P500 Drivetrain issues. P500 losing power and stalling

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
Hi, Im hoping someone has an idea. I recently took my bike out and we went into some fairly deep water. Nothing went into the intake but not reading the post on here about not snorkelling the fuel vent line before this excursion I ended up sucking some water into my fuel (I think anyways). Heres the issue. I thought there was water in the fuel and thats why my sxs is losing power and slowing down to a stall, so I siphoned out as much fuel as I could, I replaced the oil and filter to be safe and I filled it with premium to dilute the remaining water as much as possible. I went out again yesterday and I pushed it hard just to make sure that there was no further issues. It ran great but it seemed like the sxs was running a little hot, the display gauge said it was more than fine and I got NO warnings of any sort but it just seemed hot to me. I was reading about issues with the mufflers and something about it causing similar issues. For reference when it started having issues I was in the bottom 3rd of my tank (or a little lower). Im just wondering if its the water in the fuel still? or does it sound more like a muffler issue....Any info would be appreciated!!!

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
water is heavier than gas so it will be on the bottom of the tank. How did the oil that you took out look? did it have water in it? you say its seems to be running hot, maybe it was a little hotter becuase you "took it out yesterday and pushed it hard"? If you think you may have a little water in the fuel, maybe a little bit of fuel treatment from an auto parts store would help?

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
The oil looked fine, I was just being over cautious. I did a few oil changes just to make absolutely sure there was no possibility of water in the oil. I figured that there might be water in the bottom of the tank but its impossible to siphon out all of it. I was just wondering if this looks more like the issue I saw in another thread with the stock muffler or more like water in the fuel...Im at a loss really

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Run the Pioneer up on ramps/a mound/ use the winch to lift the front - then siphon the fuel, putting the hose to the low side of the tank. This will get the vast majority of the fuel out. Refill with fresh gas, and dump a little Seafoam (at the auto parts store or Wal Mart , about $8 a can but WORKS) in with the gas and give that a try. Good luck

Reactions: Alexa
Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
I siphoned out the gas filled it with seafoam and filled it back up with premium wish me luck

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
There were a few 700's that were losing power and they found that the internal baffle in the muffler had broken loose and was restricting the exhaust enough to lose power. They could see it by removing the spark arrester and looking inside the muffler.
Perhaps if you went deep enough to cover the exhaust it may have caused the baffles to break. Maybe a long shot but worth looking at.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
could have messed the cat up if water got into the exhaust

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I hate when cats get in my exhaust lol they always clog sh!t up

Reactions: JACKAL
Alexa

Alexa

May 7, 2015
Tifton, GA
My $0.02.... depending on what kind of gas you put in your unit and what time of the day you purchased, there may be water in your gas.. not from your trip... if you're buying gas, make sure to purchase first thing in the morning, or late afternoon.... mid day gas tends to be warmer, causing air build up, as well as heat creating a form of "precipitation" almost at the fuel pumps... Honda is very clear that you don't have to use any special gas or fuel stabilizer, as their units are typically bullet proof and don't need it... if I may make a suggestion.... we use non-ethanol marine gas - to ensure that its the purest and cleanest gas that you can put in your unit without adding stabilizers or anything.. just a thought.

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
thanks a lot for the input guys, this forums the best one out there especially with these new machines! Im snorkelling it soon and putting so 27'' on her Ill post pics when I do it

Reactions: Fordman
T

Thelma1994

Feb 11, 2014
I have a 2014 pioneer 700/p2 that had the muffler problem. When it was cold it went fine the minute it warmed up it lost power and the speed dropped. If you pressed the gas pedal it would stall. After I got the new muffler it runs better and has more speed than when I got it new. Every time you let it sit till it's cold the power was ok when the muffler was bad. Honda wouldn't contact the dealer back on what to do with paying for it. My machine was there a month and the dealer said they will just let me have it. Honda should recall the muffler cause that's a safety issue. I can think what it would be like crossing a highway and lose power as a car coming. They would say another ATV accident

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Thelma1994, How recent was your muffler issue?
I was keeping a listing of them but it seemed like reports stopped coming in around fall last year.
There have been no reports of this happening with any 2015 models, both the 700 and 500.
Thanks.

T

Thelma1994

Feb 11, 2014
My pioneer 700 muffler started with 190 miles on it. At the 300 miles I couldn't live with it. I took it in to the shop and they had it for a month because honda wouldn't communicate with the shop about it. The machine was out of warranty but they gave it to me anyway. This was the month of July 2015

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
Mine happened after fall last year. After siphoning out the fuel and running some fuel dryer through it, its running like its old self again. Thanks for all the input. Now to snorkel the damn thing, especially my fuel vent pipe lol -_-

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Glad I ran across this thread, has no idea the vent hose has a habit of sucking in water, but the above theory makes perfect sense. Re-routing my vent hoses for sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!