Finally added the 2nd battery

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just did a "simple" addition, did not go the isolator route .... 1st I really dont think it is necessary, 2nd I am a believer in KISS .... keep it simple stupid .... since my knowledge on wiring is limited.....lol.

There was just enough room around the battery for the 3/16 foam to make it a tight fit and protect the post. I ran a very small cable under the foam and around battery to simplify removing the battery since it was a tight fit and heavy.
C3d281734d8eeae275ad983bce747bb6675d371fb045e241d33a0548133eaf3c34388228aa7fc583252420be2a5c317a19d364b74e5251d4f1c5304507273ec5Cf2ed8f7e3a72e23877e12f70519ebe0

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the good and the bad. After finishing up I decided to try the winch out (good thing). It did not work. I remembered causing a slight arc on the controller when putting the wires back on. Ended up making 3 different calls to Warn to check various things. First fella told me it was VERY unlikely the controller was the problem. Bottom line, the controller is the problem, apparently the arc blew it. The Good news is the last fella said he will have one shipped out tomorrow on warranty. It is a Vantage 4000, about 8 months old and he did not even required me to send proof.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes me wary of the AXON line. With an “old fashioned” winch you can use any contactor as long as it’s heavy enough or even go straight to the battery if you HAVE to, with one of those it’s an internal part....

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well the good and the bad. After finishing up I decided to try the winch out (good thing). It did not work. I remembered causing a slight arc on the controller when putting the wires back on. Ended up making 3 different calls to Warn to check various things. First fella told me it was VERY unlikely the controller was the problem. Bottom line, the controller is the problem, apparently the arc blew it. The Good news is the last fella said he will have one shipped out tomorrow on warranty. It is a Vantage 4000, about 8 months old and he did not even required me to send proof.

This is the main reason I buy WARN. Their service is top notch. I've only needed parts a couple times but when I did they don't bicker they just send you what you need. Great company to work with.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
That makes me wary of the AXON line. With an “old fashioned” winch you can use any contactor as long as it’s heavy enough or even go straight to the battery if you HAVE to, with one of those it’s an internal part....

Me too, but I put my order in for one :). I decided to trust WARN got the integrated digital system worked out. One of the drivers for me was I'm putting it in a 700-4 and mounting electronics (2nd battery etc) under the hood and not having to add contactor there (limited space) was attractive. But I still have a bit of apprehension that the integrated and onboard contactor could be problematic if it ever fails.

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Me too, but I put my order in for one :). I decided to trust WARN got the integrated digital system worked out. One of the drivers for me was I'm putting it in a 700-4 and mounting electronics (2nd battery etc) under the hood and not having to add contactor there (limited space) was attractive. But I still have a bit of apprehension that the integrated and onboard contactor could be problematic if it ever fails.

I just ordered one of the new Warn VRX 4500 winches. I'm interested to see how the new Axon works out for you. It looks pretty impressive. There are certainly other good brands out there but it's hard to switch from a brand I've used for 20 years without failure. Got mine from a place called Montana Jacks and the guy was great to work with. He's a big Warn dealer.

Reactions: BKelly and BWAF
B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just ordered one of the new Warn VRX 4500 winches. I'm interested to see how the new Axon works out for you. It looks pretty impressive. There are certainly other good brands out there but it's hard to switch from a brand I've used for 20 years without failure. Got mine from a place called Montana Jacks and the guy was great to work with. He's a big Warn dealer.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the VRX, too. I went back and forth between the VRX and Axon; it was a close call for my needs/situation. Ordered mine (4500 synthetic) from same place.

Reactions: BWAF and Cuoutdoors

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!