Hurricane Irma overheating

JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just bought my 1000-5 has about 40 hours all trail riding stop n go type stuff. I'm pretty upset, hurricane Irma came through south Florida a few days ago (just got my phone working again) eye went directly over me as a cat 3, anyways took the machine out for some search and rescue and the damn thing overheated on me on a 2 mile ride to my fathers house. After allowing it to cool I rode for an additional 4 to 6 miles pulling trees and helping ppl from homes it never ran hot again. Was this just a radiator burp or possible problem, when I needed this thing most it failed on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The radiator fins clog up with sand and mud easily making them overheat but not as quickly as you described. If riding in a lot of clean water up to about headlights can rinse it out if no hose is handy.

Us that deal with a lot of trail mud rinse the radiator out after each long ride, even daily if necessary. Even clogged it only get hot on long climbs.

Not sure what happened to yours if it was only once.

Reactions: moparornocar
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No mod at just sheet flow water maybe 4" was taking it easy just putting along the street to my fathers house (2 miles from me) to observe damage and it overheated light came on so I stopped it took about 25 min to cool off went crack to my house dropped him off and rode an additional 5+ miles with idling while hooking winch up and riding never overheated once I checked the fluid it was right to the rim.....super weird just pissed my dads first ride and we were in need which is why I bought it and it over heats .......embarrassing to say the least

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No mod at just sheet flow water maybe 4" was taking it easy just putting along the street to my fathers house (2 miles from me) to observe damage and it overheated light came on so I stopped it took about 25 min to cool off went crack to my house dropped him off and rode an additional 5+ miles with idling while hooking winch up and riding never overheated once I checked the fluid it was right to the rim.....super weird just pissed my dads first ride and we were in need which is why I bought it and it over heats .......embarrassing to say the least

Your Pioneer must be a Jimmy Johnson fan, he's used to embarrassing Jr. :D:D I kid, I kid, it's probably just an air bubble. Take him for another ride and show him how awesome your Pioneer is.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sounds like air bubble in the cooling system.

Elevate the front end at least 18" while engine is cool, remove the cap start it up and let it warm up. Keep coolant ready and as the level drops add coolant.

Had to do it on my 700 after I added the heater. Several other members have had same issue on a new machine and "burped" the system, then never had an issue later.

Sucks it happened when it did.

JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it was odd I've put 25 mile trips on it with the family never an issue then in an emergency she hiccups and overheats I had a feeling it was a burping issue being I heard about if before but never knew how to do it so thank you for that info also what fluid does it take it looks blue

Reactions: sharp and swsebek
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The antifreeze is blue you can get it at any auto parts store for Honda vehicle's or from your local dealer ship

Reactions: sharp
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Raise the front up a good bit and take the cap off and let it run mine did ok till in the mountains then overheated just burp the air oit and should be all good. If you need help in in eustis fl and can help

JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Raise the front up a good bit and take the cap off and let it run mine did ok till in the mountains then overheated just burp the air oit and should be all good. If you need help in in eustis fl and can help

Thank you I will try that tomorrow

Reactions: sharp
advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like air bubble in the cooling system.

Elevate the front end at least 18" while engine is cool, remove the cap start it up and let it warm up. Keep coolant ready and as the level drops add coolant.

Had to do it on my 700 after I added the heater. Several other members have had same issue on a new machine and "burped" the system, then never had an issue later.

Sucks it happened when it did.
And then call your dealer and ream him a new one because these are shipped dry. That's supposed to be properly filled and burped during set-up for delivery by your dealer. In fact... check every fluid level, nut, bolt, screw, clamp, and other fastener that you can possibly find and tighten it to spec. And fix your alignment!!! $100.00 to $1.00 bet it's waaaay off! These things should come from Honda with a warning of "Some assembly required".

Last edited:
R

RickM

Jan 19, 2017
Moved from Chelsea, AL, to Bigfork, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And then call your dealer and ream him a new one because these are shipped dry. That's supposed to be properly filled and burped during set-up for delivery by your dealer. In fact... check every fluid level, nut, bolt, screw, clamp, and other fastener that you can possibly find and tighten it to spec. And fix your alignment!!! $100.00 to $1.00 bet it's waaaay off! These things should come from Honda with a warning of "Some assembly required".
I agree that one of the first things you should do is to carry your NEW Honda to an alignment shop. In less than 250 miles one of my front tires was 50% worn out. That's when I realized the alignment was out. Also, handling was terrible and even dangerous. Took it to a local alignment shop ($55.00) and they fixed it. Told me it was out of toe by 3". 2" on one side and 1" on the other. My dealer told me that Honda doesn't warranty alignment and apparently makes no effort to check the alignment. I expected more from Honda.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree that one of the first things you should do is to carry your NEW Honda to an alignment shop. In less than 250 miles one of my front tires was 50% worn out. That's when I realized the alignment was out. Also, handling was terrible and even dangerous. Took it to a local alignment shop ($55.00) and they fixed it. Told me it was out of toe by 3". 2" on one side and 1" on the other. My dealer told me that Honda doesn't warranty alignment and apparently makes no effort to check the alignment. I expected more from Honda.
Yup. Ruined my front tires the first day of driving. Not pleased. (why do they DO that???) Another brand of SXS that I had before my Honda had an extensive checklist that was given to the buyer with everything imaginable listed and checked off by the dealer. It's a 100% sure way that your dealer has gone through every step of final delivery prep. After a whole lotta pieces falling off, I realized this unit is only partially and loosely assembled from Honda. The dealer needs to finalize assembly and check torque specs on every nut and bolt. Maybe there's a disconnect between Honda and their dealers but I've never seen a machine (truck, car, lawnmower, wheelbarrow) that needed so much corrective action after delivery. I've owned and constantly repaired my P1K for 10 months and after every ride, I still feel the need to check and see if more pieces have fallen off!

Last edited:
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update on this issue but I followed the recommendations elevated the front end using my winch and tree and ran the engine with cap off. I poured about a half gallon of fluid in the radiator. So thank you all for the help haven’t had an issue since.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No problem mine worked awsome went to tenn drug a pioneer over and down the mountain didnt over heat riding a little ways on the trails after overheated after that burped it no further problems except for when cloged with mud

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!