Gulches

B

BHF

Mar 18, 2024
Colorado Springs CO
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Went for a little ride Sunday.
We took the Talon and a RZR for a ride to what's locally known as the "Gulches" up near Divide CO. Hackets, Longwater, and Metberry gulch trails start out near Divide and each meanders down probably at least 1000 feet if not more to the South Platte river. all of them have some VERY steep sections and a few rocky bits and lots of sand and decomposed granite.
We started out with Hackets. It roller coasters down from the main road pretty easily. Then takes a turn for the worst over some pretty technical rocks. It's gotten a lot rougher since I had been there 20 years ago. Once over the rocks it goes through a saddle back and then up to a small peak. From there you go down. Seriously down. Steep and sandy down. Until you reach the river. The Talon had no issues with the foot or so of water on the crossing.
Beautiful scenery and a great lunch spot. The 2 grandsons had a ball running around in the shallow split in the river. After lunch we headed along the trail downstream to Longwater. We had a tributary to cross before we got to the Longwater crossing. A little deeper, but still not too bad. The third and final crossing was shall we say a bit deeper. We had a volunteer wade across to check it out. It was waist deep a one point. We foolishly crossed anyway. Water was lapping over the hood for a little bit.
I used to blast up Longwater back in the day on a dirt bike. It's a long curvy uphill just made for WOT attacks. We went up a little less courageously than I used to, but still motored right along.
Metberry was an in and out ride where we had to turn around at the bottom and come back the same way we went in. Typical trail for the area except for a couple of 45 degree ledges where you skid at near lock up going down and approach wheel spin coming back. I was VERY impressed with the Talon's climbing ability on these as well. Low range 4 wheel drive and it went up with no drama what so ever.
We had a great ride with no issues and really let me scope out what the Talon can do. I'm totally confident the Talon will handle our trip to SW Colorado at the end of the month for the Alpine Loop and other passes. Maybe even Black Bear pass.
I'll post links to some video if I can get them sorted in the near future.
IMG 3334
IMG 3336
IMG 3338

B

BHF

Mar 18, 2024
Colorado Springs CO
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I threw some clips from the GoPro together to share with family. They are raw and just thrown together. Mostly the interesting bits of going up or down the steep rocks or the water crossings. The family banter between us is left in where we are just joking back and for the or talking about past trips to the area. It was a really fun day.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've ridden Met and Longwater gulches multiple times but haven't completed Hackett Gulch, stopped at that step-up in the trees after the approaching granite slabs (about 2 miles in from Cedar Mtn. Rd.). You didn't show it in the video.

Are you snorkeled? That area can be yugely dusty, :oops: as you know. My oiled foam UNI doesn't take long to fill up when I've been riding there and I'm almost always solo.

What's that sticking up in the back of the buggy at 14+ minutes and how does he keep from snagging it in a tree during the day?

B

BHF

Mar 18, 2024
Colorado Springs CO
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've ridden Met and Longwater gulches multiple times but haven't completed Hackett Gulch, stopped at that step-up in the trees after the approaching granite slabs (about 2 miles in from Cedar Mtn. Rd.). You didn't show it in the video.

Are you snorkeled? That area can be yugely dusty, :oops: as you know. My oiled foam UNI doesn't take long to fill up when I've been riding there and I'm almost always solo.

What's that sticking up in the back of the buggy at 14+ minutes and how does he keep from snagging it in a tree during the day?
Yes it was incredibly dusty. I've got the 10-80 pre-filter on it that also raises the intake.
The Talon handled everything we ran into. The rock steps on Hackets were no problem. I used to run these gulches on my XR650R years ago and they have gotten a lot rougher. The RZR had more traction issues and had to check his belt case for water after each crossing. He did have more ground clearance though. You can see he cleared the rock ledge that we tested the skid plates on both coming and going on Metberry. The thing he is carrying is a hitch mount shelf that someone lost and he salvaged off the trail.