ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are any of of Hondasxs.com members previous participants or alumni of the BajaSAE student design competition?

Competitions for 2023 will be held in Wisconsin, Oregon and Ohio.

Reactions: Remington
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
This got me started on a life long obsession (@ToddACimer can relate).
Out of high school I worked as a body mechanic for 6 years before returning to school.
I made the body panels, when I went to paint them the advisor stopped me, he wanted it left in the bare aluminum.
I also designed the rear suspension.
Mini Baja front

In competition at El Paso
Mini Baja handling

I bent the 'fire wall' horizontal above the engine so it wouldn't be a sail - this was back in the 8hp days.
The next year the rules where more clear - fire wall from top to bottom vertically.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This got me started on a life long obsession (@ToddACimer can relate).
Out of high school I worked as a body mechanic for 6 years before returning to school.
I made the body panels, when I went to paint them the advisor stopped me, he wanted it left in the bare aluminum.
I also designed the rear suspension.
View attachment 380861

In competition at El Paso
View attachment 380862

I bent the 'fire wall' horizontal above the engine so it wouldn't be a sail - this was back in the 8hp days.
The next year the rules where more clear - fire wall from top to bottom vertically.
Very cool! I've been a supporting sponsor the last 3 years and I'm on the host committee for BajaSAE Oshkosh this year. Looking forward to a fun event.

koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very cool! I've been a supporting sponsor the last 3 years and I'm on the host committee for BajaSAE Oshkosh this year. Looking forward to a fun event.
When they come to me they have this and that to be machined. Their letter head says Illini Motor Sports. If I remember right they might have a formula one like car. Nothing close to the real thing but like an Indy lite, maybe even less. When they come they don’t come as a whole. More like Baja Drive Train or Formula chassis team. We cut some splines for them the other day. Ended up being more than what I thought but we got through it. It’s nice to see some kid come through the door with grim and dirt on them as though they just crawled out from underneath a car. Shows character. Here they are, most from Mechanical Sciences, working their ass off trying to keep their grades up and volunteering for the racing team. It’s good to see And they are well funded.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When they come to me they have this and that to be machined. Their letter head says Illini Motor Sports. If I remember right they might have a formula one like car. Nothing close to the real thing but like an Indy lite, maybe even less. When they come they don’t come as a whole. More like Baja Drive Train or Formula chassis team. We cut some splines for them the other day. Ended up being more than what I thought but we got through it. It’s nice to see some kid come through the door with grim and dirt on them as though they just crawled out from underneath a car. Shows character. Here they are, most from Mechanical Sciences, working their ass off trying to keep their grades up and volunteering for the racing team. It’s good to see And they are well funded.
Always good to see the students learning from and working with people in industry. Thanks for supporting them.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
~ working their ass off trying to keep their grades up ~
What? Grades are for sissies that aren't capable of pulling an all nighter working on the car.

Haha, @koma thanks for supporting them.
My employer is big on some kind of hands on experience for engineers hired right out of collage.
There are a lot of Formula / Baja SAE as well as worked as a mechanic or dad raced the local short track.
As long as they can convince us they know which end of the screwdriver to hold...

When I did the Mini Baja at San Diego State we visited every off road race shop that would let us in.
I learned a lot of practical application stuff mainly because I was interested but it has served me well working the last 29 years as an engineer.

koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Always good to see the students learning from and working with people in industry. Thanks for supporting them.
What? Grades are for sissies that aren't capable of pulling an all nighter working on the car.

Haha, @koma thanks for supporting them.
My employer is big on some kind of hands on experience for engineers hired right out of collage.
There are a lot of Formula / Baja SAE as well as worked as a mechanic or dad raced the local short track.
As long as they can convince us they know which end of the screwdriver to hold...

When I did the Mini Baja at San Diego State we visited every off road race shop that would let us in.
I learned a lot of practical application stuff mainly because I was interested but it has served me well working the last 29 years as an engineer.
Hats off to you. I wish I could help them more on a donation thing but they don’t allow for it. I donated some material. About all that I can do. They must have a CNC somewhere because they try and machine a portion of it and get over their head and then show up at the shop. You know how it is with someone brining a half machined piece of steel. Almost like getting a basket case. Anyway, happy to support them. I used to race and love anything on dirt.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was in it, technically we called it Sae Mini Indy. My bad on the Formula reference…it was only 20 years ago or so.

We usually ran a cbr motor outta a wrecked bike with a restrictor plate. It was a whole lotta go fast in a down sized Indy style frame. It would get real interesting real fast in 4th gear without the plate on!!

Reactions: CID
koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I was in it, technically we called it Sae Mini Indy. My bad on the Formula reference…it was only 20 years ago or so.

We usually ran a cbr motor outta a wrecked bike with a restrictor plate. It was a whole lotta go fast in a down sized Indy style frame. It would get real interesting real fast in 4th gear without the plate on!!
We have engineering open house on Friday. Maybe I can get a pic or two. I think they are also involved with some type of solar car too.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good. You are putting g up some stiff competition this year for trophies. Looking forward to seeing you I. A couple of weeks. Is you committee ready for the event?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good. You are putting g up some stiff competition this year for trophies. Looking forward to seeing you I. A couple of weeks. Is you committee ready for the event?
Working on track build this week. We have had a ton of rain. Worried a bit about the soft ground.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
A good mud pit will do them good.
Just deep enough to get there backside wet.
That will make them pucker a bit.

The 1st year I compeated the durability course had a split around a big rock.
Cars would dodge left and right and then try to merge.
Our car was one of the few that would brave going over the rock, it was one of the heaviest cars there (almost 2x the lightest car).
This was the only place we could pass.
Untill the steering rack blew up...

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet you did. I don't think there was any red or black showing through the mud by the end of the event.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!