P1000 700 or 1000

B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum... however, I have been lurking for some time now. Haha.. I've been in the market for awhile now and am truly hung up as this will be my first utv. I have been doing as much research as possible as to what machine will be most suitable for me. I am posting this in the 1000 forum do to the reason that it seems most of you have previously owned a 700, and would be able to give me the best possible insight as to which machine will suit me.
Here's the scoop:
I will be using the machine primarily for hunting. Some fishing but mostly hunting. I am looking at either the 700-4 or the 1000-5 I don't have any need for speed, but need a machine powerful enough to get me and my clients up and down the mountain proficiently. (Hopefully hauling a 200" muley too!!) My concern with the 700 is that it does not have the option for a Low gear. Actually no gear option at all. Going up does not concern me. Going down does.. I need a more trail technical suited machine. In your experience, does this machine have the power to make it up relatively steep hills (>45)? I've test driven both, but both have been on the dealer lot. Does not do justice to either machine. Any input would be incredibly helpful.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I use my 700-4 for hunting and taking people hunting and workng on the land.. I haul 1000# in bed just fine. Only differance is i'm in SC pretty flat ground. I think the 700 would make you 85% happy. There for i say get the 1000-5 and be done with it. No regrets to come later.

pgiannetto65

pgiannetto65

Dec 19, 2015
I had the same dilemma. I was worried about the 700 not having low range. I would use it for farming and hunting. Speed did not matter. I'll tell you what sold me on the 1000. It is the six speed high/low range transmission with paddle (manual) shifters! That is what I needed and it is exactly what you need.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did have the pioneer 700-4 it will do almost any thing you what to do but you have to push it harder to do the same job as the pioneer 1000-5. The 700 top speed is around 45 and the 1000 will top out around 65. If you have the money I would get the 1000.

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Thank you for your responses. Finances are a little bit of a concern, so "bang for buck" is somewhat of a factor. But I do not want to get one for the sake of getting in one. This is a big purchase and want it to be the right one... However, if the 1000 is the right fit, than that is the one. I just need field experience input. Always trust the people who've had boots in the fire, not the kid with a fancy degree. I appreciate you all responding.

Reactions: scott and joeymt33
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you van afford the 1000,then its a no brainer

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Or, you could save a ton of $$ by getting a slightly used 700. I upgraded to the 1000 for the sport aspect, but for the work aspect the 700 does a great job.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1000 for sure! It will also hold its value longer.

D

dweezil

Feb 7, 2016
meadview
i own a 700-4, a 1000m3p (and two rincons)
the 700-4 is a very basic entry point vehicle for SXS's
the 700-4 drive line works well in the rincon.
unfortunately honda removed some of the controls when they put the rincon drive line in the pio 700.
the 700 motor is not well suited to the where i ride.
not enuff power, no way to manually control the transmission, no way to unlock the rear diff.
on hills you have to control the transmission by limiting the vehicle speed.
riding on pavement eats the tires.
i love my pio-1000.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's my take. 700 is as bullet proof as it gets. Now if you're at high elevation you have to go 1000, say above 8000. Now if you have 2 people with you and are planning on putting a load in the back, the 1000 will fit 3 in the front. I own a 700-4. And mostly trail ride and my only real gripe is I'm wound out at 45. Also I've spent enough making the 700 the way I want I could of easily bought a 1000-5 and then some. Also 700 doesn't have power steering. And that's almost mandatory in the rocks. But you can add it for about $500. But have no fear both will do the job.

advertisement
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Alright, my dudes. So here's the scoop.. Went back to the dealership today and pretty much laid it down to the point of, "I'm not buying s*#t unless we take both machines out to the endless blm land with good steep hills directly behind your building." Good new is they immediately, to my surprise, agreed to my wishes. Here's what I found, and I won't get into specific details, but the 1000-5 was incomparably better. Not even on the same playing field. 2 different machines. Outcome? Ordered my new, Green 1000-5 non-deluxe. Thanks for your support and your input everyone!!

