Man, Every 1200 Miles Comes Up Fast

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Seems like I just changed the oil in this thing. Coming up on 3600 miles and almost ready again. Do these things really need an oil change that often? I'm running the Honda synthetic oil. It looks clean when I check it. I mean my street bike is every 5000 miles. Isn't this engine a large bike engine? Just wandering what everone else does.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Seems like I just changed the oil in this thing. Coming up on 3600 miles and almost ready again. Do these things really need an oil change that often? I'm running the Honda synthetic oil. It looks clean when I check it. I mean my street bike is every 5000 miles. Isn't this engine a large bike engine? Just wandering what everone else does.
Street bike isn’t in the dust and grime though. I’m horrible at maintenance but on this machine I would suggest to change oil by recommended intervals or at least close. It’s a spendy engine if it were to have issues, plus transmission is linked to it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's because of the clutches using the same oil as the engine?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
While the engines are largely similar, the environment in which most operate a SXS vs a street motorcycle aren't the same.

Oil & filters are relatively inexpensive and changing any of it is not difficult at all. I sleep well.

If you're particularly anal and want to know what's going on inside your engine, you can always send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I did that religiously with my F350 Super Duty Powerstroke, but that was a significantly larger investment that came with the potential for a significantly larger repair bill if you didn't pay attention ... and far more expensive oil changes.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
While the engines are largely similar, the environment in which most operate a SXS vs a street motorcycle aren't the same.

Oil & filters are relatively inexpensive and changing any of it is not difficult at all. I sleep well.
Exactly. I'm way under the recommended oil change intervals because I don't want to go over while on vacation.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The oil changes come up fast for me, I'm over 8,000 miles on my 2020 Talon and getting close to 38,000 miles on my 2019 Talon. I change the oil on time and use full synthetic. Both still run like new. It looks like if maintained properly these engines should go to around 70,000 miles before major repair is necessary.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
you can always send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis
@Bighat I suggest what @Scoop said if u really want to know what your oil is like at that mile interval and if its worth changing then. Of corse the environment its in, how good your air filtration is makes the difference but everyone with that is different. I did this with my 16’ P1 cuz of the environment its mostly in now (farm rig) and my oil breakdown (blackstone) i use Rotella T6 since second oil change, Is 1/2 broken down as before in the same milage. Im roughly every 2k now just for spite on the P1. Also dont go by date vrs miles, bunch of BS unless its years lol. Again, everyone is different. Send it in at this milage your at and find out. Come back and give us the results.

Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
These things take oil?? I swear I just pour cash down those little holes😜
I’m contemplating sending a sample in to see what the report says. Anyone know if they check for dirt while checking for the different metals?

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Bighat I suggest what @Scoop said if u really want to know what your oil is like at that mile interval and if its worth changing then. Of corse the environment its in, how good your air filtration is makes the difference but everyone with that is different. I did this with my 16’ P1 cuz of the environment its mostly in now (farm rig) and my oil breakdown (blackstone) i use Rotella T6 since second oil change, Is 1/2 broken down as before in the same milage. Im roughly every 2k now just for spite on the P1. Also dont go by date vrs miles, bunch of BS unless its years lol. Again, everyone is different. Send it in at this milage your at and find out. Come back and give us the results.
Remi nails it. Our individual riding conditions vary wildly and analysis is the only way to know. I haven't done it yet and know I should.

fwiw: I've upped my change intervals to 1500 miles
because those increments are easier for me to remember and I 'usually' ride like an old woman. I should have switched to T6 (full syn) then but already had dino on the shelf. I have T6 on the trailer right now and my future changes will be T6. Full syn 'should' cover those extra 300 miles safely. IMO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came from the 700 to 1000 which the 700 recommends changing every 600 miles. To me oil was cheaper than the headache it could cause, so I actually changed the 700 at every 400 miles. When I got my 1000 I figured I would do it every 600 miles just for cheap insurance. After about 4 changes the oil looked very clean at this interval, so I've went to every 1000 miles. I figured it was easier to keep track of.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m contemplating sending a sample in to see what the report says. Anyone know if they check for dirt while checking for the different metals?
I'm pretty sure they do, dirt shows up as 'silicates' if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm pretty sure they do, dirt shows up as 'silicates' if I remember correctly.
Silicon.

Of course, while that will show up, these analyses are really for tracking how and why your engine is wearing and what is wearing, based on all the various levels of elements in the sample.

Attached is a sample report from Blackstone Labs for gas/diesel engine oil analysis, including a basic explanation.

Attachments

• Understanding-Engine-combined.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do more oil changes in a week then most do in there lifetime, I know dirty oil. I change both of mine every 2k and its still not contaminated. the p1000 filters dct oil before its dumped back into oil pan to be filtered again, so there's slim chance of clutch fiber getting into oil. I get oil for free and still won't waste it every 600 miles

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do more oil changes in a week then most do in there lifetime, I know dirty oil. I change both of mine every 2k and its still not contaminated. the p1000 filters dct oil before its dumped back into oil pan to be filtered again, so there's slim chance of clutch fiber getting into oil. I get oil for free and still won't waste it every 600 miles
You've got to be right because my oil looks super clean every time I change it. I know a lot of it is I'm not riding trails eating someones dust. It's mostly on pasture, blacktop and gravel rodes. If you were riding in dirt alot, then yes, you would need to keep and eye on your oil and change it more often. That's probably how Honda has come up with this schedule. Most people are more likely riding these things for sport and therefore in a much more dirty enviroment.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You've got to be right because my oil looks super clean every time I change it. I know a lot of it is I'm not riding trails eating someones dust. It's mostly on pasture, blacktop and gravel rodes. If you were riding in dirt alot, then yes, you would need to keep and eye on your oil and change it more often. That's probably how Honda has come up with this schedule. Most people are more likely riding these things for sport and therefore in a much more dirty enviroment.
Sport is an overrated term. I like to consider it a thorough punishment towards the woods.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!