Any one familiar with Black Widow winches?

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I am pretty much a fair weather only guy when it comes to taking the P5 on an outing, and have never needed a winch, but have always thought it might be a good idea, just for insurance.

I just noticed that Discount Ramps has Black Widow 4,500 lb winches on sale for half price ($129.99). It sounds like good deal, and I probably would not be using it a lot. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this brand. I'm sure there are better ones out there, and if they are available for a similar price let me know. And yes I did search for any comments on this brand and did not find any.

Last edited:
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ruptured a bicep tendon once pulling on my old foreman once because it had a cheap China winch on it that wouldn't get me unstuck by itself. Only warn or superwinch for me ever since on for anything critical! You get what you pay for. I would rather buy a manual come-a-long and keep around than a cheap winch.

POIDH, lol

20230623 143358

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
In 2023, A $130 winch does not sound like something I would feel comfortable relying on.
You might be right, but if I had had one it would have probably not been used in the 7 or so years that I have had the P5. Surely they don't fail that often, or do they? I noticed the club store has a 4,500 lb. Viper for $159.99. I was leaning toward the Black Widow because of the remote feature. Anyone have any comments on the Viper?

Last edited:
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You might be right, but if I had had one it would have probably not been used in the 7 or so years that I have had the P5. Surely they don't fail that often, or do they? I noticed the club store has a 4,500 lb. Viper for $159.99. I was leaning toward the Black Widow because of the remote feature. Anyone have any comments on the Viper?
Like @dweber23tr said, a come along or hand crank winch will bring more piece of mind. I could see paying $130-170 for that but an electric winch in that price range will corrode and deteriorate just sitting there. Not sure there is a cheap alternative to something as serious as a winch .

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Viper is a solid choice.

Personally, I have a SuperWinch Terra 3500SR on my ATV and a Badlands ZXR5000 on my P1K5. Both have been used, and both have given me no hassles. I did swap the steel cable from the Badlands for a 4500# synthetic rope from SuperATV, and put a 5500# Badlands forged alloy hook on it as well.

Superwinch is just shy of $400 today.
ZXR5000 ($199), synth rope ($70) and hook ($20) totaled $290 for everything.

We all know that, with HF, you either get a giant pile of crap OR a great tool at a low price. I've experienced both over the years.

As for the winch: Some folks badmouth the Badlands stuff, but it has proven to be a reliable workhorse to me. I use it around the property all the time (hauled out a fallen 18" x 35' tree just last weekend), and used it at Takeover23 and a month before that on another ride @ RRB, each time rescuing other forum members.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Like @dweber23tr said, a come along or hand crank winch will bring more piece of mind. I could see paying $130-170 for that but an electric winch in that price range will corrode and deteriorate just sitting there. Not sure there is a cheap alternative to something as serious as a winch .
I ruptured a bicep tendon once pulling on my old foreman once because it had a cheap China winch on it that wouldn't get me unstuck by itself. Only warn or superwinch for me ever since on for anything critical! You get what you pay for. I would rather buy a manual come-a-long and keep around than a cheap winch.

POIDH, lol

View attachment 393155
I appreciate the comments. I do carry a come-a-long. Have not had to use it either.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have bought Viper from the club store. Used it 3 1/2 years with no issues. I would buy again

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6k# Motoaliance Viper Elite Wide Spool, with 65' of Amsteel blue synthetic rope.
4 years, no issues.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!