GPS/Cell tracker for your sxs

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The initial buy-in is low, they want that sweet, sweet subscription dollar. If you want the mapping and texting features, then they are OK.

I just want something that screams out to the entire world that I need help, so I went with a rescue beacon. Initial cost is a bit higher, but there are no additional fees, and it has a stronger radio that will talk to many more satellite constellations.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I went with a Garmin Inreach. I paid $420, subscription is $12.95 month. Use it for the SxS and the motorhome. Strictly for emergencies. Provides a lot of peace of mind when in remote locations without cell services.

FEFCF019 8D9F 4B9C 8D76 C4E113A9CDA8

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with a Garmin Inreach. I paid $420, subscription is $12.95 month. Use it for the SxS and the motorhome. Strictly for emergencies. Provides a lot of peace of mind when in remote locations without cell services.

View attachment 323227
I have that as well but I’m thinking more of a device that stays on the sxs and sends out an intermittent signal showing it’s location, more of a if it’s stolen look here.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone bought into this tech, is it reliable? Seems relatively inexpensive.
Oops, beat to the punch. LOL

Are you asking about theft recovery or personal tracking/recovery? I travel a lot and my Sister likes to know that I'm OK, if my track is moving, she knows everything is fine. If it stops, she knows where to send help. I use a SPOT for that function.

After having my Talon stolen (from the dealership, no less :mad:. They did replace it at no cost to me, as well they should have), I need something that lives on the buggy so the police can find it.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oops, beat to the punch. LOL

Are you asking about theft recovery or personal tracking/recovery? I travel a lot and my Sister likes to know that I'm OK, if my track is moving, she knows everything is fine. If it stops, she knows where to send help. I use a SPOT for that function.

After having my Talon stolen (from the dealership, no less :mad:. They did replace it at no cost to me, as well they should have), I need something that lives on the buggy so the police can find it.
More theft recovery, insurance is great and all but man it would be nice to point police to where you sxs is currently.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Hunting partners have all passed <> happens when your the last one.

Now have a Satellite Phone since 2016 <> min. 12mo. Searvce 1st.year $ 352.00
Now <> $482.00 min.12mo.sev.

Use it to check-in & always take traveling.

The ONE Time I NEEDED
20° Below <> 2014 P700-4 on Tracks & <> ALONE
Even the loggers left day before.
25 Miles from nearest Spotty Cell Service & 35Miles to Solid Cell service
On the way out developed Antifreeze leak <> heater Hose <> able to find & Temporary Fix.
Still needed Antifreeze & funnel to fill. Vehicle & trailer about 3 miles away & another 3 miles to nearest paved road.
Called home set Antifreeze delivery in motion , walked the 3 miles. ( Disconnected Trailer ) drove to paved road just as the delivery arrived.
Picked up the Antifreeze used tow Vhicle to return ( narrow logging road No room for miles to turn a 18ft Trailer around ) filled & had her follow back to the trailer & Home. <> 1-1/2 hours later than planed.

SAT. Phone cover 99% of Earth. ( Have called home from Germany no problem )

Ability to hike 15 miles out of the woods questionable at best <> UTV quit or <> ?????

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hunting partners have all passed <> happens when your the last one.

Now have a Satellite Phone since 2016 <> min. 12mo. Searvce 1st.year $ 352.00
Now <> $482.00 min.12mo.sev.

Use it to check-in & always take traveling.

The ONE Time I NEEDED
20° Below <> 2014 P700-4 on Tracks & <> ALONE
Even the loggers left day before.
On the way out developed Antifreeze leak <> heater Hose <> able to find & Temporary Fix.
Still needed Antifreeze & funnel to fill. Vehicle & trailer about 3 miles away.
Called home set Antifreeze delivery in motion , walked the 3 miles.
Picked up the Antifreeze used tow Vhicle to return ( narrow logging road on room for miles to turn a 18ft Trailer around ) filled & had her follow back to the trailer & Home. <> 1-1/2 hours later than planed.

SAT. Phone cover 99% of Earth. ( Have called home from Germany no problem )

Ability to hike 15 miles out of the woods questionable at best <> UTV quit or <> ?????
Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad you made it out safe.

Ive been eyeing the Garmin gadget that lets you communicate with an app on your phone. Not as handy as your SAT phone, but likely all I need.

Rob

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad you made it out safe.

Ive been eyeing the Garmin gadget that lets you communicate with an app on your phone. Not as handy as your SAT phone, but likely all I need.

Rob
I’ve been using the Garmin inreach since before they acquired delorme, it’s been a great tool while i’m out in the mountains to communicate back home.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Long distance motorcycle riders like the Iron Butt riders use SPOT trackers.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far I’m liking it and it’s been accurate, the daily report shows it is in my shop I also set up a geofence around my property and I’ll get an alert when it’s off the property.

I think the cost of the unit and annual cost is worth it, also my first unit had an issue and wasn’t working, customer service was great to deal with and sent me a new unit asap.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The location positioning is by gps satellite. How is the location reporting transmitted to you? Are they using cellular services?

Reactions: CID
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The location positioning is by gps satellite. How is the location reporting transmitted to you? Are they using cellular services?
It’s by GPS and LTE cell service. Daily reporting is shown once a day and you can check it on their website, if the device is moving you’ll get text and email alerts based on the frequency selected. If you setup a geofence you’ll get text and email alerts that it is outside of the area.

I would assume it is like many other devices, it notifies them and then they notify you through text and email. So the device isn’t directly contacting you.

Reactions: ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after 8 months of use I have to say the Trak4 has worked amazing. I was able to track where my utv was everywhere I took it. The map showed a great breadcrumb trail. If it was parked it would get you within 50ft of it.

For the minimal cost I say it is well worth getting one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!