Dual Battery setup?

gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have searched the forums, if there is a link that I missed please feel free to post ( I found a bunch of posts pertaining to the Pioneers but nothing for talons). I purchased the elite engineering battery tray. I am wanting to run a deep cycle as a an aux battery for all my acc. (winch, multiple lights, heaters ect.). Is anyone else running a similar setup? If so can you post some pictures and battery information. Do I need to go with a deep cycle? Please and Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You may want to stick with an AGM battery like the factory one. AGM's charge and float at a higher voltage than Flooded batteries (such as a deep cycle) and the Talon is designed for an AGM battery so the charging system might (probably will) overcharge a deep cycle and ruin it.

Also, most deep cycle batteries are not sealed and they will leak in a machine that bounces around like a UTV.

The most important item you should consider is a proper isolator relay. There are some specifically designed for UTV's that will isolate the main battery if the voltage drops too low so that your starting battery always gets charged. The online store here carries them and the price is very good...

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Echo what Paul said. Deep cycles on low wattage charging systems tend to make the charge circuit hot. The stator on our boat is only 13A (160W). We had an isolator for two batteries and melted the insulation at the voltage regulator trying to charge a deep cycle that was dead. Stay with a True isolator (like the one sold on the online store) and an AGM battery and you should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes I am going to be purchasing one off the SXS store for sure, just wasn't sure which one to get. I was kicking around the idea to get a Lithium battery but think I'm going to steer away from that and just get like an Odyssey AGM. Thanks for the help.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the EXE battery tray also. I'm using a powersports AGM battery from Oreilly Auto. Has worked out great.

50903537067 834e5b5dfd b

Reactions: TripleB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!