BOX1

Cutting Brush in the Woods

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to figure out the easiest, cheapest way to clear brush in the woods to make new trails. Our property has quite a bit of unused ground that could be nice trails but the thick brush is such a pain to deal with. It's hilly, and I worry about rolling a tractor over. I could use a skid steer with a front mounted brush cutter, but it's pretty big. Ideally, I'd use a forestry mulcher but they are super expensive.

One of those DR field and brush mowers would do the job I think... but not exactly ideal since I can't run that and sit on my butt. LOL

I dream about being able to take a forestry mulcher back in there, but price and availability make it nearly impossible.

This brush is full of jaggers and it really sucks. I just bought a cordless hedge trimmer but much of it is just too thick and it would take a very long time to get through the amount of brush I want to get rid of. There is also a bunch of old tree tops and rotted trees laying around from the property being timbered years ago. I'd like to chop that crap up, but again I don't have access to a mulcher.

Anyone have any tips, tricks, ideas that won't cost me a million?
There is no magic answer. Just 2 options. To do it the cheap way, requires busting your butt and a lot of sweat. To do it the easy way (sitting on your butt) means it will be expensive. I have a Takeuchi 250 with High Flow Vial brush cutter and do a little business with it at $100/hr and that is the CHEAPEST you will find it.

Reactions: gch1911 and JTW
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There is no magic answer. Just 2 options. To do it the cheap way, requires busting your butt and a lot of sweat. To do it the easy way (sitting on your butt) means it will be expensive. I have a Takeuchi 250 with High Flow Vial brush cutter and do a little business with it at $100/hr and that is the CHEAPEST you will find it.

View attachment 195708
yep.

I sell that crap. I've got 2 6' cutters here now but my only track machine is out on rental for a while. I have a LX665 with metal tracks over the tires. I'm sure that would get around well in the woods. I would love to find a mulcher for a skid steer. Big bucks tho... There are so many old rotted logs laying around that a mulcher would turn to dust.

$100 an hour sounds pretty fair. If I knew someone around me with a mulcher on a skid steer I'd happily pay that much. 4 or 5 hours would probably be enough to do everything I want...

Reactions: JTW and BigOL3
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!