Be careful out there

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BLUEFIELD — A North Carolina man was killed in an ATV accident Saturday on the Pocahontas system of the Hatfield-McCoy Trails in Mercer County.

Officer J.D. Gills with the state Division of Natural Resources said the victim was identified as Robert Mahoney, 65, of Newton, N.C.

The accident occurred at about 1 p.m. Saturday, he said, when the victim was attempting a hill climb on trail 82, one of the more “aggressive” trails, which have a higher degree of difficulty.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
And earlier tonight, My wife was reading about a child that got killed on the back of an ATV.
It is sad.

But then...
She said, "see these things are dangerous and you don't need to take our daughter around the field anymore". I then asked her how many people were killed in car accidents today.... and told her she needed to walk to work because it is dangerous. Things did not go well from there. lol.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
We all need to be reminded from time to time that bad things can happen when riding. A family friend was doing donuts in his rzr about five years ago with his daughter. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and the razor rolled, pinning him down on his neck. His poor daughter had to watch him die and couldn't do anything about it.

Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Every time we do outdoor sports we take a chance. It always crosses my mind when I hunt, ride, ect. One of the biggest reasons I bought a sxs. I just had a buddy get killed Sunday turkey hunting, he got out of the blind to retrieve a shot bird, at the same time his father in law shot a 2nd time as the bird got back up, took a round at 20' in the back. Sports have degree of danger and accidents happen . Its part of the game, knowing this it's why I chose a honda 700 instead of a turbo maverick.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And earlier tonight, My wife was reading about a child that got killed on the back of an ATV.
It is sad.

But then...
She said, "see these things are dangerous and you don't need to take our daughter around the field anymore". I then asked her how many people were killed in car accidents today.... and told her she needed to walk to work because it is dangerous. Things did not go well from there. lol.
I have learned after years of riding Harley Davidson that it is easy to worry about things that may happen, what if situations like hitting a deer, of someone hitting you while they were texting. while sitting at home you can trip yourself out. But when you get behind the wheel it all changes. I don't worry about flipping over or anything like that I just enjoy the ride while being cautious. Most of us have known someone that has gotten hurt or killed while off-roading. But we still ride because that's what we love to do. I don't mean to ramble on, I just felt like this forum was about to enter the black hole of sad stories.

Reactions: ehart814
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We all need to be reminded from time to time that bad things can happen when riding. A family friend was doing donuts in his rzr about five years ago with his daughter. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and the razor rolled, pinning him down on his neck. His poor daughter had to watch him die and couldn't do anything about it.

Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Years back just before we had any sxs or big quad we were at a very remote location called the Airstrip in Canfield Idaho.there is no help for miles and back then just cell service was 30 out. We saw a little girl probably 12 or so doing doughnuts with a brand new rzr they started off big and got tighter and tighter with drastically more speed you could tell she was a newbie with no seatbelt it got our attention we hopped on our bikes and headed over. About half way out she caught a rut and rolled multiple times you could see her body flailing around. I'm not good with blood but my wife is a nurse and we come very prepared for anything she turned the dirtbike towards camp to get supplies I rode up to the girl but the amount of blood stopped me in my tracks. It was bad! Dirtbike people are a pretty good group everyone around came to help. I went back to get mattress and ramp with my truck. When I got back my wife was dressing her up they had her out you could see the whole right side of her body was wasted missing lots of skin. We looked for her parents but couldn't find them we noticed she came from around the corner. We slowly loaded her onto the bed and ramp into the back of a Toyota with 4 people in the back from various camp she was awake but screaming and unaware of who she was. They brought her in. The cops got there about 3 hours later looking for her parents me were pissed! They said she had various broken bones was torn up really bad still didn't know who she was no id and said her face would never be the same. They finally found her parents they were extremely drunk (it was about 3:30 pm) said they wouldn't come with the cops that they would sober up and go. Apparently they just bought the rig and tossed her the key without instructions helmet no seatbelt or supervision. They then waited around the corner until the parents finally started to drive out they had loaded camp and were totally ready and packed up. They were stopped and arrested right there infront of the whole place. One of the saddest days I remember but hopefully the parents got what they had coming. Who does that????? Sxs and quads are inherently safe they will stand up by themselves if something happens it's operators error so don't be dumb. This crap can be avoided! Being use to dirtbikes where this kind of thing doesn't really happen it set us back a few years with my wife especially getting 4 wheels. I won't look back now but it's instances like this that have kept my eyes opened. Technical stuff is usually so much safer then the parking lots racers showing off there inability to ride infront of onlookers. Have fun don't be dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Years back just before we had any sxs or big quad we were at a very remote location called the Airstrip in Canfield Idaho.there is no help for miles and back then just cell service was 30 out. We saw a little girl probably 12 or so doing doughnuts with a brand new rzr they started off big and got tighter and tighter with drastically more speed you could tell she was a newbie with no seatbelt it got our attention we hopped on our bikes and headed over. About half way out she caught a rut and rolled multiple times you could see her body flailing around. I'm not good with blood but my wife is a nurse and we come very prepared for anything she turned the dirtbike towards camp to get supplies I rode up to the girl but the amount of blood stopped me in my tracks. It was bad! Dirtbike people are a pretty good group everyone around came to help. I went back to get mattress and ramp with my truck. When I got back my wife was dressing her up they had her out you could see the whole right side of her body was wasted missing lots of skin. We looked for her parents but couldn't find them we noticed she came from around the corner. We slowly loaded her onto the bed and ramp into the back of a Toyota with 4 people in the back from various camp she was awake but screaming and unaware of who she was. They brought her in. The cops got there about 3 hours later looking for her parents me were pissed! They said she had various broken bones was torn up really bad still didn't know who she was no id and said her face would never be the same. They finally found her parents they were extremely drunk (it was about 3:30 pm) said they wouldn't come with the cops that they would sober up and go. Apparently they just bought the rig and tossed her the key without instructions helmet no seatbelt or supervision. They then waited around the corner until the parents finally started to drive out they had loaded camp and were totally ready and packed up. They were stopped and arrested right there infront of the whole place. One of the saddest days I remember but hopefully the parents got what they had coming. Who does that????? Sxs and quads are inherently safe they will stand up by themselves if something happens it's operators error so don't be dumb. This crap can be avoided! Being use to dirtbikes where this kind of thing doesn't really happen it set us back a few years with my wife especially getting 4 wheels. I won't look back now but it's instances like this that have kept my eyes opened. Technical stuff is usually so much safer then the parking lots racers showing off there inability to ride infront of onlookers. Have fun don't be dumb.
I've had two friends die at separate times off-roading they were both doing doughnuts when they flipped.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Holy crap I'm sorry @sharp ! I've seen that time and time again. I've been known to spin around on occasion but I won't do it with passengers and I won't do doughnuts all I takes is a stick to send you for a trip to the er. Sometimes I feel like its natural selection but it's always a tragedy! These are made for work or play not Aflac be safe everyone it's not the sxs that's dangerous!

Reactions: sharp
Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I been riding over 40 years and sometimes you see a situation and know something bad could happen. People just plain pushing their luck. But I have also seen things go suddenly wrong from a simple mistake. That's why I always say be careful out there. AND wear and use safety equipment for those things that just seem to sneak up on you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!