Bike for my Grandson Q's?

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Familiar with dirt/MX bikes per se (ex MX racer) and so is our family.
Putting a track back in on the property.

Have an almost 5 yr old tall/big boy and looking for a MX bike in the next few months before summer.
He's already got a couple electrics mastered and feel he'll outgrow a 50 way too fast.
Maybe a 50 big wheel but then it will be under powered.

Don't know much about the 65s and and want to stay with a name brand, not a Chinese knock off.
Damn near thinking to just throw him on an 80 and let him figure it out and grow into it....lol

Suggestions?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Have an almost 5 yr old tall/big boy and looking for a MX bike in the next few months before summer.
He's already got a couple electrics mastered and feel he'll outgrow a 50 way too fast.

Don't know much about the 65s and and want to stay with a name brand, not a Chinese knock off.
Damn near thinking to just throw him on an 80 and let him figure it out and grow into it....lol

Suggestions?
its like buying kids clothes, bikes at this age are only good until they really master it or the knees hit the handlebars, unless he is a super talent and you don't like him, IMO anything bigger than a 50 (PW or the likes) may be a little to much......

I guess if I was 5 and someone gave me something like that - I can be a little cramped - lol

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
its like buying kids clothes, bikes at this age are only good until they really master it or the knees hit the handlebars, unless he is a super talent and you don't like him, IMO anything bigger than a 50 (PW or the likes) may be a little to much......

I guess if I was 5 and someone gave me something like that - I can be a little cramped - lol
He's about the size of a 7 year old and growing fast, rides pretty dang good, his electric is about the same size as a 50 that he's mastered.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know starting them off on a something a little smaller and lighter than you’d think is usually the best bet, gives the confidence that’s so greatly needed for starting. Normally I’d say PW but maybe for his size and experience I’d think crf50 at least for a quick step, it’s heavy but short. Honestly if you buy used it doesn’t matter to buy bike he’d grow into because usually you don’t lose anything on resale on popular kids bike. It’s worth it for the confidence.
We always went PW50,crf50,ttr90,crf110 then figure out the next based on ability

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Suggestions?

I know starting them off on a something a little smaller and lighter than you’d think is usually the best bet, gives the confidence that’s so greatly needed for starting. Normally I’d say PW but maybe for his size and experience I’d think crf50 at least for a quick step, it’s heavy but short. Honestly if you buy used it doesn’t matter to buy bike he’d grow into because usually you don’t lose anything on resale on popular kids bike. It’s worth it for the confidence.
We always went PW50,crf50,ttr90,crf110 then figure out the next based on ability
u r a wise person - my daughter was tall at that age - didn’t want to scare the piss outta her on a 80cc 2 stroke rocket ship ( as well as hurt her) - I bought a knock off pw50 for $200, she rode it endlessly - it still lives today - my buddies tall 6 year old runs the piss out of it - all we ever did was get rid of the oil injection and run premix - think we had it hot once or twice where is seized up - but the China crap continues to rock on

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
He's about the size of a 7 year old and growing fast, rides pretty dang good, his electric is about the same size as a 50 that he's mastered.
If he's big, buy the 80, and make a carb limiter out of plastic tubing, take the slide out and put tubing over the throttle cable on top of the slide where it bottoms out on the carb access cap.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Availability.............. problem is there hasn't been much of anything that size used or new in the PNW. If you do it's at a premium.

One of the most important things no matter, is proper helmet fit. Seen too many bobble heads in my time, especially when I was a official and flagger when my step son used to race 80cc (2stroke). All those dads out there pushing the pw's up hills while their kids could barely keep their heads up. That will dump a kid quicker than anything.

If I can find one, may have to go with a crf50 or most likely a big wheel, just don't want his knees hitting the bars or underpowered.
KTM 65's are nice, but expensive, and known to need a mechanic around which grandpa is trying to keep to a minimum anymore.

Reactions: Backwoods
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If he's big, buy the 80, and make a carb limiter out of plastic tubing, take the slide out and put tubing over the throttle cable on top of the slide where it bottoms out on the carb access cap.
That's been a thought of ours...... he is big, and growig like a weed!
However didn't think about making a stop that way which would be perfect!

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yep - at that age it was about learning to gear up , start it, hand and foot controls and a little weight to the machine, the noise and heat and what not to do, touch, etc. guess if they do a Superman seat grab on a crf/pw its time to move up - lol

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!