P500 Grandson debacle

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Started p500 and putzed about 300 feet and it stalled. Restarted and traveled about 20 feet and stalled again and wouldn't start. I walk back to where I started and see an empty 1/2 gallon orange juice container. Go check the gas cap and sure enough it was loose and had some orange gunk on it. So 5 year old fessed up to helping me fill tank. Gotta love those grandkids! What do you suggest I do now. Can't find the darn owners manual and don't have a clue where fuel filter is or how to drain tank. Suggestions?

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If it helps, when I was about 5 my dad was changing the spark plugs on his lawn mower. I put a few nails down to “help” him out while he wasn’t looking.

He fixed it by getting a new lawn mower. o_O

Hopefully someone more helpful than me will be also good shortly.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
A re enactment pic would go viral. I did not see a fuel filter in the shop manual, yet. Maybe siphon out all the fuel and try a new tank, maybe with Lucus or Seafoam fuel cleaner. Suggest becoming a Supporting member and get access to shop resources and manuals.

Thanks for the heads up, 6 month grandson growing bigger each day.

7DDC3DA3 42EE 4FB4 86FA A100C38AF762

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The filter is built in to the pump (both are inside the gas tank).

Siphon the gas out, as much as you can.
Add some Heet or similar stuff for water in the tank and fill the tank.
It may take several rounds of starting / stalling to clear it out.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
If it was orange juice with pulp you are going to need to pull the full pump and clean the screen, then probably change the fuel pump. It might not hurt to remove the fuel line from the throttle body after you get everything cleaned out and hit the key a few times to clean out the fuel lines.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon pump is almost visible from the filler, with a little light you should be able to see if you got all the pulp out (if it had pulp). I agree that it's probably a good idea to remove the pump and clean the filter. Note on some tanks, the pump sits in a small sump in the tank bottom, make sure to get everything out of it.

This isn't a stock Talon tank, the inner, plastic filler tube has been removed but you should be able to see in the tank anyway.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Red is the fastest color but apparently OJ is not a good gasoline additive. Sorry about your troubles. I’d pull the tank and the pump. Clean everything up. Bench test the pump to see if it’ll run fuel through it. If it does then reassemble otherwise replace it. Reassemble everything and hopefully it doesn’t cost you an injector as well.

Thanks for sharing the story though. Good thing kids are cute or times like these would be a lot harder to swallow.

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
If it helps, when I was about 5 my dad was changing the spark plugs on his lawn mower. I put a few nails down to “help” him out while he wasn’t looking.

He fixed it by getting a new lawn mower. o_O

Hopefully someone more helpful than me will be also good shortly.
Nope.
Not much help. But ironically perhaps the little renegades dad did the same with nails in my power washer years ago.

advertisement
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
As long as he ‘helps’ with all the work, it will a. Give him something to funny to talk about years from now when to pass and he gives the eulogy b. Introduce him to working on motor vehicles, c. teach him a life lesson that you need to fix your mistakes, and d. that a Grandpa’s love is unconditional and infinite.

Sorry I can’t help. I’d pull the tank and clean everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm assuming to access fuel pump I go from bottom up. Like removing skid plate?
I think it’s under the panels under the passenger side of the seat. That’s where I picked up the vent lines to extend them. If I recall it looked like that is where you would pull it from but it has been a few years.

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Got her running again! A real PIA pulling fuel pump because the $20 wrench I bought was useless.I seen videos where the access was easy on the 1000's but not so on the 500. A frame member is above the pump so tank removal is a must and then used the end of a 3/8 drive extension to tap the locking ring loose. Unhooking fuel line from pump and engine was a hassle. I think there must be some special tool for that. Siphoned gas into glass jar to see what I had in there, ugh!. Tearing the pump apart to get to filter is like a five handed job. Anyway she's running like a champ once again.IMG 1668IMG 1671IMG 1670IMG 1665IMG 1672

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got her running again! A real PIA pulling fuel pump because the $20 wrench I bought was useless.I seen videos where the access was easy on the 1000's but not so on the 500. A frame member is above the pump so tank removal is a must and then used the end of a 3/8 drive extension to tap the locking ring loose. Unhooking fuel line from pump and engine was a hassle. I think there must be some special tool for that. Siphoned gas into glass jar to see what I had in there, ugh!. Tearing the pump apart to get to filter is like a five handed job. Anyway she's running like a champ once again.View attachment 290264View attachment 290265View attachment 290266View attachment 290267View attachment 290268
Hory sheet! I’m glad you got it fixed up. Someone needs a no pulp sticker next to his fuel filler neck now. 😂🤣

advertisement