P500 Anyone rode at Brimstone?

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Making a list of areas to ride in Ky, Tn, WV to ride. RRB, Windrock are on the list but has anyone took a P500 to Brimstone in Huntsville, TN? If so, any thoughts or photos to share?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I was there a couple weeks ago. Probably not going back. Trails are not marked very well. The blue trails are rutted out so bad in spots that unless you are on at least 32” tires you will be winching across the ruts. Worst part was just the bad trail markings first day was spent trying to figure out how to get around. And when I say I’m probably not going back it’s 4.5 hr drive for me and I have trails I like better with a shorter drive. If I lived in the area I would probably ride them again it’s just not worth the trip for me. Next time I plan to try out windrock and RRB.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Making a list of areas to ride in Ky, Tn, WV to ride. RRB, Windrock are on the list but has anyone took a P500 to Brimstone in Huntsville, TN? If so, any thoughts or photos to share?
For what it costs per day / per person both Windrock and Brimstone don't offer any advantages over the TN WMA areas of Sundquist, Royal Blue, New River, & Tackett Creek. The entire area is all interconnected.

The TWRA permit is only 1 per machine needed for the 4 WMA's. All have similar trails but Royal Blue/ Sundquist units have more easier terrain for a P500. Still will encounter ruts depending upon the trail.

Eagle Rock Resort and Campground is the most centralized place to stay being directly between Sundquist and Royal Blue and all other areas within 2 hours by trail. Not to mention 1 mile from fuel and 5 places to eat all SXS legal access.

BB33190C F67D 4EB7 97C9 454824B04FF2

Bottom of Red Dot is where Eagle Rock is located.

20190408 135409

P

Pgsull1

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2020
Nicholasville, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We ride Wildcat in Livingston KY a lot, it is well marked and well-maintained, just small (can ride most all in full day). I have not used the campground or their cabins as it is within 1.5 hr of me but may one of these days if my 1000-5 ever arrives!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
As Jackal points out there is higher cost involved with Windrock and Brimstone vs. RRB and the TWRA. I have rode all of them as of last year. Over the years I have been to WIndrock 3 times, Brimstone 1, RRB 1 and the TWRA area - New River Unit. Windrock is my group's second favorite place to ride next to Moab. We will probably return to RRB and the other TWRA areas in the future, but not returning to Brimstone.

I feel the price to ride & stay at Windrock is way better than Brimstone. Windrock has nice spacious campsites, a bathroom/shower building. Brimstone's campsites are not much bigger than a parking spot in a parking lot and has "glorified" outhouses with showers. A 4-night, 3-day ride at Brimstone cost about $25 more- per person than Windrock.

Windrock and Brimstone you buy a riding permit that is only good for those park's area. RRB you buy a TN fish & game license and can ride all of RRB and the TWRA areas- good for an entire year, not just 1 or 2 days.

As NitoxDiver pointed out, not well marked trails, absolutely NO trail maintenance, many trails closed at Brimstone. Best I could tell was they are catering more to the concert venue they built and center everything around that. There was a make-up concert the Saturday we were there and the chain of events was basically: 1000 people arrive in their RV's, trucks & trailers Saturday morning. Then all go trail riding for a couple hours, then all go out to this big hill over-look and get drunk, then off to the concert. Wake up from their hang-overs about noon Sunday, pack-up and go home. We were getting dirty looks from the hung-over concert goers sitting outside their campers Sunday morning at 8:30 AM when my group was firing up machines and headed to the trails.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
For what it costs per day / per person both Windrock and Brimstone don't offer any advantages over the TN WMA areas of Sundquist, Royal Blue, New River, & Tackett Creek. The entire area is all interconnected.

The TWRA permit is only 1 per machine needed for the 4 WMA's. All have similar trails but Royal Blue/ Sundquist units have more easier terrain for a P500. Still will encounter ruts depending upon the trail.

