700 transmission

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
How much should it cost for a dealer to rebuild a torque converter on a 2017 pioneer 700?
Just trying to get a rough ideal.
I have had it in shop for service and even changed oil my self 2 times before I took it to dealer and had all fluids changed and still wants to act like tranny is slipping
just revs and doesnt want to move ?

Reactions: Isaiah
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much should it cost for a dealer to rebuild a torque converter on a 2017 pioneer 700?
Just trying to get a rough ideal.
I have had it in shop for service and even changed oil my self 2 times before I took it to dealer and had all fluids changed and still wants to act like tranny is slipping
just revs and doesnt want to move ?
@HondaTech is the one who would probably know but if memory serves me right, there aren’t many problems with the 700 transmission.

Reactions: Isaiah
H

HondaTech

Torque converters aren't rebuildable, they are replaced as a whole unit. The only reason i've ever replaced one is because the ring seal inside has been damaged by debris or someone removing it and damaging it during install.

Has the unit had the oil contaminated with water at anytime?

I'd start by checking oil pressure from the pump and then at each clutch. It's hard to slip a clutch in a 700, due to the converter taking the "slip" out when pulling from a start or under load.

Reactions: Mudwing
S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have never seen water in the oil
at first I thought that was it but changed oil 3 times no water
3rd time was dealer
I start it and I can even wait till 2 bars on temp and still slips and its intermittent
but more than not

H

HondaTech

I have never seen water in the oil
at first I thought that was it but changed oil 3 times no water
3rd time was dealer
I start it and I can even wait till 2 bars on temp and still slips and its intermittent
but more than not

I've had Big Reds with these symptoms that ended up being a partially or fully clogged pickup screen.

When in neutral, does the unit seem to rev all the way out?

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I told dealer when I got all the fluids changed and they acted like it was fine
but got it out the other day and sure enough barely got it out the door
then let it set and run then acted ok but started a small grade and started again

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was wondering about the screen is that a hard fix and what would clog it??

H

HondaTech

The last Big Red I did had the screen packed full of crap, from where I don't know. Looked like clutch fibers, maybe sludge from lack of oil changes.

To get to the screen the cases have to be split. The Big Red was really hit or miss on if it slipped or ran ok, then it got worse and wouldn't pull at all and had no oil pressure at the pump port. That's where I would go first, see if the oil pressure at the pump is in spec when warmed up.

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
so I'm kinda figured either way I need to split the cases for pretty much either repair ??

H

HondaTech

If the screen in clogged yes, but the rest of the pressure system (except for the clutches) is in the front cover.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!