P500 2021 520 exhaust rattle

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone else having issues with this portion of the exhaust rattling? Seems its welded at both ends. If I jamb a stick in between the bung and the shield it stops. Aside from pumping a bunch of fire proof silicone in there to absorb the vibrations, anyone else done anything to quiet this down?

3KODjYx.jpeg

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Take the Shield OFF find the shiney spot & Fix the problem.
Spray foam would only be temporary patch to clean up later. <> if anything in that area needs service ???

Keep the forum posted of the cure ( fix )
Thats how we all learn.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Take the Shield OFF find the shiney spot & Fix the problem.
Spray foam would only be temporary patch to clean up later. <> if anything in that area needs service ???

Keep the forum posted of the cure ( fix )
Thats how we all learn.
Thanks for the reply.

The part that is rattling is not removable it is the outside shield on the pipe leading up to the muffler. Welded on, on both ends.

My comment regarding siliconewas to use a high heat, either RTV or Copper rtv. Not spray foam. The cured silicone around the bung would isolate the outside shield from the vibrations traveling down from the welded ends. Those are the only points of contact. In fact the shield runs right into the muffler itself

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
siliconewas to use high heat
It will not hold on exhaust pipe. It will work on less temp CLEAN metal. There is special paste that works oooo-k on exhaust. Your best to weld something or clamps something solid on exhaust even on heat shields. Everything else is just temporary.
Can u circle the area on your pic where exactly the contact issue is?

Reactions: HiFive and trigger
J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
It will not hold on exhaust pipe. It will work on less temp CLEAN metal. There is special paste that works oooo-k on exhaust. Your best to weld something or clamps something solid on exhaust even on heat shields. Everything else is just temporary.
Can u circle the area on your pic where exactly the contact issue is?

Im trying to get a pic to upload. There is no contact issue. Its a resonance issue

The pipe is double layered, welded shut at both ends. It is vibrating on the other pipe where the hole is drilled for the bung.

My intension is not to glue to the pipe it is to fill the void from between the two pipes and creat a rubber isolator in between them. I have exteme silicone used for glueing exhaust flues specifically. If it bonds dirty fireplaces it will bond to a stai less exaust. Whether or not it bonds 100% is not relevant(it couldnt go anywhere if it tried), but more importantly, has anyone with a 520 experience this issue?

NEXtJyu

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have exteme silicone used for glueing exhaust flues
I use it on Flues in my trade. Works well there. Tried it on a bung in my truck and negative on that Fyi.

Sounds like you know what and how your doing/fixing your issue, dont need our help. So when your done post a pic. better yet a before and after video (with sound) would be great 👍
Dont forget to post back when done. Many dont and leave us hanging.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I use it on Flues in my trade. Works well there. Tried it on a bung in my truck and negative on that Fyi.

Sounds like you know what and how your doing/fixing your issue, dont need our help. So when your done post a pic. better yet and before and after video would be great 👍
Dont forget to post back when done. Many dont and leave us hanging.
I understand what you are saying and I agree in most circumstances. However, Im not using it around the bung. Im going to fill the void between the inner and outer layer of the double walled pipe, using the bung hole as access only.

Its not that i dont appreciate your help, or what you are saying, because I certainly do and you are correct about silicone and exhaust bungs. But we are fixating on a detail that is irrelevant. If the inner void of a double walled pipe is full of a ring of cured silucone, the silicone "donut" cant just fall off, its stuck indefinatly between two layers of steel. It just need to sit there and absorb the vibrations isolating the outside pipe from the resonance of the inside pipe

So with the proposed fix aside, has anyine else had this issue and what did they do to stop it? Keeping in mind, this is not the same exhaust latout as a 500.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
They all have their share of squeaks and rattles, especially after adding accessories and a bunch of mods. Used to chase them down and try to eliminate or minimize them, only to have them come back again later. Unless it's a terrible rattle I wouldn't sweat it. Invest in some tunes and ride.
Add a Quick Shield if you haven't yet and you won't notice that noise or the other noises that are coming your way near as much.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They all have their share of squeaks and rattles, especially after adding accessories and a bunch of mods. Used to chase them down and try to eliminate or minimize them, only to have them come back again later. Unless it's a terrible rattle I wouldn't sweat it. Invest in some tunes and ride.
Add a Quick Shield if you haven't yet and you won't notice that noise or the other noises that are coming your way near as much.
☝️ ☝️ ☝️☝️THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️

@Janesy if anyone is going to know, @trigger is your guy!

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
This rattle is the noise that makes people walk over and ask wtf the noise is. 🤣🤣

It only does it at idle, the engine reved up doesny make the same reverb I guess. Ill have to try to get it on video. The probkem it that u leave the bike running while im baiting stands but latley the thing makes such a horible racket i need to deal with it.

Otherwise this bike is perfect for huntung.

advertisement
G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Didn't realize there was a thread on this topic already, I posted what iI found on my 2022 P520 in Shop Talk section and my fix for it. The dual wall pipe IS Not welded on both ends of my 520, welded only at the muffler end and the other end is where the vibration is coming from.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't realize there was a thread on this topic already, I posted what iI found on my 2022 P520 in Shop Talk section and my fix for it. The dual wall pipe IS Not welded on both ends of my 520, welded only at the muffler end and the other end is where the vibration is coming from.
Oh really, I'm gonna go look now

Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!