Eagle Rock Resort and Campground is the most centralized place to stay being directly between Sundquist and Royal Blue and all other areas within 2 hours by trail. Not to mention 1 mile from fuel and 5 places to eat all SXS legal access.

View attachment 279946

Bottom of Red Dot is where Eagle Rock is located.

View attachment 279947
Thank you! This area is very close to me, I knew about RRB but not the others. I will do some research into those areas. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JenElio and TimG
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
As Jackal points out there is higher cost involved with Windrock and Brimstone vs. RRB and the TWRA. I have rode all of them as of last year. Over the years I have been to WIndrock 3 times, Brimstone 1, RRB 1 and the TWRA area - New River Unit. Windrock is my group's second favorite place to ride next to Moab. We will probably return to RRB and the other TWRA areas in the future, but not returning to Brimstone.

I feel the price to ride & stay at Windrock is way better than Brimstone. Windrock has nice spacious campsites, a bathroom/shower building. Brimstone's campsites are not much bigger than a parking spot in a parking lot and has "glorified" outhouses with showers. A 4-night, 3-day ride at Brimstone cost about $25 more- per person than Windrock.

Windrock and Brimstone you buy a riding permit that is only good for those park's area. RRB you buy a TN fish & game license and can ride all of RRB and the TWRA areas- good for an entire year, not just 1 or 2 days.

As NitoxDiver pointed out, not well marked trails, absolutely NO trail maintenance, many trails closed at Brimstone. Best I could tell was they are catering more to the concert venue they built and center everything around that. There was a make-up concert the Saturday we were there and the chain of events was basically: 1000 people arrive in their RV's, trucks & trailers Saturday morning. Then all go trail riding for a couple hours, then all go out to this big hill over-look and get drunk, then off to the concert. Wake up from their hang-overs about noon Sunday, pack-up and go home. We were getting dirty looks from the hung-over concert goers sitting outside their campers Sunday morning at 8:30 AM when my group was firing up machines and headed to the trails.
Thank you. I had recently read some reviews and rumors that Brimstone had became more of a party destination due to the concerts. Sounds like that is true and not worth the hassle. Thanks again…

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I was there a couple weeks ago. Probably not going back. Trails are not marked very well. The blue trails are rutted out so bad in spots that unless you are on at least 32” tires you will be winching across the ruts. Worst part was just the bad trail markings first day was spent trying to figure out how to get around. And when I say I’m probably not going back it’s 4.5 hr drive for me and I have trails I like better with a shorter drive. If I lived in the area I would probably ride them again it’s just not worth the trip for me. Next time I plan to try out windrock and RRB.
Thanks… I definitely do not want to be winching across ruts all day! Thanks for sharing.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
We ride Wildcat in Livingston KY a lot, it is well marked and well-maintained, just small (can ride most all in full day). I have not used the campground or their cabins as it is within 1.5 hr of me but may one of these days if my 1000-5 ever arrives!
Wildcat is an easy haul. Recently drove up and took a quick look around. Looks fun, will absolutely be adding it to my list.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I see that you are from Kentucky KYgal83- do you know about Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area in Harlan? There are a few thousand miles of trails in that area. Been there as well. Not much of a campground, but trails were all very interesting.

advertisement
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I see that you are from Kentucky KYgal83- do you know about Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area in Harlan? There are a few thousand miles of trails in that area. Been there as well. Not much of a campground, but trails were all very interesting.
I know the Harlan area well. I am there about twice a year. It is about 1.5 hours from me. Never heard of Black Mountain Off Road until recently... I need to look more into it also.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I really enjoy Brimstone. I took the P500 there once and the Talon there once. It tends to be a rougher rockier area with less mud. I thought the campgrounds was nice and accommodating, shower/bathrooms left a lot to be desired. I would definitely avoid it as well as any other riding place on a weekend of a large event/concert unless you like the crowds and party atmosphere. I like windrock and most of the TWRA. The Sundquist(Ride Royal Blue) area is probably my least favorite due to the mud and ruts.

