Animation of how motorcycle transmissions work (including the P1k and Talon)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
While this is a motorcycle transmission, the P1K and Talon are very similar. This doesn't show how the dual clutch fits in to all this (which is still voodoo to me). The important take away, for those who aren't familiar with constant mesh transmissions, is how the shift dogs engage the adjacent gears. These shift dogs are what you hear grinding when you shift too fast and impatiently and more so when the oil is cold. It also shows that if the dogs aren't aligned with their adjacent slots, it's impossible to change gears (and why I try to be rolling SLOWLY when I shift into Low if possible).

Chipping the corners off the shift dogs will result in permanent and progressive damage, eventually popping out of gear and requiring $$$$ disassembly. Note that we're shifting the dogs, the gear teeth themselves are always at least partially engaged - this is why we don't have syncros in our type of transmission.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
thats a single clutch system. on the input shaft the clutch would be between the trans and motor. on a dct on the pioneer its more like a dual input shaft with every other gear on 1 shaft and every other on another shaft. each shaft has its own clutch. in simple terms. i had a picture of the setup a while back but i cant find it again.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
thats a single clutch system. on the input shaft the clutch would be between the trans and motor. on a dct on the pioneer its more like a dual input shaft with every other gear on 1 shaft and every other on another shaft. each shaft has its own clutch. in simple terms. i had a picture of the setup a while back but i cant find it again.

I'd love to see that if you happen to trip across it anytime soon.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'd love to see that if you happen to trip across it anytime soon.
i seen this one before but it isnt the honda trans A3b4f1833e4c15fad4bf966a22b1221f

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!