P1000 feels tippy and squirrelly with new tires/wheels and spacers

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Is there a wheel spacer brand you like better than another, or does it matter?
don't matter, its just a piece of whittled 6061 aluminum

ive run the rough country (low price) on multiple machines and wheels never fell off

Reactions: HBarlow and Shelly
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is there a wheel spacer brand you like better than another, or does it matter?
RB3 is one of our sponsoring vendors - 😍

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
don't matter, its just a piece of whittled 6061 aluminum

ive run the rough country (low price) on multiple machines and wheels never fell off
Thanks

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks

Reactions: HBarlow and CID
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Remove the spacers and test.
Or remove the front spacer and put only the 1" in the rear.

This ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

By changing from OEM front wheels with a 30mm offset to 5+2 wheels AND 1" spacer you now have 3" offset or 78-80 mm. This fux up the steering geometry.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone run 28” Efx motohammers? If so what psi are you running in them? I put 15 in them as a starting point. Open to suggestions. 😎
I’ve got MotoClaws in 28”. Mine are at 13.5 psi.

Reactions: ChadD and Shelly
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone run 28” Efx motohammers? If so what psi are you running in them? I put 15 in them as a starting point. Open to suggestions. 😎
That's kinda like asking what oil to use. :eek:

Since my Talon is about the same weight as a P1K, I'll give some general information -

IIRC, the Pioneer manual recommends 14/15 lbs. The Talon R is spec'd at 16 for all 4 corners and the X is spec'd at 14, I 'think', the manual is kind of confusing.

The only reason I see for running them that high is if you're allowed to be on the pavement (I'm not) or if you're a high speed off road rider (I am 'sometimes'). The Pioneer and Talon will never be accused of having a plush or supple suspension, so I use tire pressure to help with that. Currently, I'm running 9 lbs. front and 10 rear (because the engine is back there).

One of the reasons I went with beadlocks is so I could run lower pressures and not have to think about the bead unseating. I doubt that you have beadlocks but I also doubt that you ride like yer hair's on fire. :oops: One of our members ran 8 lbs on non beadlocks for thousands of miles without a problem and he was turboed, so a hair's on fire kinda guy.

I know guys run 7-8 lbs at Moab but they're on beadlocks.

All that to say, if you're dirt only, I'd start at 10 lbs, just for the improvement in ride quality. (only if you ride very little pavement) Otherwise, you choice of 15 is pretty good IMO.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's kinda like asking what oil to use. :eek:

Since my Talon is about the same weight as a P1K, I'll give some general information -

IIRC, the Pioneer manual recommends 14/15 lbs. The Talon R is spec'd at 16 for all 4 corners and the X is spec'd at 14, I 'think', the manual is kind of confusing.

The only reason I see for running them that high is if you're allowed to be on the pavement (I'm not) or if you're a high speed off road rider (I am 'sometimes'). The Pioneer and Talon will never be accused of having a plush or supple suspension, so I use tire pressure to help with that. Currently, I'm running 9 lbs. front and 10 rear (because the engine is back there).

One of the reasons I went with beadlocks is so I could run lower pressures and not have to think about the bead unseating. I doubt that you have beadlocks but I also doubt that you ride like yer hair's on fire. :oops: One of our members ran 8 lbs on non beadlocks for thousands of miles without a problem and he was turboed, so a hair's on fire kinda guy.

I know guys run 7-8 lbs at Moab but they're on beadlocks.

All that to say, if you're dirt only, I'd start at 10 lbs, just for the improvement in ride quality. (only if you ride very little pavement) Otherwise, you choice of 15 is pretty good IMO.
Thx. I set them at the 15 for starting point. I will be off road mostly. I will lower the psi some. I do not run like my hair is on fire lol. Loved that reference. And as you said the ride can definitely be improved. Thanks!

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have to agree With @CID. Especially if you’re going with 1” spacers. RB3 makes their spacers a little thicker than 1” so you don’t have to grind down the studs and lug nuts to obtain a flat mounting surface for the wheels.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thx. I set them at the 15 for starting point. I will be off road mostly. I will lower the psi some. I do not run like my hair is on fire lol. Loved that reference. And as you said the ride can definitely be improved. Thanks!
New tires,wheels and 1” spacers on the rear. installed! Rides great!

IMG 3639

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got @RB3offroad 1"spacers on the rear, 5+2 x 14" wheels all the way around. Big Horn II's with 28x9's on front and 28x11's on back @14 psi. It handles great with no sway.

Reactions: ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I use a set of four OEM "Deluxe" 14" wheels and Tensor Regulator tires if my feeble memory serves and 1" spacers at rear. My buggy feels perfectly planted and stable at all times.

What inflation pressure are you using?

Reactions: ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!