Dave Ramsey - Franklin, TN

J

Jshell3

My wife just returned from Franklin, TN. She attended Dave Ramsey's Financial Coach Master Training.

So if any of you need help budgeting for upgrades on your Pioneer... I'll get you a worksheet.

Haha.

Shelle got to tour Dave's studio (he was on vacation this week) and Financial Peace Plaza.

I know we have a lot of members on this forum from the Nashville Tennessee area. That's a beautiful place to be from!
IMG 0542
IMG 0545
IMG 0548

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
He is right about getting out of debt and he should stick to that.

He is wrong on just about every other thing he teaches though. His investment advice is horrible. It is only there to make HIM money through "endorsed local providers" that take a % of your money to send to him that you could do yourself through Vanguard or Fidelity or Blackrock and get just as good of results and not line his pockets. I went to one once out of curiosity. I asked the woman, so you want me to give you 3% of my investments so that you can UNDER PERFORM a basic market index fund 85% that only costs me .1% to own. Then she completely mangled an explanation of modern market theory and proceeded to prove that she had no understanding of basic statistics or arithmetic. Ummm, yeah.:rolleyes:

His advice on credit cards is silly for anyone with even a modicum of self control. People are using their debit cards like credit cards to avoid fraud but are missing out on $1,000's in rebates. My wife and I don't spend that much but we put everything on a credit card and still make $100s/year in rewards. For instance, just this week I used my Chase Freedom card to go buy $1,500 worth of Kroger gift cards. My wife uses them to buy groceries the EXACT same way a debit card works but we pocketed $75 with the 5% cash back.

If you are like Dave and live in a $30,000,0000 three level 30,000 sq ft house, $75 in cash back is nothing. To me, it is nice. I have a serious hangup with conspicuous consumption no matter how a person earned it. A 30,000 sq ft house at the highest point in an exclusive subdivision for two people is just that. Showing off wealth just to be showing it off. I find that tasteless. Especially for someone who so avidly promotes "Christianity".

That point segues into my other dislike about him. Through his show he promotes something whether intentionally or not called Prosperity Theology - Prosperity theology - Wikipedia which is only once step away from a cargo cult -Cargo cult - Wikipedia. Which practically antithetical to anything taught by Christianity and the actions of Christ himself. Rich man, eye of the needle and all of that.

I also don't like how much he has changed the way he talks to people. He has gone from being friendly and helpful to extremely arrogant and overbearing. A prime example of this is when a listener asked him about his continued use of a 12% annual return on the "stock market". It would have been funny if he hadn't been such an ass about it. The change is probably the difference from being someone trying to get listeners working from their kitchen table to being a multi-multi-millionaire with a $30M house.

I have been listening to him almost since he started back in the late 1990's. I used to listen to him more, but I don't take any of his advice on anything other than paying off debt and I advise others to do the same. But apparently people do listen and send him money.:eek:

I think Clark Howard is MUCH better and for investment advice, I go with Mr. Taylor Larimore's basic 3 fund Lazy portfolio Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads.

Mr. Larimore was in the 101st in Bastogne and does not hesitate to help anyone who asks without any arrogance when he isn't out racing his sailboat.:D
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

J

Jshell3

He is wrong on just about every other thing he teaches though. His investment advice is horrible. It is only there to make HIM money through "endorsed local providers" that take a % of your money to send to him that you could do yourself through Vanguard or Fidelity or Blackrock and get just as good of results and not line his pockets. I went to one once out of curiosity. I asked the woman, so you want me to give you 3% of my investments so that you can UNDER PERFORM a basic market index fund 85% that only costs me .1% to own. Then she completely mangled an explanation of modern market theory and proceeded to prove that she had no understanding of basic statistics or arithmetic. Ummm, yeah.:rolleyes:

His advice on credit cards is silly for anyone with even a modicum of self control. People are using their debit cards like credit cards to avoid fraud but are missing out on $1,000's in rebates. My wife and I don't spend that much but we put everything on a credit card and still make $100s/year in rewards. For instance, just this week I used my Chase Freedom card to go buy $1,500 worth of Kroger gift cards. My wife uses them to buy groceries the EXACT same way a debit card works but we pocketed $75 with the 5% cash back.

If you are like Dave and live in a $30,000,0000 three level 30,000 sq ft house, $75 in cash back is nothing. To me, it is nice. I have a serious hangup with conspicuous consumption no matter how a person earned it. A 30,000 sq ft house at the highest point in an exclusive subdivision for two people is just that. Showing off wealth just to be showing it off. I find that tasteless. Especially for someone who so avidly promotes "Christianity".

That point segues into my other dislike about him. Through his show he promotes something whether intentionally or not called Prosperity Theology - Prosperity theology - Wikipedia which is only once step away from a cargo cult -Cargo cult - Wikipedia. Which practically antithetical to anything taught by Christianity and the actions of Christ himself. Rich man, eye of the needle and all of that.

I also don't like how much he has changed the way he talks to people. He has gone from being friendly and helpful to extremely arrogant and overbearing. A prime example of this is when a listener asked him about his continued use of a 12% annual return on the "stock market". It would have been funny if he hadn't been such an ass about it. The change is probably the difference from being someone trying to get listeners working from their kitchen table to being a multi-multi-millionaire with a $30M house.

I have been listening to him almost since he started back in the late 1990's. I used to listen to him more, but I don't take any of his advice on anything other than paying off debt and I advise others to do the same. But apparently people do listen and send him money.:eek:

I think Clark Howard is MUCH better and for investment advice, I go with Mr. Taylor Larimore's basic 3 fund Lazy portfolio Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads.

Mr. Larimore was in the 101st in Bastogne and does not hesitate to help anyone who asks without any arrogance when he isn't out racing his sailboat.:D
Appreciate that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Soooo, what.. Does Dave have stock in Honda pk1 clutches or something? Good lord man! Lmao

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And He try's never to make the same mistake twice and He doesn't like German Polka Classes

Reactions: nbomar and Jshell3
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Soooo, what.. Does Dave have stock in Honda pk1 clutches or something? Good lord man! Lmao

I do have other hobbies than complaining about my Pioneer 1000. :)

Investing/personal finance is one of my other hobbies.

I hate to see people getting taken advantage of to make a buck. Especially by someone who wears Christianity on their sleeve in an effort to do so.

I have no problem whatsoever with people making loads of money and spending it however they want, but I think there is a "right" way to do it and a "wrong" way and I think using religion to do and justify it is not the "right" way.

J

JTW

I do have other hobbies than complaining about my Pioneer 1000. :)

Investing/personal finance is one of my other hobbies.

I hate to see people getting taken advantage of to make a buck. Especially by someone who wears Christianity on their sleeve in an effort to do so.

I have no problem whatsoever with people making loads of money and spending it however they want, but I think there is a "right" way to do it and a "wrong" way and I think using religion to do and justify it is not the "right" way.
I like skipping midgets across the pond.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I listen to him regularly, I like lot of what he has to say. I won't get into an argument on the topic, by the way his house was 7 million.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!