P700 Honda roof vs rain

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone else absolutely hate the way the factory Honda roofs are designed? I live in Florida and we get lots of rain and the roof channels the rain right onto the dash and right onto my legs. I can be 99% dry everywhere else but my legs and feet because of the water coming off the roof onto the dash and splashing on my legs. Has anyone come up with a gutter or a deflector or something that channels the rain away? I don't want to run a windshield because I mostly just putt around and with no airflow in 100° summer heat is not going to be good LOL

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Does anyone else absolutely hate the way the factory Honda roofs are designed? I live in Florida and we get lots of rain and the roof channels the rain right onto the dash and right onto my legs. I can be 99% dry everywhere else but my legs and feet because of the water coming off the roof onto the dash and splashing on my legs. Has anyone come up with a gutter or a deflector or something that channels the rain away? I don't want to run a windshield because I mostly just putt around and with no airflow in 100° summer heat is not going to be good LOL
My wife had the full windshield on her 700-4 that popped open and forward and it deflected the water and offered a little wind to come through. I am also from the sh!thole state of Fl. and know what you mean about hot, sticky, summertime weather. Her P1000-5 is considerably worse with holding water on the roof. Ive almost thought I should drill holes in the roof at the low points and epoxy little nipples into the holes facing down and run vent lines down the rollcage tubing to drain water its so bad. She doesnt want a full windshield either. Ive just gotten used to grabbing a towel and draping it over the front rollcage bar in front of me and running it down to the hood where the water runs off the roof and absorbs into the towel and runs down to the hood. I do this if we're camping and it rained during the night and I fire it up to move it in the morning. I swear the P1000-5 roof holds 2 gallons of water up there. A failed design for sure. Let us know what you come up with if you think of something. Good luck!

Reactions: Robobrainiac
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And when its not raining, they'll save about a gallon as a surprise for later. 😁

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's one of those little things that makes me question if the designers ever actually use what they have made?.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon has a gutter across the front edge of the roof that works pretty good, that could be added fairly easily. The only problem is that it routes the water to the front corners which then tries to drip down on my left knee and thigh but that's better than the entire width of the roof. I might extend the gutter out an inch or two to get the water outside the body - RVs have an add on that does the same thing for their gutter run offs. Closing the window net might help keep the water running down the net instead of coming inside too (the Talon's nets have pretty small openings so not as open as a tennis net for instance).

Reactions: DG Rider
B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was actually thinking of ripping some PVC pipe in half and making my own gutter across the front and channeling it out and down the roll bar.

Reactions: CID
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Talon has a gutter across the front edge of the roof that works pretty good, that could be added fairly easily. The only problem is that it routes the water to the front corners which then tries to drip down on my left knee and thigh but that's better than the entire width of the roof. I might extend the gutter out an inch or two to get the water outside the body - RVs have an add on that does the same thing for their gutter run offs. Closing the window net might help keep the water running down the net instead of coming inside too (the Talon's nets have pretty small openings so not as open as a tennis net for instance).
That's good (about the gutter). Good they seem to be learning.

Reactions: CID
Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
My wife had the full windshield on her 700-4 that popped open and forward and it deflected the water and offered a little wind to come through. I am also from the sh!thole state of Fl. and know what you mean about hot, sticky, summertime weather. Her P1000-5 is considerably worse with holding water on the roof. Ive almost thought I should drill holes in the roof at the low points and epoxy little nipples into the holes facing down and run vent lines down the rollcage tubing to drain water its so bad. She doesnt want a full windshield either. Ive just gotten used to grabbing a towel and draping it over the front rollcage bar in front of me and running it down to the hood where the water runs off the roof and absorbs into the towel and runs down to the hood. I do this if we're camping and it rained during the night and I fire it up to move it in the morning. I swear the P1000-5 roof holds 2 gallons of water up there. A failed design for sure. Let us know what you come up with if you think of something. Good luck!
Great idea with the nipple drains I thought of something like that too. Much worse up here in pa, water is cold in the winter...lol

Reactions: Bastardchild
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I put my short windshield back on, II'll do the drain thing. Without the drain I would park it nose down as far as possible.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
We frequently went to Raystown Lake to escape MD...hated to go back to MD but was gainfully employed there...took almost 40 years to escape for good.

I am thinking the gutter idea is worth pursuing. I wonder if adhesives will stick to that roof material? I tried a stick on US flag on the tail gate and it fell off in a couple days....good for getting mud off though. Is the Talon gutter a separate piece or molded into the roof?

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
We frequently went to Raystown Lake to escape MD...hated to go back to MD but was gainfully employed there...took almost 40 years to escape for good.

I am thinking the gutter idea is worth pursuing. I wonder if adhesives will stick to that roof material? I tried a stick on US flag on the tail gate and it fell off in a couple days....good for getting mud off though. Is the Talon gutter a separate piece or molded into the roof?
The Talon gutter is a part of the roof, they bent the leading edge up (or molded it that way).

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
My roof extends several inches in front of the windshield and looks like the water would come off the roof and hit the mid point when sitting. Underway should blow the water into the windshield and then some water probably would blow into the cab...how much...dunno. Rain suits needs to be in the storage box. on the back of the roof Iguess it will get sucked into the cab without a back window...guess I need to get busy!!

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I like a roof for Sun and rain in fl. I have a full oem windshield. I open from bottom for air flow works well, glad I have. In heavy rain just drop windshield.

R

RKwate

Jun 7, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This is how I solved the problem on my 2021 Talon.

Rain Gutters 1 Rain Gutters 2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!