BRed Is this loud noise normal, loud ticking

N

NetStalker

Apr 16, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Big Red
Greetings everyone.

New to forum, new to Honda SxS. Just purchased a 2011 Honda Big Red MUV700. Engine was recently rebuilt. New Jug, New Piston, (not oversized), New rings, New top end with rebuilt valves, rocker arms, seals, etc. Reused existing Cam and Lifters (not sure but that may be a key point)

Question I have is the loud ticking noise that does not change from initial start through warmup. Valve clearances have been checked multiple times at TDC and are at .006 for intake and at .013 for exhaust.

Engine does not smoke, tops out at speed of about 40mph with two passengers, but it seems to be very very loud. I just dont know if its normal or not.

Video attached for reference. Loud Ticking Noise

Thanks for any assistance or potential diagnoses, or to tell me its a loud machine and deal with it.

Regards,

Allen

H

HondaTech

You may havr adjusted the valves on overlap instead of compression.

This would make the valves really loose on comptession and could your noise.

N

NetStalker

Apr 16, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Big Red
So I "think" i did it right, I set the little hash mark with the T on the flywheel to dead center on the observation window on the passenger side of the motor when i did my adjustments. Is that 180 out from where i should be to adjust?

I guess the real question i am asking is...does the T come around twice for each full cycle? shows a T on the flywheel at compression TDC and shows the T on the exhaust cycle at TDC? that could explain it. My "assumption" was that it only showed the T in the window at TDC for compression.

Last edited:
Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I "think" i did it right, I set the little hash mark with the T on the flywheel to dead center on the observation window on the passenger side of the motor when i did my adjustments. Is that 180 out from where i should be to adjust?

I guess the real question i am asking is...does the T come around twice for each full cycle? shows a T on the flywheel at compression TDC and shows the T on the exhaust cycle at TDC? that could explain it. My "assumption" was that it only showed the T in the window at TDC for compression.
Yes. The "T" will show at tdc on compression and again at top of the exhaust/start of the intake stroke. Go-to the 700 pioneer section here and you will find a couple of write ups on valve adjuments. It's the same engine.

And no...your video above is not normal at all, even taking into consideration that video can sometimes make things sound worse than they are.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

Any four stroke single cylinder engine will be on TDC twice, the T will appear at both times in the window.

At TDC "compression" the valves are loose and will be adjusted then to spec. On TDC "exhaust" or " overlap" the valves will both be slightly opened and the rockers will be tight. If the valves are adjusted at this point then they will be super loose on compression and loud as heck.

The 700 engine in the BigRed, Pioneer and Rincon sucks for checking timing, since the head has to be pulled to see the cam. The easiest way to see if this is the issue would be to set the engine at tdc where your valves are "adjusted" correctly and then turn the engine 180 degrees and align the "T" again and see what the rockers feel like. If there super loose, then they need to be adjusted to spec at that point. If they get tight, then you have other issues making the noise.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!