Heaters

Luckybeer

Luckybeer

Nov 20, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does the Honda heater work? What would you recommend? I live up in Fort St. John, B.C. It gets quite cold and winter is a good 8 months. We still have 2+ feet of snow.. Any help or recommendations would be great. I just want something that will actually work well. Thanks for your time

Reactions: Biteme
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the Honda heater work? What would you recommend? I live up in Fort St. John, B.C. It gets quite cold and winter is a good 8 months. We still have 2+ feet of snow.. Any help or recommendations would be great. I just want something that will actually work well. Thanks for your time
It does, but most go aftermarket. I have an inferno aftermarket in my P1k5 and it works pretty good. However, you need to plan on blocking about 50% of the front radiator in order to get really good heat, and to get the engine oil hot enough to burn off moisture in the really cold temperatures.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have an Inferno heater also. Pioneer 1000-3. It works well but . . . .

I've observed two issues that make it hard to get the dab truly warm.

First is the relatively small 1000cc engine doesn't generate the volume of heat we're accustomed to in a modern car or truck.

Second, even with good warm air blowing the Pioneer cabs are not designed for cold weather. I have a Honda hard roof, Honda hard rear cab panel, and fabric upper door panels. At speeds above a crawl cold air flows in over the top of the windshield. The windshield does not fit snugly up under the front of the roof. Cold air flows in around the oem doors. The fabric accessory panels fit snugly and block air intrusion but the lower standard doors have wide gaps and no seals. I added automotive rubber door gaskets around the front portion to block most air but still don't have a tight seal. Cold air also flows in through the shifter plate. The wide slots that allow the shift lever and transfer case lever to slide from position to position allow lots of cold air in.

Larry;'s aftermarket shifter plate attempts to fix that with a rubber gasket.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500

I have a p500, I have the soft doors, the Bimini top forms good around the windshield and back panel, this keeps 95% of the wind out, for heat I use a Milwaukee heated jacket and it works better than any heater would for a p500, snow pants and good boots and your good to go

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have an Inferno heater also. Pioneer 1000-3. It works well but . . . .

I've observed two issues that make it hard to get the dab truly warm.

First is the relatively small 1000cc engine doesn't generate the volume of heat we're accustomed to in a modern car or truck.

Second, even with good warm air blowing the Pioneer cabs are not designed for cold weather. I have a Honda hard roof, Honda hard rear cab panel, and fabric upper door panels. At speeds above a crawl cold air flows in over the top of the windshield. The windshield does not fit snugly up under the front of the roof. Cold air flows in around the oem doors. The fabric accessory panels fit snugly and block air intrusion but the lower standard doors have wide gaps and no seals. I added automotive rubber door gaskets around the front portion to block most air but still don't have a tight seal. Cold air also flows in through the shifter plate. The wide slots that allow the shift lever and transfer case lever to slide from position to position allow lots of cold air in.

Larry;'s aftermarket shifter plate attempts to fix that with a rubber gasket.
I never figured a heater on a drafty SXS would perform like a heater in an automobile. I’d love to put one in my Talon if I could depend on it to make the very cold rides a little more comfortable. If it doesn’t even do that then I’d be pissed after the expense and trouble to install one. But if it brings a level of relief from the bitter cold, I’d be pleased....🤔

Reactions: Luckybeer
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I don’t have one in my Talon yet as I haven’t invested in full doors. For past machines the inferno has worked great. If you have a warm summer I would recommend adding bypass valves for the the heater core. It will add unwanted heat in the summer months if not. I modded the last one to position the the vents different from the instructions so they were blowing more directly on my feet and to a single defrost for the front window. Also important to have the straightest hose routing.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don’t have one in my Talon yet as I haven’t invested in full doors. For past machines the inferno has worked great. If you have a warm summer I would recommend adding bypass valves for the the heater core. It will add unwanted heat in the summer months if not. I modded the last one to position the the vents different from the instructions so they were blowing more directly on my feet and to a single defrost for the front window. Also important to have the straightest hose routing.
Very valuable information...👍

Luckybeer

Luckybeer

Nov 20, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a p500, I have the soft doors, the Bimini top forms good around the windshield and back panel, this keeps 95% of the wind out, for heat I use a Milwaukee heated jacket and it works better than any heater would for a p500, snow pants and good boots and your good to go
Ya that works.. But those Milwaukee jackets arent designed for Canadian winters -40+ is routine, not including wind chill which will can easily put her down to -60. You dont even shut off any equipment including a SxS in that temp. It may not start again. We are bundled up.. have wind blocked quiet well also. Just looking for something to add alittle more help with the warmth, like a heater of some kind. One that works. Thanks for your response. Cheers

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I never figured a heater on a drafty SXS would perform like a heater in an automobile. I’d love to put one in my Talon if I could depend on it to make the very cold rides a little more comfortable. If it doesn’t even do that then I’d be pissed after the expense and trouble to install one. But if it brings a level of relief from the bitter cold, I’d be pleased....🤔
Your expectation is very reasonable. The Inferno will satisfy you.

Most buyers choose the Inferno because Honda requires the consumer to purchase an expensive heater and an expensive switch and switch panel to go with it. I think Honda's heater is priced at about $1200 and the Inferno was $400. The Inferno is very similar to the Honda oem, installs under the driver's seat, has ducts that supply hot air to the lower dash but can be turned up toward the windshield, and two floor ducts as well. Most buyers seem to choose the Inferno from an aftermarket vendor. Even pars department at my dealer sells and recommends the Inferno.

Last edited:
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Ya that works.. But those Milwaukee jackets arent designed for Canadian winters -40+ is routine, not including wind chill which will can easily put her down to -60. You dont even shut off any equipment including a SxS in that temp. It may not start again. We are bundled up.. have wind blocked quiet well also. Just looking for something to add alittle more help with the warmth, like a heater of some kind. One that works. Thanks for your response. Cheers

at those temps I’d get both...Milwaukee also has a heated vest you can wear under a winter jacket

advertisement