Fitting into Truck Bed

Rex Herring

Rex Herring

Apr 24, 2015
Dickinson, ND
Loaded up the Pioneer 500 to see if it fits. Has anyone else done this and any problems with the endgate being strong enough?

IMG 0634 IMG 0635

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Rex Herring

Rex Herring

Apr 24, 2015
Dickinson, ND
For now, I was going to also use a 1000lb strap on each side of the tailgate and maybe plywood under the tires from the tailgate to the front of the bed to spread out the weight a little. I won't depend on the little cables only for sure.

R

Rustell

Just because you can....doesn't mean you should. To much that can go wrong. My opinion.

Rex Herring

Rex Herring

Apr 24, 2015
Dickinson, ND
Well I gave it a try and it worked well. I had laminated two 12 inch wide 1/2 inch thick 6 ply plywood with construction adhesive and air nailed together. So it was a stiff 12 ply under the wheels full bed length. Extra 1000 lb straps on the tailgate. Strapped into the bed with 1000 lb straps on the swing arms. It never moved on a short trip to the Badlands about 35 miles from here. Did some forest service trail riding and had a blast. Beautiful day 77 degrees and sunny. The P-500 worked great with no issues.

IMG 0637

Reactions: Dp5hunter
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
That is a short bed correct?
I haven't tried yet, but was wondering. Thanks for posting!
Did it fit okay between the wheel wells? I have 8ft bed so the length should be okay.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Saw what one guy made i think it's pretty neat and smart. Don't know the info or how it hooks to the bed.

Attachments

• tail gate.jpg
    tail gate.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 926
  • tail gate 2.jpg
    tail gate 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,831
  • tail gate 3.jpg
    tail gate 3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 868
Rex Herring

Rex Herring

Apr 24, 2015
Dickinson, ND
That is a short bed correct?
I haven't tried yet, but was wondering. Thanks for posting!
Did it fit okay between the wheel wells? I have 8ft bed so the length should be okay.
Mine is the 6.5 ft bed, the wheels do fit between the wheel wells just fine.
I did use reinforcement straps on the end gate on both sides to relieve some stress on it plus bed length laminated 12 ply that's stiff. There didn't seem to be any above and beyond stress on it. All 4 corners were strapped to the suspension arms and bed of the truck. It never moved during our trip. I also have a wide ramp to reduce stress on the center of the end gate.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!