P1000 First day with P1000-5

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lots of variables on what modes to use for what. So far it seems that for light trail riding and 2 track dirt roads that Manual shift, high range, and turf mode is the smoothest with less jerking. AT mode is a little violent till you get used to it. I guess it all takes a little getting used to but it would be interesting to know what mode most people have settled on for light trail riding.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lots of variables on what modes to use for what. So far it seems that for light trail riding and 2 track dirt roads that Manual shift, high range, and turf mode is the smoothest with less jerking. AT mode is a little violent till you get used to it. I guess it all takes a little getting used to but it would be interesting to know what mode most people have settled on for light trail riding.
It takes Some getting used to. You have to get used to all the weird sounds and shifts that it makes but the mostly all go away after the first service. Light trail riding I use mt low if it's below 20 mph or so. Anything over that mt high. Automatic is fine I just like to use paddle shifters personal preference!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Our trails are really bumpy and rocky here. I use MT low 75 percent of the time. I'll use high occasionally when I don't have all my fishing gear bouncing around the bed. The engine braking is fantastic too. Probably one of my favorite features. Put it in manual and pick a gear, don't even have to touch the gas.

Reactions: Jbird
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Also I just rolled over 200 miles yesterday, did its first service at 115. The shift solenoid is way quieter, and shifting smooth as butter, can barely tell it's changing gears unless I really romp in it.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also I just rolled over 200 miles yesterday, did its first service at 115. The shift solenoid is way quieter, and shifting smooth as butter, can barely tell it's changing gears unless I really romp in it.

i need to change my oil bad. im at 200plus i think. im a bad honda owner.

also same boat. all the squeaks and clicks and things i really really really hated and was scared i was going to regret owning the machine have pretty well vanished. solinoid for shifting is nice and quiet. shifts smoothed out. squeaks went away. couldnt be happier!

now for that cab to fix itself.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Day 2 Impressions. Love it. Lots of whirring and clanking sounds that I am told will minimize after the first service. Hope that's right never expected this much racket from this expensive a toy. Noticing the seat heat issue but not too bad with no windshield. The other thing that takes a little to get used to is the size of this beast. The trails around where we live are atv trails so me and the other SxS owners up here are going to be doing some trail widening.

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Day 2 Impressions. Love it. Lots of whirring and clanking sounds that I am told will minimize after the first service. Hope that's right never expected this much racket from this expensive a toy. Noticing the seat heat issue but not too bad with no windshield. The other thing that takes a little to get used to is the size of this beast. The trails around where we live are atv trails so me and the other SxS owners up here are going to be doing some trail widening.
The clanking never goes away. You just begin to like it.

Kidding. It gets better. s***ting solinoid still clicks and stuff, but all the squeaks and little noises work themselves away. Shifting gets quieter and things settle down after about 100 miles.

Reactions: sharp and Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After several days of riding it seems that high range turf mode an manual shifting under power offers the least amount of shifting clank and the smoothest ride. I tried low range and it raises the whirring level and reminds me of the tight wound up feel of a CVT. AT mode makes the most noise and you seem to spend a lot of time in the wrong gear. Just my untrained observations.
Mostly easy trails and two track forest roads up here. Guess low range will make more sense on big hills and rougher terrain. There is some of that around here to try it on.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda's idea of automatic transmission design is a little different from my Tundra which shifts from one gear to the next so smoothly you hardly feel it. Lol. Gear shifts on my PK1-5 are like there is a little guy in the cases with a 3 pound sledge knocking it from one gear to the next.:D

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use turf mode majority of the time just trail riding. It's amazing what it'll go through.

advertisement
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 125 miles on mine now on break in oil. I have a soft top and the engine and rear pinion sounds does not bother me. I finally rode about 10 miles with the seats down last night and did not notice any other sounds. so far no rattles or squeaks. Just the occasional clang of the rear seat belts off the roll bar. will strap them down when not in use.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 125 miles on mine now on break in oil. I have a soft top and the engine and rear pinion sounds does not bother me. I finally rode about 10 miles with the seats down last night and did not notice any other sounds. so far no rattles or squeaks. Just the occasional clang of the rear seat belts off the roll bar. will strap them down when not in use.
Its good to read the owners manual. I see there is slots that will hold the un used buckles.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Turf mode 90 percent of all riding. I seem to like AT and just down shift when i think it needs to. You have to feather the throttle to prevent it from upshifting too quickly after a down shift. I love all the shifting and hold back, very cool.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run in high at almost all the time. Easing around and occasionally flooring it and I think it has learned my driving style. When I first got it seemed to shift too much and rev too high but now it "seems" to shift less and lug through. I only use the paddle shifters in high at when I want to be in a gear higher or lower than I am.

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its good to read the owners manual. I see there is slots that will hold the un used buckles.

View attachment 16745
Something else I did not know. Thanks for sharing. I have mine ziptied out of the way but still nice to learn something new

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!