26" tire width on P500

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
I recently bought some STI HD3 wheels for my P5 and I'm wondering which tire width/height I should go with? I believe the rim offset is 5/2 and the rim is 12x7. I want to buy some Bighorn 2.0 and I'm hoping to fit 26-9R12 for the front and 26-11R12 for the rear. Does anyone see any issues or have any suggestions? Should I stick with closer to stock sizes? Will the 26' tires be too much for what I want to do? Most of my riding is high desert (north western NM) and high rocky mountains (love riding 4x4 mountain passes) Thanks for any helps!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Re: 26" tire width on P500

Several people are tuning 26" tires on the 500 and so far no reported problems.
I would go with 26's also. It will increase the top speed just a tad and increase the GC.

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
So the extra tire width on the 7" rim shouldn't be an issue as far as mounting/looks etc? That was my main concern.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

No, it shouldn't unless you really, really need to keep it 50 inches. The new wheels will make it a tad wider. But not much. Rough guesstitment would be 51/52 wide.

But, let's get some real world feedback.

Who is running 26 on there P500?

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
Ok there's no worry for me there. The only worry I had was that the 7" rim would squeeze the tire in too far or not mount up correctly. I don't have any experience with rims/tires since all my vehicles and atv's were either purchased with the rim/tire combo that I wanted or left stock. Thanks for the response!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh, no. With aftermarket wheels it will stick out more then in.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
I am running 27x9x14 and 27x11x14 sti black diamonds on my p500. I mentioned in other posts only the front present any problems and I have to turn the steering all the way one direction and compress the suspension completely to get it to rub. Unless you are trying to stay in the 50" width you should have 0 problems with that set up. The majority of aftermarket atv and utv wheels are 7" wide and the majority of atv tires are 10/12' width and 9/11" width front/ rear respectively. We've been doing similar set ups on atv's at the dealer ship I work at for years with no issues. I would sell the same set up for a p5 without any hesitation.

P

PaPaCraig04

Aug 22, 2014
Just purchased and waiting delivery to install 25" ITP MudLites XL tires mounted on SS212 black spoked wheels. I am running a set of MudLites on my Honda Rancher TRX420FE with great results. Wanted the added ground clearance and more aggressive tread for some of our muck holes in our Michigan North Wood trails. Found a fantastic Website; AllTerrainOnline.com. Order was placed yesterday afternoon and already are in transit and could be here as early as today or Monday. Tires mounted on the wheels with the lugs/ total $690.60 Thoughts?

Reactions: Chris Chambers
C

Countrybbu

Aug 13, 2014
Logan County KY
I'm running 27 itp 589 on itp c series Alu wheels and with my steering turned all the way I have about 1/2 inch of space between the tire and the frame. I thought it would rub on some of our trails but so far it has not.

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
I tried to fit my new HD3 rims this weekend and found out that I ordered the wrong lugs. Can I get a confirmation on the thread sizing for the P500 please? I need to get some new, longer black lugs to fit since the stock ones don't work with my rims. Thanks!

D

dewroc

Sep 20, 2014
www.facebook.com

So someone commented on tire upgrades being ok if you want to stay under 50". For me the whole point of the 500 is fitting it easily in a pickup and thru narrow gates.

So has anyone figured out a aftermarket rim/tire combo that wouldn't widen the vehicle.

I am very new but in theory shouldn't a 26x10x12 tire fit on a factory 24x10x12 without sticking out more, just be taller? Isn't the wider issue primarily due to offset differences on aftermarket rims?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

dewroc said:
Isn't the wider issue primarily due to offset differences on aftermarket rims?
For the most part, yes. You may find just a tad difference in width. Maybe 50.5 at most. Every tire manufacture is different so it's hard to say. Stick to the factory rims you will be fine.

The problem is... They don't really make aftermarket rims with the same offset as factory.

D

dewroc

Sep 20, 2014
www.facebook.com

That helps a lot. Thanks.

I'd love to get nice looking rims. But I'd much rather fit it in the truck and on the trails. Maybe someone will develop matching offset rims.

I'd much rather get taller tires on factory rims for some more ground clearance and aggressive tread. Than exceed width to have impressive wheels. Ha. My rims are usually coated in Mud anyway. Ha.

With that said if anyone is looking to sell your stock rims after buying new wheels. I might be interested so I could change tires easily.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hello
I also ride in the 4 corners area...I went with ITP rims & Maxxis Ceros. .front 26×9×12...rear 26×11×12
Gave me a 2"lift & seem to be doing fine....I did put 10lbs of air in...but seemed to ride rough...tire says max presure. ..is 18lbs..so I put more air in & it rides much better...
got tire package..from Rocky Mountain ATV

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Auto zone.. $40
12mm×1.5mm

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I'm looking to do 26" tires too. The 50" width is a big deal for me on local trails. Ideas or suggestions?

M

McKay59AB

Aug 20, 2014
N.Central Washington
I just purchased a set of Kanati Mongrels. 26x10-12. Mounted them on stock rims. They measure 50 3/8 front, 49 3/8 rear. These tires are very heavy and are 8 ply rated, and the only DOT approved tire......per their website. The recommended rim size is 6-8 inches and the tire guys who mounted them told me the 6 inch rim was a tight one to mount. My second choice was the same tire in a 27x9, and 27x11. I like the tread pattern. Good for dirt roads, good or bad.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!