P1000 Dynojet tunes

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is anyone running the tunes that come on the dynonjet? Looking for cooler running. Are they for high octane?

Reactions: TxDoc and JenElio
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u need to provide more details

like miles, year, modifications

whats high octane - how many octanes and why

cooler running what? engine, cab, etc.

yes - the tunes can change fan on temp

lastly - generally before any more help - please provide pics, you could be asking for a friend - we like pics....

i would really like a good clear pic of your radiator fins - all I got in life

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Sounds as if you already have a PV3? Pull the info file and email it to PPEI, but ring them first and tell them what you're looking for. I haven't flashed my P1K-5 yet, but have their tune in my Talon. Shifting is much better and seems to have more off the bottom, midrange and top end. First ride this weekend with new tune and very pleased. They also lower the temp when your fan kicks on. Did notice the fan running more, and ran very cool, but it always does

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
u need to provide more details

like miles, year, modifications

whats high octane - how many octanes and why

cooler running what? engine, cab, etc.

yes - the tunes can change fan on temp

lastly - generally before any more help - please provide pics, you could be asking for a friend - we like pics....

i would really like a good clear pic of your radiator fins - all I got in life
Do you need relationship status too? Lol

2017 pk1-5 29”.5x9.5” carnivores
Super lift arched a-arms in front.
Dei heat shield under seat and bilge blower venting air downward thru the skid plate.
1100 miles.
87 is regular octane and 91 or 93 I consider high octane for this purpose.
Runs great until I am rock crawling in the mountains or riding in the swamp 3-5mph. Heat coming from underneath will get the bar that the headrest attaches to, hot enough to leave a blister.
A few minutes at this temp and it will quit shifting out of first and a warning light on the left side of the display come on. I can stop it and pull the seat off and let it cook back down and it’s will clear the light and start shifting again.
I am aware of Florida Cracker and some others do custom tunes, but I am inquiring about the tunes that come on PV3, I see where they state on their website that they change the cooling fan set point, but do they alter the fuel ratio to help run cooler too?
Running 10hp or faster and heat is not a problem. Just when riding slow in low range.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
The tune on your PV3 from Dynojet is pretty generic. I flashed theirs into the Talon and didn't notice much of a difference. You may want to clean out your radiator really good, flush and add water wetter or comparable product. Also change your oil and making sure to install oil that meets OE specifications. The PPEI tune I spoke of also increases clutch clamping pressure with will reduce clutch slippage.

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tune on your PV3 from Dynojet is pretty generic. I flashed theirs into the Talon and didn't notice much of a difference. You may want to clean out your radiator really good, flush and add water wetter or comparable product. Also change your oil and making sure to install oil that meets OE specifications. The PPEI tune I spoke of also increases clutch clamping pressure with will reduce clutch slippage.
Water wetter added and running all Honda oils and filters. Radiator fins are clean. Just happens in certain scenarios, runs fine all other times.

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw 5 available tunes on there website, so I was t sure if there one of them would work, without having to buy programmer and then buy tunes at the same time.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
If you posses a tuner, you wouldn't need to purchase another. You send them the info file from your machine and they send you a tune for $$. They write a specific tune for your machine or you can purchase one or all of their canned tunes. A friend who short course races a Talon turned me on to them. Very easy to work with and quick turn around. If you don't have constant access to higher octane fuels, don't purchase a higher octane tune as you will be running too much timing considering you might be running inferior fuel.

Reactions: TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

2017 pk1-5 29”.5x9.5” carnivores
Super lift arched a-arms in front.
Dei heat shield under seat and bilge blower venting air downward thru the skid plate.
1100 miles.
87 is regular octane and 91 or 93 I consider high octane for this purpose.
Runs great until I am rock crawling in the mountains or riding in the swamp 3-5mph. Heat coming from underneath will get the bar that the headrest attaches to, hot enough to leave a blister.
A few minutes at this temp and it will quit shifting out of first and a warning light on the left side of the display come on. I can stop it and pull the seat off and let it cook back down and it’s will clear the light and start shifting again.
I am aware of Florida Cracker and some others do custom tunes, but I am inquiring about the tunes that come on PV3, I see where they state on their website that they change the cooling fan set point, but do they alter the fuel ratio to help run cooler too?
Running 10hp or faster and heat is not a problem. Just when riding slow in low range.
do you have a lotta liquid cash?

still need pics - preferably with you next to machine - lol 😝

actually sounds like it is working good and protecting clutch - if it’s the clutch light - the recommended thing to do is stop, let engine idle and let oil cooler do the work - it’s there for a reason

outta talent after that - maybe the tunes will help but if u are going slow and lots of load - not sure

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
After looking at PPEI's site, it appears they don't offer a tune for your machine. Good luck with your issues

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you posses a tuner, you wouldn't need to purchase another. You send them the info file from your machine and they send you a tune for $$. They write a specific tune for your machine or you can purchase one or all of their canned tunes. A friend who short course races a Talon turned me on to them. Very easy to work with and quick turn around. If you don't have constant access to higher octane fuels, don't purchase a higher octane tune as you will be running too much timing considering you might be running inferior fuel.
I do not posses a tuner. I haven’t bought one yet, I am aware of how they work, where to buy them, and how to buy the tunes from a seperate programmer. All I am asking in the original post is for others experiences, with the tunes that dynonjet puts out.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Looks like you already provided that when you said this:

"Dei heat shield under seat and bilge blower venting air downward thru the skid plate."

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you're tuning specifically to keep things cool, you might consider an easier solution that doesn't increase the potential for unrelated issues to crop up like an aftermarket tune might/would.

The HondaSXS.com Club Store offers a cooling fan override switch for your machine. It's a completely plug-and-play solution (no splicing wires) with a two-position lighted Carling rocker switch that allows you to run it in either FAN ON mode or factory mode (on/off based on engine temp).

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're tuning specifically to keep things cool, you might consider an easier solution that doesn't increase the potential for unrelated issues to crop up like an aftermarket tune might/would.

The HondaSXS.com Club Store offers a cooling fan override switch for your machine. It's a completely plug-and-play solution (no splicing wires) with a two-position lighted Carling rocker switch that allows you to run it in either FAN ON mode or factory mode (on/off based on engine temp).
Doesn’t the tune change the fuel to air ration to help with exhaust temps too?

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Doesn’t the tune change the fuel to air ration to help with exhaust temps too?
Tunes can do lots of things. I was just offering a different possible solution if in case all you were worried about was the overheating @ slow crawl.

Keeping your radiator clean is the best first step (ask me how I know). Also, if she's constantly changing gears when crawling at slow speeds, put her in MT mode and used only one or two gears, only shifting when absolutely necessary.