DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Western Honda finally got my Pioneer in, so now i officially own one!

[album]808[/album]
[album]809[/album]

Going to get in a short trail ride tomorrow. Nothing too serious as i don't have the winch installed OR my tag for AZ. Report soon!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
DG Rider said:
Finally!!!
You darn right. Congratulations. About time you got your foot in one of your own. Now lets here your mod list? and are you going to go all in now or work on it over time?
c-ya on the trial...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
DG Rider said:
Finally!!!
You darn right. Congratulations. About time you got your foot in one of your own. Now lets here your mod list? and are you going to go all in now or work on it over time?
c-ya on the trial...
Over time.
I warn you that it will be boring, as i tend to leave well enough alone.

Hard top (ordered).
Winch and mount ( had for a month, will install next week ).
Skid plates down the road.
Maybe 1/2 windshield.
That probably sums it up...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. I'm a slow mod'er too. Like to take my time as it can get expensive.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Congrats DG Rider, Sometimes the anticipation of wanting and waiting for something is better than when you actually get it. In this case, I think you'll continue to enjoy the experience for many years to come. I'm a slow mod'er as well;waiting for the aftermarket to kick-in with all kinds of new accessory options and pricing.
Again, congratulations on the new Pioneer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have the patience of a monk. Congrats on taking delivery!

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
Nice. I like the red one. Have fun breaking it in on the trail...

bfair

bfair

Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2013
Have fun!!! We do the grandkids love it. My son and The 2 grand sons are taking it deer hunting tomorrow.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not much time to talk fellow Pions, but very quickly...

Took it out and now have about 34 miles or so. 34 Rocky miles near Williams, AZ.

Cons: With all the postings in the power section and the concerns i had mentioned, you just know it would have an issue, and it did. Climbing through a very rocky section, there were some stair step style boulders probably a foot high i had to cross going up hill. Upon rolling up to these, the machine spun in 2WD and slid over slightly. Then in 4wd, the rear tire of the machine edged up to the face of 1st boulder with the front tire in a similar position on the second, and no amount of throttle would get it to climb the face. Just bogged. Almost...but didn't quite do it. I let off and the gunned it and it finally went over. I am about 270, my buddy is about 300, and we were at around 7000 feet. No notable cargo weight.

As i said in another thread, no way should this machine not have enough power to pull itself up anything it can climb...so this pissed me quite badly.

Then....just to do the typical Honda Rincon/Big Red/Pioneer thing, it turns around and climbs a fairly steep hill....in second, fairly easy???? WTF is it with these things?
TO BE FAIR, the rock incident happened with maybe 10 miles on the clock. The hill was more like 30 miles. A short time after the hill, i faced a similar situation as the first rocks...but perhaps slightly tougher, and this time it pulled itself up and over. More broken in making the difference? Hopefully.

Also: Steering is super light while moving...but i can see why some might complain if you have to turn while stationary.
Also: This is the 3rd Pioneer that i have driven, and all of them had the steering wheel off to the left.

Pluses: NOT beat up like i would have been on my quad. Despite dealer inflated tires, the thing seems to ride great. Kinda dig the 3 speed ( most of the time ). Seems very quiet. Used very little fuel. Very comfy.

In short, i love it...assuming the thing gets enough power as it breaks in to not have the 1st rocks incident repeated. Seems to be getting much better already.

Fingers crossed! More when more happens....

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG, in response to your post on the other thread.

I had the same experience when I first bought mine I went up some stair step rocks, probably had less than 10 miles on it. It bogged and just wouldn't climb, but you get a bit of speed and let the trans lock up and it was unstoppable. I was puzzled and kinda peeved, but I had jumped in on a new model and hoped Honda reputation would not let me down in the end. I have been pulling trees and carrying 500lbs or so of water when I burn them. It had a hard breakin period. We have a fairly steep hill I have to climb from the creek when I fill the sprayer tank up with water.

I will say breaking made a huge difference, I was much happier after the first 50miles or so.

After my breaking service few weeks ago we went to a ORV park near us, rode for 30-40 miles on some trails and had to CRAWL uphill over a few boulders on a one way trail. In 4Lock it just eased over everything, in one spot I had to spin all 4 tires in 4Lock to get it over a large boulder, ( now know the Honda skid plates are getting replaced with something a bit heavier). I will say I am in the Appalachian foothills in North Central Alabama between 1000-2000 feet, so a mile or so lower than you and I am 200lbs my wife is @110. I noticed a difference partly because I wasn't being as easy on it I wasn't keeping the revs low because the oil had shavings in it and it was getting settled during breakin, but I wrote it off as just that I wasn't babying it anymore. Maybe there was more of a difference after I put fresh oil in and had the 100 mile mark, it had not been used to ride trails since the first 30-40 miles the rest work working.

It doesn't set you hair on fire its not that fast, but for trail riding and work, it does everything I have asked it to do. I could have bought a Can AM or a Rzr1000 but I needed dependability, with a bed, 4 seats, short wheelbase, a usable cargo area for more than a cooler. I have Honda cars and bikes presently and have had many a red Honda Fourwheeler and motorcycles, they may not be the fastest, neatest, with the most widgets or sparkles, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
Figured this would be the best place to say "I finally got it". After a six hour drive to the California coast, taking the kids to the beach, and waiting for the Honda store to open, i finally signed the paperwork. My trailer needs a bit of fine tuning, but I managed the 6 hour return drive. Kids are loving it and have driven it way more than I have already. Seems they are trying to get the break-in done in my tiny pasture. I will send pictures next weekend.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats! Now you can get all the accessories installed in time so you can get more for Christmas.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Ranchhand,
Congratulations on becoming a Pioneer owner. You truly were on a "Pioneering" trek to CA. and back. Glad to see your Kids enjoyed the beach and Pioneer.
On my Trailer I had to find the "sweet spot" for Pioneer position on my trailer (front to back) . Once I found the proper balance, the trailer towed much better.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
fishin2Dmax said:
On my Trailer I had to find the "sweet spot" for Pioneer position on my trailer (front to back) . Once I found the proper balance, the trailer towed much better.

What he said, a good start is the rear footwells over the trailer axle.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!