Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
If you are contemplating installing Illuminated Switches in a Base, Deluxe, or Trail Model Pioneer; try this.

First remove the far right switch. My Deluxe had a blank in this position. Reach thru the hood, up under the dash. Squeeze the upper and lower locking tabs together. Then push outward on the blank/ switch.
6EE776BF 620A 4AC9 A554 A68E976BD2D5

Upper and lower tabs on blank.

Once the right hand blank/switch has been removed, insert a 3” C-clamp into the open space.

A1B2B35D B8E3 4460 BB5B A387106265D5

With the C-clamp in place and no pressure on it, from the front of the vehicle , reach thru the hood, under the dash and push up and hold the bottom locking tab on the middle switch. With your other hand reach thru the windshield and lightly tighten the C-clamp. The bottom of the switch will pivot outward about a 1/4”.

Note : If your C- clamp won’t stay in place, insert a small piece of metal under the pivoting foot. I used a metal square.
9EC5B976 1EB3 41DF B67E 569983ED358E

At this point, insert a small screw driver at the top of the switch, between the switch and the dash. Lightly apply pressure upward and the top tab should release allowing the switch to pop out.

C646C02A 0507 4A1A 8F4C 5DE6C3ACC3EC

Repeat the process for the headlight switch on the left.

This is the C-clamp I used.
392BF825 813F 4544 8B57 5B6DD3A1D107

The connections for all the switches are mounted under the dash behind the “Your Gonna Die” warning label. I removed the label to access the wire mounting clips.

E564B508 4816 40E2 B14B 4BF2713D3A59

Hope this helps. It worked great for me. @HondaTech

Last edited:
M

Merv

Aug 30, 2022
VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking to remove the oversize headlight rocker switch and replace it with a Carling style LED rocker switch. Is there any way to gain access to these switches from the left side of the unit by removing certain panels, cowlings, fenders, etc?

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I just finished doing this on a members Pioneer Deluxe

The main issue is the lack of power for the light circuit in those connectors on the Deluxe model. The connectors are also 5 pin on the switch instead of 3 for the harness side.

1 of the lighted switches (headlights, i believe) also has a completely different plug then the original non lighted switch.

I ended up using a Aux connection on the Acc. fuse box to power the lights with the key on.

M

Merv

Aug 30, 2022
VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you gain access to the headlight switch? Is there access from the right side by removing fenders, trim, etc. above the right from tire area allowing access behind the “dash?”

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trail and Forest models have OEM back lit switches, so this would only apply to the EPS and Deluxe models.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I just finished doing this on a members Pioneer Deluxe

The main issue is the lack of power for the light circuit in those connectors on the Deluxe model. The connectors are also 5 pin on the switch instead of 3 for the harness side.

1 of the lighted switches (headlights, i believe) also has a completely different plug then the original non lighted switch.

I ended up using a Aux connection on the Acc. fuse box to power the lights with the key on.
Honda Tech was referring to my '22 Deluxe 1K5. While using my Pioneer after dark, I found the switches rendered useless due to the lack of light and them not being lit. At '23 TO, I fumbled with the switches every evening. After getting my machine back after HondaTech fixed my switches, what a transformation having lit switches. Granted I only paid $22K when I purchased, so what should one expect for this sum of $$? Hopefully someone with a brain, who works for Honda makes this standard issue going forward as well as returning to equipping their machine with LED Lighting once more. I've enjoyed my Pioneer so that I just purchased a new Talon Live Wire, but the first thing I asked was whether the switches were illuminated. My salesman looked at me as if I had ridden the short bus as a youngster. Really sad when a company offers this on 2 certain models while omitting the feature on the others. I've enjoyed my Pioneer, yet think Honda must employ some real Wankers, and obviously don't have any oversight with the ones making these type of decisions? Luckily HondaTech corrected, saved the day and all's good now.
Lastly, really surprised that Honda doesn't contact their customer's with regard to their purchase and service experience along with what people like and dislike about their machines? Maybe the folks who sold me the pioneer didn't send my info in with regard to purchase? It wasn't that bad of an experience, but it definitely wasn't the experience I had at Honda Of Fairfield. I'm anxiously awaiting the call to come pick it (Talon) up, but I did add a load of accessories. I usually install things myself because of my perfection thing, but after dealing with HondaTech, he's very particular with his work and John the parts manager has cut me deals on my farkles and sourced other items at a good price. Guys who sold me my Pioneer wanted retail for everything and were going to charge a card fee for all of my accessories. Night and day difference. Call these guys, they're amazing

IMG 0513 IMG 0514

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I
How did you gain access to the headlight switch? Is there access from the right side by removing fenders, trim, etc. above the right from tire area allowing access behind the “dash?”

I got them out from under the hood. It's a pain, but doable.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!