BOX1

Difficulty shifting into gear?

M

Manly bug

Oct 7, 2013
This is my first SXS so maybe this is normal but it just doesn't seem right. My Pioneer is pretty tough to switch between R, N, D and back most of the time. Then when it goes into gear, it kind of "clangs" into gear. Just does not seem right for a Honda, what am I missing?

I've tried all sorts of different ways of shifting, ensuring there is not stress on the transmission. Level ground, foot on the brake, D, to N, to R, back--it's usually pretty rough.

I was thinking maybe it's because of the climate (I'm in CO) but that does not seem to be the case either, because usually it's around 60 degrees and even after an hour of riding it's still the same thing.

I checked the shifter linkage under the front hood, and everything looks normal, I followed the cable all the way down the side and underneath into the transmission and everything looks normal as far as I can tell.

I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with this--is it normal? Same thing on the Big Reds?

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Mine was the exact same. It has gotten easier as it breaks in. I have aroumd 300 miles on mine and only
Recently gotten easier. They told me at dealer it would get easier as everything broke in amd loosened up amd they were correct. Nothing to worry about.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Good news! Mine is doing the same thing- it did seem to engage and disengage easily after a few miles. However, when it is cold, kind of a bear

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Make sure the engine is at idle. Shift quickly to avoid the clunk. You can start it in gear also. The Rincon, Big Red, and Pioneer all clunk shifting into gear and its normal. If you shift real slow it will grind the shift dogs. Your dealer should have told you this.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hondabob is correct. You can not baby it. Just make sure its at idle and hit it hard, I just took my P4 in for it's first service and it is getting easier going into gear. I have 110 miles now. It's my first sxs and it isn't the same as my rubicon 4x4. The more you ride it around the more you are going to love it.

vfr-ray

vfr-ray

Oct 28, 2013
Mine too.
Getting better though.
150 miles
Thanks for the shifting tip Hondabob

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I found myself parking in gear to avoid the hateful shifts this weekend. You can leave in in 'D' or 'R' when you park. Apply pressure to the foot brake and it will start in gear. That is no help when you need to back up tho! :)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Best advise is like said above. Do not baby it. Jerk it into gear.
If you slowly pull it, it is possible to be in D when the shift is in N and so forth. Babying it will damage the gear dogs and cause future problems much like the Rincons had if they rub together too much.
It does get easier after some use.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was like that when new also, now very rarely is it hard to shift.

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine is still pretty new and have the same problem...BUt, I want to plow snow and going from D to R with the groves in dash where shifter locks in place may be a real pain.

What if I took the dremmel and ground off the points on the notches-anyone understand what I mean ? Would it still stay in the gear without jumping out ? Should make it easier for snow plowing, and backing up.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine is still pretty new and have the same problem...BUt, I want to plow snow and going from D to R with the groves in dash where shifter locks in place may be a real pain.

What if I took the dremmel and ground off the points on the notches-anyone understand what I mean ? Would it still stay in the gear without jumping out ? Should make it easier for snow plowing, and backing up.

I wouldn’t.

B

BigBadJB

Dec 12, 2018
Vancouver, WA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Same as above. Mine is my 1st SXS and after many Honda Cars and Motorcycles I was really surprised at how difficult it was to shift. I just took mine to dealer for 1st Service at 310 miles and he said shift cable adjust can help but it’s also the way they are. Suprising too that the valves needed adjustment. That’s a 1st for a Honda on 1st Service and such low miles.

C

CWL23

Mar 31, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mines a 2019 700 and its a beast to shift sometimes . Had me a little worried. Only have 90 miles on it so guess nothing to worry about seems pretty common.

Reactions: DG Rider
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mines a 2019 700 and its a beast to shift sometimes . Had me a little worried. Only have 90 miles on it so guess nothing to worry about seems pretty common.
It’ll get better with time. I’m over 1400 miles and it pretty much drops right into gear when I shift. ;)

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It'll get better. They work better if you don't try and finesse it, though. Grip it and rip it!

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!