer to document fixes with repair threads.

I lifted the rear and rotated the wheels to get easier access to the damaged area and such that it would not be seeping oil/grease.

I used a degreaser on a new rag to clean the damaged area. Both spots are at the top of an accordion peak. See picture.

I also posted the mfg instructions below, which recommends thin layers with minimum 3 hours between, and fully cured in 72 hours. I plan to do 3-4 layers, with a minimum of 4 hours between each. First layer has been applied.

PS: This is the clear formula, but it also comes in black, but my local hardware store didn't have it Not sure if there is any chemical difference, outside of the black would blend for a better look.

IMG 4608 2 IMG 4607

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I apologize if this is already documented elsewhere, and most likely better than what I will provide, but prefer to document fixes with repair threads.

I lifted the rear and rotated the wheels to get easier access to the damaged area and such that it would not be seeping oil/grease.

I used a degreaser on a new rag to clean the damaged area. Both spots are at the top of an accordion peak. See picture.

I also posted the mfg instructions below, which recommends thin layers with minimum 3 hours between, and fully cured in 72 hours. I plan to do 3-4 layers, with a minimum of 4 hours between each. First layer has been applied.

PS: This is the clear formula, but it also comes in black, but my local hardware store didn't have it Not sure if there is any chemical difference, outside of the black would blend for a better look.

View attachment 288279 View attachment 288281
Hope it works for you too . I have read about several guys using this method and one guy said his had been holding for over 2 years BUT that could be 50 miles or 10000 miles , who knows .

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, the 1st attempt was not successful. :(

I did three layers, but found it like to stick better to the toothpick than the boot. Fingers used to smooth out. While the 1st two coatings had many hours between, we did the ride after about 8 hours of last coat.

We took our "normal" one hour, before sunset ride, and checked it this AM. It is peeling off and grease is oozing out. It looks like all layers peeled off. I think I had too much on there and the glue could not flex to match the boot. I'm still waiting on the new boot, and will make one more attempt. I am going to "rough up" the spots with some sandpaper, like an innertube repair, and try a less is more approach to the glue.

IMG 4624

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 288279 View attachment 288281
I used it on a boot on my 2015 P5 several years ago, approximately 2K miles. I used the aerosol spray for electric parts contact cleaner and it worked exceedingly well. It’s been holding fine. I was lucky as mine was in the valley of the accordion so it had a mold to form and dry in….

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
It could be a peak vs valley issue.

The old glue peeled off easily. The oil/grease got under the glue.

I cleaned it again, ruffed up the areas some, and cleaned again, with contact cleaner. thx for tip.

Tried small dabs of the glue. Given plans, it will be more than a 72 hour cure. At least the new boot will be here by the test ride.

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It could be a peak vs valley issue.

The old glue peeled off easily. The oil/grease got under the glue.

I cleaned it again, ruffed up the areas some, and cleaned again, with contact cleaner. thx for tip.

Tried small dabs of the glue. Given plans, it will be more than a 72 hour cure. At least the new boot will be here by the test ride.
Nice! Good luck FG….👍

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I had a hole about an inch long mine, I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, put one layer of Shoe Goo in the fall of 2018 the night before leaving for a hunting trip to Colorado. I already had it loaded on the trailer to leave the next morning when I found the hole and I was just hoping it would hold until I got back home. Since then it's been to Colorado 4 times, been in temperatures from -10* to 105* , been in Arkansas mud and dust and is used everyday here on my farm and it's still holding.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, Shoe Goo didn't work for me. :( Don't know if it is just the top edge and the flexing or what.

Started the boot replacement today. The cotter pin gave me a little "fun" and required 1" spacers to be removed. The nut however is giving me a little more "fun' and have to order the 30mm socket.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Got home yesterday and socket was waiting for me. Started back at it today. The socket and 2' breaker bar did their thing. Turns out that there is some loctite on the threads, as I found out on the installation instructions.

I followed the service manual and everything progressed without allot of frustration. I am not ecstatic about the "All Balls" boot bands, but we will see. I cut the old off, so there was no re-using.

IMG 5025 IMG 5026 IMG 5027 IMG 5028 IMG 5030

Reactions: PJ1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!