8,000# Warn winch on P500

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
Okay, so this may be the dumbest question you've seen in a long time.

I have an older Warn 8,000# winch that works great and I'm not using on my truck. Since it's works great, I thought "Hey, maybe I can fab up a mount for my P500." Of course the first thought to come to my feeble mind was "I wonder if it can take the weight."

My thought is I'd replace the old 100' 5/16" steel rope with 50' 1/4" synthetic rope (7,000# rated). I figure this will drop the weight about 15#s (good estimate?).

That would put the weight of the wind around 60#s, not counting the mount.

The P500 has the stock suspension (with larger wheels/tires - 27').

Dump idea???

Reactions: Wallace and Isaiah
FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
A 4000 lb winch weighs in around 30lbs, around 25lbs with synthetic rope. Just FYI. So I guess you have to decide if an extra 30-35lbs on the nose is that much. I would prefer lighter.

Reactions: Isaiah
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the current draw would be a major problem. I think the battery drain would be excessive and the stator wouldn't be able to keep up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceTroll
L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
@FeelinRecless Yes, it's the extra weight that I was wondering about. Is that too much on a P500?

@TxDoc - Did you mean "slow" instead of "snow"? Is the issue only when it's in use?

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Okay, so this may be the dumbest question you've seen in a long time.

I have an older Warn 8,000# winch that works great and I'm not using on my truck. Since it's works great, I thought "Hey, maybe I can fab up a mount for my P500." Of course the first thought to come to my feeble mind was "I wonder if it can take the weight."

My thought is I'd replace the old 100' 5/16" steel rope with 50' 1/4" synthetic rope (7,000# rated). I figure this will drop the weight about 15#s (good estimate?).

That would put the weight of the wind around 60#s, not counting the mount.

The P500 has the stock suspension (with larger wheels/tires - 27').

Dump idea???
I don't think you would have enough battery.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!