2020 Honda Pioneer 700-4 1900miles oil leak at rear of engine

P

PCraneo

Jun 4, 2023
Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought this Honda pioneer June 3rd and it has a story to go with it. The person I bought it from used only in his farm running up and down irrigation roads. He bought it from a person that did not disclose issues with it when selling. The first owner had dusted the engine and didn’t tell the farmer. The farmer used it fine for about 50miles before he noticed it knocking and not working right. He took it into a repair location and they had it for 6months and did 6,000 worth of parts and labor on it. I have the invoice for that. When I bought it I went through a pretty good pre purchase checklist like oil, filters, brakes, steering, 4wd, battery, frame, skid plate, coolant, etc. the only red flag to me was that the dip stick was showing overfilled by about half a quart. I drove it for about 10min, we decided we wanted it so we loaded it on a trailer and drove 300 miles home. Before loading it there was no oil drips and no evidence of it starting. Half way through the drive home I got gas and checked it over again and didn’t see any oil on the trailer decking. When we got home we unloaded it and drove it for another 10min and smelled burning oil. I thought it was just oil burning off the exhaust from the dip stick and so it was no worry to me. This morning I got up to find a oil spill on my garage floor. Upon further inspection I found two bolts (the picture with red circles around them) were all the way backed out of their holes and basically laying on the skid plate. I tightened them up and drained 1/2 a quart of oil until dip stick read properly and then drove for about 10 more min to find even more oil had leaked from the same end of the engine. I can’t pin point the leak. Can it be the rear engine seal or something? Please help. I paid well under market value and it was a great deal. I am decent when working with my hands and my dad was an airplane mechanic for 15 years. I think we could fix anything we need too. But we just can’t find this leak. Thanks guys.
IMG 5259
IMG 5262
IMG 5260

H

HondaTech

Clean off the rear of the engine, use brake cleaner or something similar that drys quickly.

Jack up the units rear wheels, put it in gear and have someone apply the throttle. Watch the output shaft and see if the oil comes from there. I'm guessing it's maybe from that or if the bolts were loose the gasket on the cover is leaking instead

P

PCraneo

Jun 4, 2023
Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok update. I have cleaned the rear thoroughly and I did not see any oil after applying throttle for a couple of minutes. I can’t get a good view of the bottom of the engine near the drain plug. Attached is a picture looking up from drain plug access panel. If it is the rear gasket how do I look up that gasket? Do they sell just the gasket?
IMG 5265

Reactions: TripleB
P

PCraneo

Jun 4, 2023
Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im also curious what this brace nut/ wire harness is and why it has so much oil on it

P

PCraneo

Jun 4, 2023
Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I also have oil on the very most rear portions of the drive shafts and frame.
IMG 5266

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!