P500 Anyone try this yet ?

H

HondaTech

Notice in the description it states that the filter doesn't contact the crankcase vent.

This will allow dirt into the enigne if not addressed. This is the same reason K&N filters are useless.

The stock filter is more than adequate for the P500.

I never use anything but a stock filter on everything I own, unless (like in the case of my CR60) the stock filter is unavailable.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Notice in the description it states that the filter doesn't contact the crankcase vent.

This will allow dirt into the enigne if not addressed. This is the same reason K&N filters are useless.

The stock filter is more than adequate for the P500.

I never use anything but a stock filter on everything I own, unless (like in the case of my CR60) the stock filter is unavailable.

That's an opinion, I run K&N's in everything I own and have for years. If you don't keep it clean any filter will fail. The K&N comes with an adapter and hose that puts the crank vent inside the center of the filter. With an added pre-charger and nylons on the snorkel tips no dirt's going to get in the crank.

H

HondaTech

That's an opinion, I run K&N's in everything I own and have for years. If you don't keep it clean any filter will fail. The K&N comes with an adapter and hose that puts the crank vent inside the center of the filter. With an added pre-charger and nylons on the snorkel tips no dirt's going to get in the crank.

Well for alot of their replacement filters there is no adapter for the vent. Ive seen several 400EXs and utility quads destroyed by K&N filters.

You'll never see one on anything I own. They don't make sense on something that already has a reusable filter. Without tuning they wont provide any performance boost and wont filter any better than a correctly maintained oem Honda foam filter.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another K&N hater here. There are several internet, multi point comparison tests and the K&N fares poorly in all of them, usually in the bottom third. The only measurement they excel is in airflow tests and that's because they're also flowing fine dirt too. As a retired 50 year dirt bike rider, oiled foam is my go-to filtering medium.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I've K&N'd most everything since the early eighties. An Airaid or Uni here and there, but mostly for cleaning simplicity of the filters in the numerous rigs I have to maintain. Spares in Jeeps and trucks in case swamps are deep or dust is brutal. Ordered one for BX Kubota after 17 years this week. Not sure what took so long. Prefilters help also. I like nylons on things I ride also....;)

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ditched the cat and fitted with an HMF exhaust. Added prefilters and a properly maintained K&N, less restricted airflow, to the point of sucking nylon into the tip of the snorkel. Dobeck AFR to adjust the tune. This is a heavy P5, first hand experience has proven it runs cooler, gets better mpg and has more mid range power.
Stock set up I'd be running the No Toil.

4 8 RearSnorkel Intakes

BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Another K&N hater here. There are several internet, multi point comparison tests and the K&N fares poorly in all of them, usually in the bottom third. The only measurement they excel is in airflow tests and that's because they're also flowing fine dirt too. As a retired 50 year dirt bike rider, oiled foam is my go-to filtering medium.
The K&N is what? $65-75?
Ive always used the stock foam filters and just clean them with dawn dish soap. Light oil, good to go....🤷‍♂️
Reminds me I need a replacement for my recon.
Just my old dude ass opinion. 😎👍

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ridden all over Idaho snorkeled but without pre-filter filters. I just clean the air intake whenever I change the oil. And you're right, Idaho is dusty!
Literally the worst dust encounter was on the Trail of the Hiawatha just below the trestles. That's in St Joe NF just above Avery Idaho.
C1AC45B1 C76C 4B11 A942 F4C44A3FE1AA
E5FE7C82 7E16 4BD9 A112 A822C47C009D
CD369973 796C 4692 9A92 70FDE9FD323A

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Checked my records on this last oil swap and cleaned the stock foam filter after 1500 kms (900 miles). Probably should cleaned it sooner however due to snorkel intake, just below cab roof was pretty clean. Dawn soap to clean in hot water, lightly squeeze most water out with paper towel, air dry overnight. Oil and reinstall. Order an extra new stock one from dealership. Have tried K&N on lotsa small normally aspirated engines and they work if maintained. Forced induction like my 7.3 Power stroke not a chance..... down that path once, Donaldson large paper element that gets tossed every second oil change. K&N in 7.3 application 9” diameter by 11” long round didn’t filter well enough to keep out finds. Now this was with bigger injectors, turbo and buncha modes. Replaced with same size Donaldson... not anything in the intake.

As a good tell tale use a clean white fine woven cloth, wipe out the intake post filter and see how much keerap you pick up. The above paper filter looks like a nice option if you are in severe dusty conditions, just have to mess with crank breather tube, could be fashioned like K&N.

I’ll use stock for now..

Reactions: BURNDOG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: BURNDOG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!