GPS. Trail Maps......What Do I Want/Need?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the deal. I'm currently using the Polaris Ride Command App. The trial version. It's seems to work well for me, I'm using it in a Nat'l Forrest (Ocala), but I want more. I would like to have something that will give me the GPS coordinates so if something does go wrong and I have to call for help I'll have that info. I'd like something a little more GPS based for ease of use. I think I want to be able to use it anywhere, again ease of use is important. Portable, I want to use with a dash mount but also maybe be able to carry it in your hand for say hiking. I want to be able to track my routes to find my way back to the trailhead the same way I came in. And also to save and find the same route for future use. I want to be able to mark waypoints along the route. I'd like to be able to download the routes and maybe print them out or send to someone else to use or view. And last I want it to be free. No really, what do ya'll have in mind? Thanks. .....Oh and I get where it probably will be a unit like a GPS and not just an App. for the iPhone. Or will it?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here's the deal. I'm currently using the Polaris Ride Command App. The trial version. It's seems to work well for me, I'm using it in a Nat'l Forrest (Ocala), but I want more. I would like to have something that will give me the GPS coordinates so if something does go wrong and I have to call for help I'll have that info. I'd like something a little more GPS based for ease of use. I think I want to be able to use it anywhere, again ease of use is important. Portable, I want to use with a dash mount but also maybe be able to carry it in your hand for say hiking. I want to be able to track my routes to find my way back to the trailhead the same way I came in. And also to save and find the same route for future use. I want to be able to mark waypoints along the route. I'd like to be able to download the routes and maybe print them out or send to someone else to use or view. And last I want it to be free. No really, what do ya'll have in mind? Thanks. .....Oh and I get where it probably will be a unit like a GPS and not just an App. for the iPhone. Or will it?

Sounds like you need a Garmin. I had a Montana 610 that I just sold. Had a locking powered cradle with a RAM mount for the dash. Does everything you're asking for.

Reactions: Isaiah and nitzo
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You are asking for a lot for free.
Truth is the players are in it for the money. Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan, the list goes on.
There are a lot of threads on this forum about GPS's and trail maps. Every one has pluses and minuses.
Few people will swear they have the perfect set-up. Many like what they do have. Some are like you, just getting by.

I want the Garmin Overlander. It is not cheap, but it does everything you mentioned above. Even the maps cost money.

Search the forums for "GPS" and read what everyone has to say.

Reactions: Mudwing
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Well a free option for Android devices especially Samsung phones is the Orux maps app. For iOS I hear people talk about Avenza app.
There has been a funny thing in the past with Apple devices wanting to use "location based services " by default instead of the actual gps chip, meaning lose both wifi and cellular the location can be far less accurate. Not sure if this still applies with the latest devices but was still true last year.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Lots of information about the Oruxmaps option here:

Reactions: TripleB
M

mjleblanc

Sep 23, 2019
Camas, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just M2C,

I have the Garmin Overlander unit. I put the mount on the dash and it clips strongly in place via magnets. VERY capable unit. It has all the usual bells and whistles for GPS nav, tracking, inclination, paths and routes, installable maps etc. Where it differs is that it also connects to GLONASS and Galileo navigation satellite systems. Meaning if GPS fails, you are still good to go.It will also Bluetooth sync with your smartphone for calls and music, as well as up to 4 backup cameras.

It also gives you an environmental thumbnail with the included barometer, altimeter and compass tools, as well as roll and pitch indicators.

I built my P1k5 for hunting and overlanding, the Garmin is the best unit I've ever owned, and I've had plenty of duds over the years.

Highly recommended.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried a lot of the Apps and what i find out is that a lot of what you use is going to be based on the area you want to ride.
  • TN - Lifetime trail maps has the best turn key solution but $$$
  • AR - We have to use a combination of Gaia gps, Mapletts and Avensa
    • each of our areas seem to have a map available on one but not the other
  • FL - not familiar with that area to tell you what has most of your trails mapped
No matter which way you decide to go I would recommend finding an app that you can master and then go ahead and start tracking yourself.. I have found Gaia gps and back country navigator the best to learn to work with... Gaia works with both apple and Android

For your requirements as I read them
  • Something that will give me the GPS coordinates Gaia gps will do
  • Portable - Gaia gps will do and you can run on Phone, tablet and computer
  • track my routes to find my way back to the trailhead the same way I came i Gaia gps will do
  • save and find the same route for future use gaia gps will do
  • mark waypoints along the route Gaia
  • download the routes and maybe print them out or send to someone else Gaia is the only one that I know of that will let you print out easy and it is by far the easiest to share

Here are some Video's that show you what you can do with Gaia gps

Outdoor Navigation Series - YouTube

They have a free version and a 2 different levels of yearly membership that give you advance functions so you can always try for free or use this code for a discount
https://www.gaiagps.com/lifestyleover...

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I said "free", I was joking, I understand I'm going to have to pay for what I want. Thanks for the advice tho.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!