Wildat in KY is great place to ride as well as Black Mountain(harlan, KY). We are going to Hollerwood in KY this weekend, will be our first trip there.

I've also rode Rush Offroad and Dirty Turtle offroad, both in KY. Decent places, but no comparison to TN

Reactions: KyGal83 and futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
How strict are they about quad riders keeping their helmets on at all times? And no two-up riding allowed them either, I presume?

Last edited:
Reactions: KyGal83
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure why you would want to do either of those things on mountainous terrain futzin, but I guess you are ultimately responsible for you actions.

The first time I went to Windrock, it was not patrolled nor enforcement of any kind. Saw lots of no helmet quad riders that were also consuming alcohol on the trail. Bad combination on those trails. Last 2 times they were enforcing helmets. Brimstone there was no enforcement, RRB it was stated on everything in print that you "should" wear a helmet and not 2-up on non-2-up machines. But we did not see a single TWRA officer for 4 days of riding. Black Mountain had an armed officer at the top of the mountain on the main trial into the area that checked for permits, helmets, alcohol and anything else before he let you enter the trail system.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Not sure why you would want to do either of those things on mountainous terrain futzin, but I guess you are ultimately responsible for you actions.

I don't, and yes I am. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect from these places and their patrons. I have friends who would like to check out places like this (such as Wildcat Park) that would possibly skimp on safety. Mostly I don't think they realize what they're in for, having never been. 'Course, I've never been either! But recently went to a couple of trailheads on a rainy day to recon for future trips (Redbird Crest, rugged). My wife and I have helmets. :)

I appreciate the feedback.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
We are going to Hollerwood in KY this weekend, will be our first trip there.

I've also rode Rush Offroad and Dirty Turtle offroad, both in KY. Decent places, but no comparison to TN
Thanks for sharing! These are 3 I have not come across in my research, I will definitely look into them. What was your impression of Hollerwood now that you have been?

Reactions: Bigtee and futzin
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for sharing! These are 3 I have not come across in my research, I will definitely look into them. What was your impression of Hollerwood now that you have been?
My expectations were low going in but I was pleasantly surprised. First off, Hollerwood changes management as of July 1st and the current management was well liked and respected in the area. Who knows what new management will bring. There wasn't a map available since they ran out and didn't print more due to loss of contract, so that made it tougher. All trails were well marked with numbers, my lifetime maps had some trails but not near all of them. Hollerwood is about 3000 acres and good mix of trails. Boneyard offroad is kind of in the middle of it and not in operation, everyone rode the trails on it as well. Slade has been a jeeping area for years and is also wraps around the parks. We were on all at some point and riding all of it made it worth it. We stayed at Ryders Ranch campground which is new and nice and very central to all the areas.
I would definitely go back. Good riding and good sights, not TN type sights. I called it little TN. TN is my first choice but on shorter trip it is about a hour closer and easy drive to get to with trailer or camper.

Last edited:
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
My expectations were low going in but I was pleasantly surprised. First off, Hollerwood changes management as of July 1st and the current management was well liked and respected in the area. Who knows what new management will bring. There wasn't a map available since they ran out and didn't print more due to loss of contract, so that made it tougher. All trails were well marked with numbers, my lifetime maps had some trails but not near all of them. Hollerwood is about 3000 acres and good mix of trails. Boneyard offroad is kind of in the middle of it and not in operation, everyone rode the trails on it as well. Slade has been a jeeping area for years and is also wraps around the parks. We were on all at some point and riding all of it made it worth it. We stayed at Ryders Ranch campground which is new and nice and very central to all the areas.
I would definitely go back. Good riding and good sights, not TN type sights. I called it little TN. TN is my first choice but on shorter trip it is about a hour closer and easy drive to get to with trailer or camper.
It looks very interesting. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will look more into it.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!