Coolant leak on drain hose

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 20118 Pioneer 1000-5 , I noticed a small amount of coolant on the skid plate . There is a a small hose that comes from and fitting next to a larger hose which I think is a water pump hose. Is this small amount of coolant normal or is it a problem? I have about 1500 miles on the unit.

Reactions: DG Rider
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 20118 Pioneer 1000-5 , I noticed a small amount of coolant on the skid plate . There is a a small hose that comes from and fitting next to a larger hose which I think is a water pump hose. Is this small amount of coolant normal or is it a problem? I have about 1500 miles on the unit.
several have had to tighten up hose clamps on new units

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What you describe sounds like a water pump weep hole drain hose if its open ended. If that's the case, and the coolant is coming from the hose (as opposed to running down it) the water pump is leaking.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you describe sounds like a water pump weep hole drain hose if its open ended. If that's the case, and the coolant is coming from the hose (as opposed to running down it) the water pump is leaking.
several have had to tighten up hose clamps on new units
I'm sorry, I skimmed right over it.:mad: I'm glad some one actually paying attention replied. :) Nice catch DG!:cool:

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it is coming thur the small weep hose, not much but I do not thing it should have any weeping. I guess the water pump should be changed,right.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes it is coming thur the small weep hose, not much but I do not thing it should have any weeping. I guess the water pump should be changed,right.
Yep water pump seals going out.

How much coolant is coming out of it? Are we talkin one drop every time you crank it? The 700 had wordage in the factory service manual stating that a small amount of coolant loss from this tube was "normal". I came across this after seeing a bit of leaking from this tube on my 700 and kind of flipping out a bit.
Due to the wording in the service manual, I simply monitored it for a while, and sure enough, every time the machine would warm up about 1 or 2 drops would come out, especially in cold weather. In just under nine thousand miles, it never produced more than the one or two drops per warm up cycle.

I don't know if the 1000 has similar wording in the service manual or not. If it's leaking more than that amount I would replace it for sure.

Reactions: Mudwing
M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep water pump seals going out.

How much coolant is coming out of it? Are we talkin one drop every time you crank it? The 700 had wordage in the factory service manual stating that a small amount of coolant loss from this tube was "normal". I came across this after seeing a bit of leaking from this tube on my 700 and kind of flipping out a bit.
Due to the wording in the service manual, I simply monitored it for a while, and sure enough, every time the machine would warm up about 1 or 2 drops would come out, especially in cold weather. In just under nine thousand miles, it never produced more than the one or two drops per warm up cycle.

I don't know if the 1000 has similar wording in the service manual or not. If it's leaking more than that amount I would replace it for sure.
I just started it up and ran it for about 5 minutes and nothing came out of the hose the outside temp. is about 45 degrees.

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Small leak = ok
More then a few drops between rides I would be concerned.
I just took it a 14 mile ride and after I got back i let it set while I looked for leak I found that the large hose next to the small drain hose was loose and discolored. I was able to tighten it. I had a couple of drops come out of the drain hose, will ride again later tomorrow if I get a chance and see what I get. I don't think the loose clamp would affect the drain hose, what do you think?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just took it a 14 mile ride and after I got back i let it set while I looked for leak I found that the large hose next to the small drain hose was loose and discolored. I was able to tighten it. I had a couple of drops come out of the drain hose, will ride again later tomorrow if I get a chance and see what I get. I don't think the loose clamp would affect the drain hose, what do you think?
No...don't think so. If the big hose was leaking enough to lose pressure it might have actually helped the seal NOT leak, but it doesn't sound like it's that loose.

Here's what I did:
The weep hole/hose needs to drain, so you can't plug it off. I used a little bottle I had laying around that was white, so liquid could be seen through it. A small pill bottle would be nice. Fashion two holes in the lid and route the drain tube (or a shorter substitute tube from the parts store) into the bottle through one of the holes, just barely inside.
It has to be where anything will flow into the bottle, but won't back up into the tube if the level gets too high. Then mount the bottle below the water pump level. Zip tie it to the frame or whatever.

Go ride, and check the bottle occasionally. You will have caught anything that comes out and get a true feel for how much Is leaking. One or two drops is ok if you've been going a while. Anything more and I'd plan on doing a pump.
For comparison, my 700 probably would have taken 5 years to fill up the average Ibuprofen bottle at the rate it leaked on all day rides ( realistically, it was just dripping during warm up and then it would stop ).

The above is a temporary set up. I did mine to be more permanent by using 2 vacuum hose nipples epoxied into the lid and clamping the hose to them. The second (vent) side I ran up high. Mud guys vent them because grit will eventually work its way into the pump and shorten the life of the seal. With this set up, I had no chance of mud/water getting in, but still let the weep tube...well, weep, while keeping an eye on the bottle. Above all, you must allow it to vent and breathe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mollie46
advertisement
M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No...don't think so. If the big hose was leaking enough to lose pressure it might have actually helped the seal NOT leak, but it doesn't sound like it's that loose.

Here's what I did:
The weep hole/hose needs to drain, so you can't plug it off. I used a little bottle I had laying around that was white, so liquid could be seen through it. A small pill bottle would be nice. Fashion two holes in the lid and route the drain tube (or a shorter substitute tube from the parts store) into the bottle through one of the holes, just barely inside.
It has to be where anything will flow into the bottle, but won't back up into the tube if the level gets too high. Then mount the bottle below the water pump level. Zip tie it to the frame or whatever.

Go ride, and check the bottle occasionally. You will have caught anything that comes out and get a true feel for how much Is leaking. One or two drops is ok if you've been going a while. Anything more and I'd plan on doing a pump.
For comparison, my 700 probably would have taken 5 years to fill up the average Ibuprofen bottle at the rate it leaked on all day rides ( realistically, it was just dripping during warm up and then it would stop ).

The above is a temporary set up. I did mine to be more permanent by using 2 vacuum hose nipples epoxied into the lid and clamping the hose to them. The second (vent) side I ran up high. Mud guys vent them because grit will eventually work its way into the pump and shorten the life of the seal. With this set up, I had no chance of mud/water getting in, but still let the weep tube...well, weep, while keeping an eye on the bottle. Above all, you must allow it to vent and breathe.
thanks , sounds like a good idea.I will get some tubes and a bottle and test to see how much of a leak I have. I have just got my

Here's what I did:

Thanks, I will get some hoses and set up a test, I had just got my Trail Armor skids on when I discovered the leak. I will have to remove a couple of skids to make the alteration for testing.

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks , sounds like a good idea.I will get some tubes and a bottle and test to see how much of a leak I have. I have just got my

Thanks, I will get some hoses and set up a test, I had just got my Trail Armor skids on when I discovered the leak. I will have to remove a couple of skids to make the alteration for testing.
I found a section in my service manual and a small section on the water pump states that a small amount of coolant weeping from drain tube is normal, a pretty vague statement. No explanation on small amount. I have a small catch tube in place and will take a ride when I get a chance and inform.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!