P1000 Fuel Pump not turning on...even after replacing it with a brand new one.

R

rjanzen

Aug 25, 2021
Washington State
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i was driving my 2018 1000-5 LE in the snow last week and out of the blue it just shuts off. I lifted the seat and couldn't hear the fuel pump so i assumed the pump just died (tank was full of fresh fuel). After getting it towed home, i ordered a brand new fuel pump and put it in but still nothing. I also tried a brand new battery just in case. I checked all the fuses (which were good) and swapped the fuel pump relay with one of the other functional relays (low beams) and that didn't do anything. The whole time I did a voltage test at the pump (between the green and brown wires) per the service manual and i never got any voltage so i'm assuming there's a break in the wire somewhere or something is up with the computer/PCM. I don't want to start pulling wires so i've got three questions for y'all :)
1. do you think my assessment of the situation is correct or am i missing something?
2. could i run wires directly from the fuel pump relay to the pump to see if it really is a wire issue. If that's the culprit i'm fine with pulling wire harnesses apart and rewire it.
3. Or any other suggestions?

at this point, i'm happy to take it to the shop but my local honda dealer said the soonest i can drop it off is almost 4 weeks out. I just got tracks on this thing this winter and the snow is epic right now and i want to get it back out there!

any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! here's the beast.

Honda

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
At the fuse box, the 15A FAN Brown wire is for the fuel pump.
Check for voltage on both side of this fuse with key-on.
This is a power check AFTER the relay.
Apply 12v to the brown wires at this fuse.
There should be 2 browns on one side and a red/yellow on the other side of the fuse.
Does the fuel pump prime?

Last edited:
R

rjanzen

Aug 25, 2021
Washington State
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the fuse box, the 15A FAN fuse controls this after the relay.
Check for voltage on both side of this fuse with key-on.
This is a power check AFTER the relay.
Apply 12v to the brown wires at this fuse.
There should be 2 browns on one side and a red/yellow on the other side of the fuse.
Does the fuel pump prime?
thx for the info. i checked all the fuses and they all look good. i double check them tonight. and no, it does not prime. i've tried a new pump as well with the same results

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Apply 12v to the brown wire and the pump should come on.
There are a few spots you can do this.
- At the pump.
- At the relay.
- at the 15A FAN fuse.

Another check,
Check for 12v at the relay on the Red/Blue wire. Key-on.
AND the Black/Red wire.
And check the ground on the Gray/red wire.

R

rjanzen

Aug 25, 2021
Washington State
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just wanted to follow up with this post. Turns out i had one of the 1-2 codes where the fuel injector wire/plug stopped working and that's why my fuel pump stopped working. Once i bought the replacement wire/plug and swapped out both the front and rear injector everything started working again.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!