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
Alright, my dudes. So here's the scoop.. Went back to the dealership today and pretty much laid it down to the point of, "I'm not buying s*#t unless we take both machines out to the endless blm land with good steep hills directly behind your building." Good new is they immediately, to my surprise, agreed to my wishes. Here's what I found, and I won't get into specific details, but the 1000-5 was incomparably better. Not even on the same playing field. 2 different machines. Outcome? Ordered my new, Green 1000-5 non-deluxe. Thanks for your support and your input everyone!!
Nice, you'll love the 1000. Its the best toy I've ever owned!!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will love it especially after you get over all the different weird sounds it makes for the first 100mi or so

Reactions: CashMoney
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
I can't explain how excited I am. I've been creepily obsessing about this thing! I've already spent all my overtime on how I'm going to make this thing mine! Haha... I honestly feel like a child.

UTRider

UTRider

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2016
Pleasant Grove, UT
So, I am in the same boat as you. This is our first UTV/SxS, but we have rented Rzrs in the past. I've been obsessing over it since before christmas, and lurking in the shadows of these forums. Anyway, I went to one of our dealers in the area and drove both of them. These are the things I can tell anyone from my limited experience.

1. Getting in and out of the 700-4 was a little tight for me. I am 6'2" with a beer gut, and the steering wheel kept saying "Hi!" in that tone my wife uses when I have just one more beer. It was fine driving it around in the field I tested it, but has been something in the back of my mind. I just felt like I had to "suck it in" to get in and out of the machine.
  2. Driving the 1000-5 was just fun. When we went out in the 700-4, I felt that we could go out on the trails and enjoy it. With the 1000-5 I couldn't get the smile off of my face, and the machine just took whatever we threw at it. It was more than the added power -- it was the whole package just felt more polished. I felt it was worth it to save $$$ for a couple of months.

I will be getting the 1000-5, no question. It's just a matter of when (going to order it this month). That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. Hope you enjoy your new purchase! Hopefully I'll be celebrating with you soon.

B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
I completely agree. I'm 5'10" and in very good shape, and still didn't like how smashed in I felt. The comfort level needs to be considered, as I plan on spending ample amount of time behind the wheel. As we all want to... I felt like a T-Rex driving it. Still a very nice, sound machine, just not the one I truly need to depend on. Especially due to the fact that I will have hunting clients in it too.

62straight

62straight

Dec 24, 2015
Well add another name to the list of those going 1000-5 that were sold on a 700-4 until reading this post! Thanks. I think. I hope the superterra 4500 that I couldn't pass up on Amazon will fit on 1000

AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
Here's my story.
Last summer, my closest neighbor bought a Polaris Side by Side with a bench seat that holds 3 people. That machine has proven to be very handy for him, and he likes it. I just haven't been very impressed with the CVT belt drive system...

In December, a second neighbor of mine had gone to a trade show and saw some side by sides "built in america", I don't remember what brand they were, but he was considering buying one, and told me I should go look at them, as he was impressed.
Well, I'm kind of a Honda guy, so I googled "honda side by side", and saw the new Pioneer 1000-5, and after reading about all the features (especially the dual clutch 6 speed transmission), I knew it was the machine for me.

I then told the second neighbor about the new honda, so he went to a honda dealership and checked them out, and thought they looked better made than the others, so he shopped around for the best deal, and ended up with a 700-4. He got a great deal on a 2015 model, and didn't want to spend any more $$$$ than the 700, so didn't consider the 1000, and is happy with his purchase, except for the 700's 3 speed jerky downshifts...(the salesman told him if he can't afford it, not to take a testdrive in the 1000)

A couple weeks ago, I got around to buying my 1000-5, and gave him and his wife a ride in it. His wife liked ours a lot better than their 700, and he was amazed at the cushy ride and the smooth shifting of the 1000, but kept telling himself over and over his 700 was "good enough for me"...(they only have 5 acres)...trying to convince himself he made the right choice.

With about 50 perfect, trouble-free miles on my new Honda Pioneer, I'm loving it, and know I made the right choice. My wife Gayle has driven it almost as much as I have, and even tho at first she wasn't sure spending this much $$$$$.$$ on a "toy" was smart, now she raves of how nice it is...

Randy

Last edited:
B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Both great machines right? That's the beauty of honda. They have something that fits the needs for anyone. For me, it's the 1000 for a number of reasons. However,if the 1000 did not exist, I would have a 700 in my garage right now without a doubt. This has been a fun thread.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!