P700 Do I need relay for this Light Bar?

G

Greg1881

Sep 17, 2020
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My Daughter got me a Alpena Trektec Light Bar D17-P for my 2016 Pioneer 700, but of course it does not come with an On/Off switch, extra wiring or tells me whether I need to install a Relay. So I am a little lost. Specs say it has a current draw of 4.85A@12 Volts and Power of 58.2W.

Can I install this directly to the Battery with the Red Power wire just having a fuse and if I can what size fuse should I use?

If I need to install a Relay can you tell me what brand and type of Relay I should get. I live a ways out from a town so Ebay, Amazon the Club Store would be best to purchase from.

Last, Any suggesting on an ON/Off swith with wiring I could use to mount under the dash?

Thank you

Greg

Pic

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Should do a relay. What kind of switch panel do you have?
If dont have one, its recommended for other things u might add. This one works well and just wire up the lite

Limited-time deal: Auxbeam 6 Gang Switch Panel BC60, Universal Circuit Control Relay System Box with Automatic Dimmable On-Off LED Switch Pod Touch Switch Box for Car Pickup Truck UTV SUV Boat, 2 Year Warranty, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRV197G?tag=sxsweb24-20

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do not have a switch panel. Thinking to just drill a hole in the dash with a small on/off switch. Wondering if I can go with a Nilight Relay kit I see on Amazon?
Got a link to that?
Id still do the switch panel. You’ll thank me later with kisses 😘
NHMO

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
First off, that Auxbean 6 gang switch panel that Remi linked is sweet! I'd do that cuz you can add more stuff later. If you just want one switch on the dash you shouldn't need a relay. 16 gage wire can handle 10amps at 12volts. And you could easily splice in an inline 5 or 6 Amp fuse. I am running 4 led lights on Pockets with no relay. One is a 6 led bar the other 3 lights are tiny. I my have used 14ga wire though, I'll have to check. If all 4 lights are on at the same time it's probably less than 6 Amps total. I used 30amp rocker switches from autozone. From the battery I ran + and - to a bus bar in a electrical box. Then out to the switches and lights.

Attachments Downloadfile 3 Attachments 2 20230821 194333 D3 1

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
As long as you fuse it with a good switch you don't need a relay.
Most carling switches can handle 15 amps (20 rated).

Relays are always a good decision tho.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!