BOX1

Go-kart repower

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Getting bored, needing a winter project so I found a small 2 seater go kart locally for $100. Right now it's just a roller, with all the parts in a box and a motor mounted. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Has suspension as well.

I have no idea what motor is on it, looks like a typical 5-10hp go kart/snowblower etc. But I have an XR80 just sitting in the barn, which moves my butt around just fine. I was thinking of adding a CVT/torque converter between the XR80 and rear axle, so it could have 5 gear "ranges" and not needing a manual clutch to get going. I'd think burning a 1/2" V-belt would be better than burning the clutch on the little 80 out.

Its just for the kids or whoever wants to fart around so I think the little 80 word be enough with the right gear reduction.

Open for ideas!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Getting bored, needing a winter project so I found a small 2 seater go kart locally for $100. Right now it's just a roller, with all the parts in a box and a motor mounted. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Has suspension as well.

I have no idea what motor is on it, looks like a typical 5-10hp go kart/snowblower etc. But I have an XR80 just sitting in the barn, which moves my butt around just fine. I was thinking of adding a CVT/torque converter between the XR80 and rear axle, so it could have 5 gear "ranges" and not needing a manual clutch to get going. I'd think burning a 1/2" V-belt would be better than burning the clutch on the little 80 out.

Its just for the kids or whoever wants to fart around so I think the little 80 word be enough with the right gear reduction.

Open for ideas!
Subscribed:) love that sort of thing

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there room for a Cummins 12v? Or a eco boost?

Seriously the are plenty of racing Briggs motors out there and all the components that go with it. You can find the on eBay etc pretty easy and make it a real screamer.

Most of them run a centrifugal clutch that drives a chain sprocket mounted to the axel. Brakes are usually a single caliper and rotor mounted to the chain sprocket.

Comes down to how fast and scary you want it.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have an old unknown 500cc air cooled 2 stroke out of a bombardier snowmobile if I want to make a screamer. Not the EcoBoost edition either.

Unfortunately the first drivers are currently 8 and 4 years old, so I'm looking for something a little easier to train with.

After looking up the gear ratios on the 80, might not be worth adding a CVT after it. 5th gear (without chain drive reduction) is 4.23:1, so getting to engagement speed of 2500 rpm will make the other gears useless.. ..

Maybe they will just learn to drive a clutch early on in life.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been there done that, converted an old electric gold cart to a predator 212cc a few years back. I just put in a simple centrifugal clutch in that one, and worked pretty good but the gearing was limited. Plus I'd like something better suited for slow speed when possible.

KIMG1768

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a GL1800A that I not using much any more! ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM, LOL.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a GL1800A that I not using much any more! ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM, LOL.
I'm willing to shoehorn it in if you're close to Massachusetts! Might have to beef the suspension up a bit though....

Brought it home yesterday, looks like an old Yerf Dog. Came with a predator 212cc bolted to the frame, another briggs and Stratton 205cc, and a box full of CVT clutch parts, centrifugal clutch or 2, chains, exhaust parts etc. The predator motor looks to be unused, I might hook that up with a clutch and see how it goes...

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well the carb was a mess, got it running right after a few good cleanings. Tried it with the centrifugal clutch first, only because it was easiest. What a dog, once fully engaged it was ok and top speed was more than needed but the clutch was clearly worn out. Needed to push off to get moving most times.

Next I started peicing together the torque converter clutch. Had to find/make some of the small parts, like key ways/spacers/retaining nuts . Got it fitted to the harbor freight motor, but found the castings on the CVT housing only allow the chain to pass through anywhere but where I wanted it to. Once I extended the engine mounting plate to the rear about a foot it cleared out nicely.
20200120 202010

We added a chain tensioner after as well. Got to try it out tonight, and I was a little surprised at how easy it gets going, even with me and my 8 year old on board at about 300 lbs. I dont know what brand the clutch is but it appears to be setup just about perfect for the little 212cc power plant. It gets up to 30mph pretty easy, need to tighten up the front end a bit before I push it any more!

Not sure if I want to abandon the XR80 motor yet, as it would rev out a lot better and overall be a blast to bang gears I think. That and, it would get rid of the belt drive. Which does work ok but a little part of me cant stand it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!