P700 Input on wiring a winch and accessories

P

Pedpole

Apr 12, 2020
UP
Ownership

1. 700-4
I picked up my 2020 700-4 deluxe today and am waiting for my winch and a few parts to show up. I have been reading up on wiring these and I think I have a plan but would like some input if I need to do anything different. I will be installing a badlands winch and have ordered a switch panel from crossroads sis and will install the winch switch in the panel along with a usb charger. I will install a 6 fuse panel and a Cole Hersey solenoid to power the switch panel. The solenoid will be powered by key on with harness from the club store. I will have the winch switch and usb charger on separate fuses in the panel. I am thinking about using a positive bus bar and run power to it and the feed the solenoid and winch from it. Don’t know if this is a good idea or if the winch needs to go direct to the battery. Do I need to run the negative for the winch to the battery or can it be grounded to the frame somewhere? I’m not an electrician and have learned a lot reading these forums and want to get this right..
Eventually I will add some lights and possibly a second battery but I don’t think I need it yet Which is why I am going to do the fuse panel and solenoid now.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am thinking about using a positive bus bar and run power to it and the feed the solenoid and winch from it. Don’t know if this is a good idea or if the winch needs to go direct to the battery.
Shouldnt cause any issues. i have my winch hooked up to a bus bar. It would have to be a really small bus bar to cause issues.

Do I need to run the negative for the winch to the battery or can it be grounded to the frame somewhere?
you can go to the frame just make sure you get a good ground point (clean paint off and secure it well). check your ground point for continuity with a meter to the negative battery terminal if possible.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck.

P

Pedpole

Apr 12, 2020
UP
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for your input. Parts should be in next week and I will start on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!