In theory.

J

Jshell3

So perusing Amazon, typing words like "Pioneer Accessories" is soooo Pre-Takeover.

Post Takeover, I've awaken to what a mod should do. I'm a better judge of its usefulness, now.

Do you really "need" a skid plate?
The short answer. Oh hell yes!!!

I'm not a guy who enjoys tearing stuff up, but I'm glad my Skids took the beating.

Over the weekend, I took the path most traveled by...(in the literal sense...)
Pictures of rollovers??? Those guys took the least. Ha!

On the easy trails, I clung to my steering wheel and prayed to the seatbelt gods...!

A 3 foot deep rut and the ledge you'll need to run is a game of inches.
I went through the trenches this weekend. You should be jealous!

The guys you see bending A Arms didn't have to try very hard. It's a "one wrong turn" snap decision that pins you to the top of a mountain. (Pre-Takeover, I thought there was a "hold my beer" moment going down. But post Takeover, I see how I was wrong)

So back to my main point...
You want to attend a Takeover... you think you'll be delighted at having extra cup holders for Pioneer for the weekend? You won't.
You'll be delighted that you prepared like a crazed dooms-dayer. In fact, you'll need to prepare for the unexpected just so to not look like an idiot. (I'm raising my own hand, over here)

Who carries a spare tire? Cross the right (or wrong) riverbed... you'll be looking seriously at spare tire mounts.

Best riding weekend of my life. I've never rode trails like that.

I broke something. And I'm replacing it with experience.

I KNOW what I got to do...
Not in theory, either!

Last edited by a moderator:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I really hate we didn't meet. Sorry about the issues you had.

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

J

Jshell3

I'd like to offer a counter-point to my doomsday post up top...

My 64yo dad and mom took a STOCK P500 down the same trails, I did. We rode them together.

Not a scratch. No damage, at all.
There were pucker moments, but that dang P500 has advantages, and apparently driving style can't be under estimated!

So, yeah. He's not even looking for any Mods to do.
And you should see the smiles on their faces and hear the way they talk about experiences had this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

My 64yo dad and mom took a STOCK P500 down the same trails, I did. We rode them together.

There were pucker moments, but that dang P500 has advantages, and apparently driving style can't be under estimated!

So, yeah. He's not looking at Mods to do.
And you should see the smiles on their faces... you should hear the way they're talking about the fun they had this weekend.
Heck ya... Your dad on the 500...
Once the Miss's got warmed up it was like a GO button. He was on it. I was impressed with all the 500's this weekend.

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So, yeah. He's not even looking for any Mods to do.
And you should see the smiles on their faces and hear the way they talk about experiences had this weekend.
It was impressive watching them go down the trails, there was a few times that were a close call but he corrected perfectly. Driving experience and knowing your machine will get you farther than any mod you can do. I enjoyed getting to ride with your family and your parents, they are great people. I know for a fact your dad had a blast, he was sitting on the porch early every morning watching the rigs go by with a big smile on his face. Lol

J

Jshell3

It was impressive watching them go down the trails, there was a few times that were a close call but he corrected perfectly. Driving experience and knowing your machine will get you farther than any mod you can do. I enjoyed getting to ride with your family and your parents, they are great people. I know for a fact your dad had a blast, he was sitting on the porch early every morning watching the rigs go by with a big smile on his face. Lol
Hey man. Thanks!
You had a really good experience in the OTHER direction, age wise...

Your daughter's ride along was so sweet.

We're glad to have met you, too!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So perusing Amazon, typing words like "Pioneer Accessories" is so Pre-Takeover.

Post Takeover, I've awaken to what a mod should do. I'm a better judge of its usefulness, now.

Do you really "need" a skid plate?
The short answer. Oh hell yes!!!

I'm not a guy who enjoys tearing stuff up, but I'm glad my Skids took the beating.

Over the weekend, I took the path most traveled by...(in the literal sense...)
Pictures of rollovers??? Those guys took the least. Ha!

On the easy trails, I clung to my steering wheel and prayed to the seatbelt gods...!

A 3 foot deep rut and the ledge you'll need to run is a game of inches.
I went through the trenches this weekend. You should be jealous!

Guys you see bending A Arms didn't have to try very hard. It's a "one wrong turn" snap decision that pins you to the top of a mountain. (Pre-Takeover, I thought there was a "hold my beer" moment going down. But I see now, I was wrong)

So let me get back to my main point...
You want to attend a Takeover... you think you'll be delighted at having extra cup holders for Pioneer for the weekend? You won't.
You'll be delighted that you prepared like a crazy doomsayer. In fact, you'll need to prepare for the unexpected just so to not look like an idiot. (I'm raising my own hand, over here)

Who carries a spare tire? Cross the right (or wrong) riverbed... you'll be looking seriously at spare tire mounts.

Best riding weekend of my life. I've never rode trails like that.

I broke something. And I'm replacing it with experience.

Now I KNOW what I got to do to fix it!

Not in theory, either!
That is the right way, when I go out and ride I note down anything that I need to remember to bring next time that would have made the trip better or tools that would have been nice to have. I am also removing things that I thought would be great to have that I don't ever seem to need. I also find it beneficial to see how people "Trail Fix" somethings to get them back to the trail head - there is an artform to some of them lol .

Appreciate your thread on this

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Heck ya... Your dad on the 500...
Once the Miss's got warmed up it was like a GO button. He was on it. I was impressed with all the 500's this weekend.
They did awesome after that first pucker moment. Its really cool to see that oh $#it moment, and then the we can do this faces.
Got to say it was special to Pam and I to see 3 generations of you family enjoying the trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I tried; but that tree was a little big for my saw, i might of well of had a spoon .but i gave it hell.
You just got it started for them! It was worth the 5 bucks to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3 and sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a local guy that guides there. He has like 30,000 miles on his honda atv carries extra gas in 2 liter bottles. Can you imagine trying to follow that guy! Picking lines is so important but sometimes impossible to get it right. Experience is the best. But when you "doomsday" mod it and have the experience you can do almost anything.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
They did awesome after that first pucker moment. Its really cool to see that oh $#it moment, and then the we can do this faces.
Got to say it was special to Pam and I to see 3 generations of you family enjoying the trails.

@Tramguage1 I followed @Jshell3 's dad most of the day Friday.
He had no problem picking a line.
All I had to do was keep up so I could see what line he took.

For the night ride Friday I was following @Jshell3 and dropped two wheels in to the Grand Canyon.
I think three guys drove right over the top of the P500 and didn't even notice a bump.
Should have followed Dad!
Got to talking with Dad Saturday morning, when he started talking about getting three wheelers in the mid 80's, I completely understood where he learned to pick a line.
I learned on a ATC, riding on ruts with wheels that don't line up will learn you fast.

advertisement