P1000m5 First Ride in Alaska

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took the Pioneer out for a ride at Jim Creek today. Temperature in the parking lot was 2 deg F. The machine turned over pretty slow, but fired right up. Wife and Kids were bundled up, just in case the heater didn't cut it. Started up the machine, and let it idle while we got the kids ready to go. Wasn't long before the heater started to warm everything up. I don't have a hard mid panel, so we are heating up the complete cab. After we got going down the trail the heater kept the cab fairly warm. When I built up some speed, you could tell the heat was being sucked out the soft rear/side panels. I may invest in the hard mid panel, just so we don't have to heat up the whole cab if we don't need to. Couple squeaks I'll need to fix, but other than that it was an awesome ride. Going slow down the trail I preferred manual mode, so the tranny wasn't always trying to shift, and give the kids whiplash. Noise in the cab was so so. We could still have a decent conversation without screaming.

Looking around at the others riding wheelers and open UTV's, with full face masks on was chilling. I kept the heater on high, while I sipped from the thermos! :)

So far it is all I have hoped for. Couldn't really get on it with the kids in the cab, but I could tell it has good power. First on the wish list is a set of UHMW skids, rear LED lights (fronts were actually pretty bright, I was surprised), dual gun boot, and maybe the mid panel.

IMG 1177
IMG 1187
IMG 1188
IMG 1192
IMG 1200

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@AKTMW, how do the EVOs grip in the snow?

Like I'm really worried down here in Alabama. But last year we did get 9" in one day/night.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How the 28x10's do on front on the trails any rubbing? I'm one who chatted with you on FB about them.

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@AKTMW, how do the EVOs grip in the snow?

Like I'm really worried down here in Alabama. But last year we did get 9" in one day/night.

Snow wasn't very deep. Mostly ice, but the tires did good. Probably a smoother ride with 4 ply stockers, but I like the Blackwaters.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like them too on the p700. I ride with 5psi in them lately since I don't ride too fast and they are very smooth.

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How the 28x10's do on front on the trails any rubbing? I'm one who chatted with you on FB about them.

No rubbing at all. I stuffed the front end pretty good a couple times, and didn't get anything to rub.

I would like to get 30" tires someday, but will need a lift of some kind to fit them I think.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Leakage around the rear doors, how bad was it? Would it be ok if the temp was in the 20f range?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does leak pretty bad. I have the full soft cab. If you are going pretty slow 20F would be fine as the cab heats up from the engine heat decent. If you are going pretty fast >25mph it will be much better than no cab but you will still need to be dressed appropriately.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
It does leak pretty bad. I have the full soft cab. If you are going pretty slow 20F would be fine as the cab heats up from the engine heat decent. If you are going pretty fast >25mph it will be much better than no cab but you will still need to be dressed appropriately.
Since I have never seen a close up of how the rear panels close...is it something that could be sealed up better.
Which heater are you running? If it is the Honda one, is it pre or post heater change?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Wow I had the soft doors on my 700 and at 20F it would run you out at 30mph with a light jacket on.
I ended up with a heater valve to lower the coolant flow.

It was NICE but I had a lot of the gaps sealed with grey pipe wrap.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!