P500 2017 Honda pioneer engine failure

K

K9DR

Nov 3, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 pioneer 500 had to have and engine rebuild due to bad cylinder and piston ring failure. The Honda mechanic as well as an independent mechanic both said this was due to dirty air filter. Has anyone else experienced this? Honda mechanic says common with pioneer because where air intake is located And recommended raising it with a snorkel. All this happened with only 150 hrs and 500 miles! Just doesn’t seem right! All maintenance done on time and bike never abused.

K

K9DR

Nov 3, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I bought it new. Honda did first service and I did second service as recommended. Confident the filter was on correctly. Neither mechanic noted otherwise!

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Always been wary of my filter reinstall after service. I OCD-ADD triple check it. On P5's, snorkels are more of a beneficial 'dust' preventer. Nice to have for those 'LLoyd Bridges' moments but the dust rollback to stock location a bigger problem....

Reactions: PJ1
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Dirt ingestion will kill an engine fast and is obvious when inspected.

Unfortunately Honda will not consider that their fault, which is what warranty means.

Sometimes if the customer is nice and the unit has very few hours on it, they will do something called "Goodwill", whereas maybe Honda will give you parts and you pay the labor, or something like that. Try asking for some goodwill help.

K

K9DR

Nov 3, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input! It's back in service but, painful in the pocket book. The snorkel for dust is a definite upgrade. Any thoughts on covering intake with panty hose? Sounds like filter installation was issue. In future will triple check!!! Honda had no goodwill!

Reactions: PJ1 and Morpheus
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input! It's back in service but, painful in the pocket book. The snorkel for dust is a definite upgrade. Any thoughts on covering intake with panty hose? Sounds like filter installation was issue. In future will triple check!!! Honda had no goodwill!

I use pantyhose on the tips and also a precharger on a K&N. They catch a lot before it gets to the filter.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
:oops: Looks like a triple check of my filter is overdue.. This makes me nervous. I ride a lot of dusty gravel roads.

Reactions: PJ1 and Morpheus
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I read your post a couple days ago and have thought about it a bit. If dirt is the problem you should find dirt on the engine side of the intake after the air filter, was the intake tube pretty dirty. From my dirtbike days the things that I have seen that killed engines was the throttle body (carb type thing) not properly in the rubber boot and tightened down, air cleaner not installed right, or tear in the air filter. In any case if it is dirt you should have signs of dirt in the throttle body, is there any? Other things that can kill compression quickly is a bad oil pump or oil filter installed backwards.

K

K9DR

Nov 3, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Mechanic said yes! I'm a veterinarian , so really can not answer those questions. Can change oil and filters. He indicated air filter was dirty and not oiled. He did say there was sludge?? Thanks for input. It is repaired and running now. Honda mechanic did work after hours.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
One thing to note on this: you should be checking the air filter before every ride, not just at the oil change interval. The trails and roads by my cabin are extremely dusty in the summer. If I take any of my machines up there to ride, I have to clean the air filter after 1 day of riding.

However, a dirty air filter will not cause engine failure like you had. A dirty filter will have the engine down on power and possibly lean-popping under acceleration. Sounds to me like you either had the filter not installed correctly, or there is a crack some where else between your filter and the throttle body. The snorkel idea would not have prevented this, just helped reduce the amount of dirt getting to the filter.

I would recommend getting a replacement air filter, like a Uni, Twin-Air or K&N. I've never had good luck with the factory stock air filters after about 2 ~ 3 services.

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Make sure you oil the filter good with the proper air filter oil. I apply a squiggle of oil all around the air filter then place the air filter in a big zip lock bag and squeeze and release the air filter repeatedly until the oil is thoroughly throughout the foam. Next inspect the filter for rips and tears, then place a bit a grease on the rubber that mounts to the air filter box lip.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!