P500 ATV to SXS: What to expect?

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I dropped a wheel off in a stump hole with my 420 Honda Rancher and rolled it on top of myself. I had it loaded down with sacks of fertilizer and corn, front and back. Luckily the ground was muddy and I dug myself out from under it with no major damage to me or the machine. I was 59 years old at the time, 4 years ago, and had spent way too much time, effort and expense getting to that age to go out under a 4 wheeler. Within 2 days of that incident I bought the first Honda Pioneer I'd ever seen. I've had it now since the summer of 2014, I've not touched it except for service and a more modifications that I've added than I ever planned to do. The main pluses to me are: it's a lot safer than an ATV, it's a lot more comfortable to operate, you can carry a lot more gear, you can talk to someone riding with you with no problem and you don't have to be intimate with your buddy to ride with him like you do on an ATV.
I feel a lot better with my grandsons riding in it than on an ATV. Downside is I can't crank it without my two Catahoula dogs piling in, if I leave the door open they sleep in it.
26" Big Horn tires were a great improvement on traction and handling and a light bar on the front is great, too. Those two are must do things for me.
I've had mine up to 13,000 feet in Colorado two or three times a year since I've had it, I've also slogged through south Arkansas gumbo mud in the White River Nation Refuge ( elevation 150 feet) and a lot of stuff in between. I don't plan on ever throwing a leg over another ATV.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I dropped a wheel off in a stump hole with my 420 Honda Rancher and rolled it on top of myself. I had it loaded down with sacks of fertilizer and corn, front and back. Luckily the ground was muddy and I dug myself out from under it with no major damage to me or the machine. I was 59 years old at the time, 4 years ago, and had spent way too much time, effort and expense getting to that age to go out under a 4 wheeler. Within 2 days of that incident I bought the first Honda Pioneer I'd ever seen. I've had it now since the summer of 2014, I've not touched it except for service and a more modifications that I've added than I ever planned to do. The main pluses to me are: it's a lot safer than an ATV, it's a lot more comfortable to operate, you can carry a lot more gear, you can talk to someone riding with you with no problem and you don't have to be intimate with your buddy to ride with him like you do on an ATV.
I feel a lot better with my grandsons riding in it than on an ATV. Downside is I can't crank it without my two Catahoula dogs piling in, if I leave the door open they sleep in it.
26" Big Horn tires were a great improvement on traction and handling and a light bar on the front is great, too. Those two are must do things for me.
I've had mine up to 13,000 feet in Colorado two or three times a year since I've had it, I've also slogged through south Arkansas gumbo mud in the White River Nation Refuge ( elevation 150 feet) and a lot of stuff in between. I don't plan on ever throwing a leg over another ATV.

Wow, glad you made it through that whole incident unharmed! Also, you just mentioned another thing that would be a huge positive for me- being able to bring my English Springer Spaniel along for a cruise! That would be really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gassygordo
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
had a similar thing happen to me with one of my teenage kids on the back, luckily no injuries only a strained muscle or 2. Now riding the P500 we all feel safer and when my son made a mistake and put the P500 on its side not even a scratch. Unbuckled and we were both fine except having to get it back on 4 wheels.

Reactions: Twangin
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bought my p5 last year after having Honda quads for years.wife and I love it,mostly riding on trails in mich.put 26" on right away.not nearly as quiet or smooth shifting as my rancher was but you get used to it.a little beast and lots of fun just tooling around the woods

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I had been riding ATVs for 11 yrs. Sold the 2006 Honda Foreman 400; kept the 2013 Rubicon 500 and bought a camo 2017 P5. Really like the P5 for the long rides with more gear. Its a bullet-proof trail monster. Will go pretty much where a quad can go. The huge advantage is that momma is riding beside you rather than behind or not at all. When she’s not interested in going I can bring a buddy or the dog. I was leading a group of 7 machines on a ride last spring. One ATV rider injured himself and couldn’t operate his quad. Rather than sit out the next two days he rode with me. I put on 26” mudlites and 1” spacers. With a 500 cc engine, of course you can’t drift around every corner but I have alot of fun in that rig. They are more comfortable than a ride-astride machine. The bench seat is awesome and I can do 8 hours per day no prob for a days on end. The P5 is 1,100 or 1,200 lbs depending on how you option it out, but it fits easily in a short-box truck, no trailer necessary. Don’t dither, get a side by side!
Al

Last edited:
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
All great stuff to hear! Really sounds like it would be an easy transition. Working on getting OTD quotes so hopefully I can find someone sooner rather than later that can get the numbers where I’d like them to be. Would like to try and get a roof or windshield thrown in the deal too. I know I’d eventually want both but which (Honda roof or Honda windshield) is compatible with aftermarket brands of windshield/roofs? Or is it such that if one of them is a Honda brand your only option as far as compatibility is to get the Honda brand for both of those items? Hope that question makes sense haha

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Snip.... Would like to try and get a roof or windshield thrown in the deal too. I know I’d eventually want both but which (Honda roof or Honda windshield) is compatible with aftermarket brands of windshield/roofs? Or is it such that if one of them is a Honda brand your only option as far as compatibility is to get the Honda brand for both of those items? Hope that question makes [/QUOTE]

I have the Honda roof. Really like it. It's hard plastic; bends and springs back when you rub it on a tree. It's held on with the awesome ROPS clamps which are quick - release if you want to add wiring or gun racks etc. There is a decent front overhang which should be compatible with most windscreens. Consider making your own windscreen; it's easy and you can make it to fit your height and needs.
Al

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
you can carry a much bigger cooler for one! i see people on atvs when we ride and couldnt imagine doing it now. i use to ride and race hair scrambles on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. you couldnt pay me to trail ride one of those now. i use to get done riding and feel like i just went 12 rounds in a ring and be exhausted. now i take a shower and ready to hang out by the camp fire. it makes riding so much more enjoyable.

Reactions: Twangin and AlR
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Get the Honda roof.tough as nails,overhang is nice and people put storage,stereos,gun racks etc under it

advertisement
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Good to know it’s a good roof. And I may go the route of making my own windshield like someone suggested earlier. Can’t be very expensive to get a sheet of polycarbonate or something. Then find some generic bar clamps to mount it

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 700 But I think you'll be glad you have both types. I got to the point where I missed riding a wheeler vs. driving the Pioneer. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't consider getting rid of my Pioneer but they both have their time and place, and if you hit the trails with friends you can put the girls in the Pioneer while you fart around on the wheeler.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You won’t regret getting a p5, I test drove several different machines before buying mine. The width is what I like most, I can still check fence between the narrow paths we have cut through the woods and the roll cage is nice if you happen to roll over! Pull the trigger and ride.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Well this has surely helped make my mind up that the P500 is a great choice for me. I’m seeing some really good deals on leftover 2017 models but the problem is I really want the classic olive green one. Anyone know if the hood & 2 rear fenders are compatible throughout all years of the P500? I found a parts website that has these super cheap compared to other websites that list them at over $200. Would be awesome to get a really good deal on a 2017 and just put some olive green plastics on it from a 2015

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!